Author Topic: My first painting  (Read 1110 times)

Offline airbumba

• Silver Member
My first painting
« on: June 09, 2005, 06:54:43 PM »
Here’s the painting I’ve been working on, and am still working on.. I now know it’s too small of a format, and that’s why I found it so hard to do details, well live and learn. It’s my first painting. Next, and presently, I’m doing larger landscapes, I’ll go back to aviation stuff when I learn how to paint better.

My mom’s a retired Dr. who’s also a known painter and now has free time to paint, and teach me. But she doesn’t do aviation art, so I’ll be learning landscapes and portrait stuff all this summer, and then hopefully use them skills to do real nice aviation art in the future. Half of the beauty of the known av. Art dudes is how well they do their backgrounds, so I figure I’m on the right track.

I wish to thank Roscoroo for the maps I used for the land and sea. Also thanks to Golfer for the winter sky photos he sent me, these were the basis of the painting. guys. Also thanks to Nuttz, who took the time to answer my rookie questions, and I’m looking forward to trying airbrushing .

Before ya’ll eat me alive, remember it’s my first attempt. I hope you like it.

Koldkill

81/2x11  acrylic on canvas, with ink highlites.
I used to be a fatalist,
but that part of me died.

Offline TheThang

• Copper Member
My first painting
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 07:01:45 PM »
very nice. I have never been artistic enough to do anything in the art department

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
My first painting
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 07:27:48 PM »
For a first attempt, that's really quite outstanding. Find an artist that you like and dissect their style, like color choices, contrasts, form, etc. Don't approach it that aviation art is different than other art... it's all highlights, shadows, and depth, no matter what the subject is.

You have a golden opportunity having a mom that paints. Learn everything you can from her... it all applies.

Keep it up!:aok
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 08:19:56 PM by Dux »
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline MOIL

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ltar.org
My first painting
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 07:49:01 PM »
Looks good bumba:aok

Do one of the Wirbelwind ;)

Offline doobs

• Silver Member
My first painting
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 07:53:13 PM »
bumba some of the #'s where your supposed to paint are showing j/k.

I was lucky to get an advanced screening a couple weeks ago.
R.I.P JG44
(founding XO)

68KO always remembered

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
My first painting
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 08:08:07 PM »
Very nice  :)  gonna stick with aviation or maybe move to some ground targets? ;)

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
My first painting
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 08:20:33 PM »
Looks Good :aok

Charon

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
      • http://www.mikethinks.com
My first painting
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 09:45:10 PM »
Very nice for a first endeavor for sure.  I found that when I dabble in paints, that I love acrylics for my hard line subjects (cartoons, machines etc), but I cant get the smooth realistic feel that oils give.....but the damn oils are much harder to paint with.

I was never very successful with smoke or flames, but I did feel the oils 'felt' better for them.  Good news is that if you get good with the medium you choose, you can pretty much make it look good...its only us duffers that blame the clubbs:D

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
My first painting
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 09:50:41 PM »
Nice job Bumba!  Ive been doing some water color the past year. I find it easier to visualize in my mind's eye than to apply it to paper. Its hard :)

~AoM~

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
My first painting
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 12:17:26 AM »
That's really good...  If I showed you all my first painting you'd all pitch in to rent me one of those small buses...
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline SFCHONDO

• Silver Member
My first painting
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 12:30:10 AM »
Nice job bumba. Keep up the great work :aok
        HONDO
DENVER BRONCOS    

Retired from AH

Offline Clip121

• Copper Member
My first painting
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 06:49:35 AM »
great work there bumba!!!  

Clip

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
My first painting
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 07:29:36 AM »
Cool stuff. Stay at it.
  If that`s your first attempt, then we have some great work to look forward to from you.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Edbert1

• Silver Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
My first painting
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 08:01:03 AM »
Man, that puts my "first painting" to shame...WTG.

Having been a painiter for about 25 years before I got too busy/distracted to keep it up I thought I'd throw out some more info for you.
  • Work in large formats, start with a 24X48 or so and with some practice you can get up to a 48X96 size. Many of those famous avaition artists use HUGE canvasses, it allows for much detail to be put in and when they are reduced for prints they look simply amazing.
  • Start small with your next one, do an initail pencil sketch on 8.5X11 and redo it several times until you get all the lines and perspectives just right, THEN blow it up to the larger size. Use a projector so you can trace it onto the large canvas.
  • ALWAYS do the skies first, then the landscapes. Leaving the planes for last is hard since they are the fun part but the finished product will look best with this approach. In fact don't even draw the planes onto the canvas until the rest is done, then you can use the projector again to position them JUST right.
  • In general, try to lighten up things more than what seems appropriate, paintings tend to get too dark if you let them, and it is harder to lighten things up than it is to darken them if needed later. But it looks like you are not having that problem.

Keep it up, I look forward to seeing more.

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
My first painting
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 09:57:55 AM »
Looks great for a first effort! :aok I like the colour tone - very cold.  I'm looking forward to seeing your next works :).

Cheers,
asw
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat