Author Topic: Cougar VS CH Combatstick + Throttle  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Cougar VS CH Combatstick + Throttle
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2005, 10:04:43 AM »
Rgr Ghosth I liked the Sidewinder alot but time to move on, and I always thought it was a bit too light when it came to resistance.

I've decided for the Cougar, non moded in the beginning as I have no money for that, we'll see in the future.

The X52 seems to be nice yes BUT, the review I read specified that it was never very accurate from the beginning (like most other cheaper sticks such as the Fox 2 Pro, Cyborg Evo etc etc) and it was definatly in on my list till I read the above.

What I want now is to get away from the cheaper, often inaccurate sticks aswell as have lots of buttons. Hopefully the cougar will be right for me but we won't know till I get it and have flown with it for a while...

As for designing a stick, I'm all in! Actually thought about it a few days ago aswell, so if you got any sugestions... :)
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Alpha81

• Zinc Member
Cougar Experience
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2005, 07:04:56 PM »
Have had my cougar for 6 months now, I wouldn't trade it in for all the tea in China... Yes I had problems with the Pots spiking and replaced them, the Hall Effect Sensors form Cubplilot are fantastic and eliminate any and all spiking issues. My hands never touch the keyboard during flight other than when I must text message, and calibrate bombing run. True that the springs are strong initially but either they soften up or your muscles develop so that you don't notice any fatigue. Having all those 4 ways at your finger tips is simply a must have now.

If you do have issue with the Cougar, (ie. Pots) It is made of metal and is easily opened, with plenty of room to work, I think that in itself is a great reason. I can't tell you how many times I' ve opened plastic "toys" and never gotten them back together quite right.  Anyway that's my 2 cents worth...:aok
"it's a fire mister, and every fire is dangerous"

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2005, 07:07:58 PM »
Thanks Alpha much appriciated and it makes me feel that my decission to go fo the Cougar is right. Maybe I will have issues (probarly) but hopefully it will be worth it :)
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2005, 05:59:24 AM »
Good luck Wilbus!

I am very inetersted in this subject and would love to design a joystick.

I hope you get on well with the Cougar, I don't think you will ever want to go back to a budget stick anyhow:aok

I still stick to my take on CH/Cougar debate though.;)

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2005, 06:13:29 AM »
Thank you very much Fogold, I hope and think I will be very happy about it once I get used to it and I hope I won't have much touble with it. I understand your opinion about CH/Cougar but a stick, no matter how durable is not a good stick if one does not feel comftortable with it :)

And no, I don't think I will ever want to go back to a budget stick, they are just too inaccurate.

As for designing sticks, no people in the world would be better suited for it then flight sim fliers I'm quite sure :)
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Offline Connection

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2005, 04:52:10 PM »
The CH sticks can be easily moded with O-rings to be as stiff as a Cougar.

I have my Fighterstick to be midway stiff between the cougar and regular CH. Great stick by the way.

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2005, 07:42:03 PM »
I have a Cougar and I think it's the ultimate joystick for me.  That being said, there is nothing wrong with CH and you can't beat Saitec for the price.

It has flaws, but this is my hobby, and stick modification is part of the game.  I like the ability to program the stick, and I find it a fun and a challenge to make it work as I want it to work.  I think people who want to just plug it in and play a game will prefer the CH gear.

I have Cubby's Hall Sensors, and I am considerng getting some Uber gimbals for my next upgrade.  I like this stick and plan to keep it for a long time, so for me it is worth it.

Good luck in your decision.

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2005, 11:40:37 PM »
Cougar
Uber II Mod + Hall sensors(best stick I have ever used way far the best)
but man It wouldnt stop stretching springs.
So I sold it for 80% of what I had into it and now I just play with a full top end CH set that costs the same as the base cougar but seems to last way better.
I would never recomend the cougar, unless your a joystick hobiest and not a flight sim hobiest

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2005, 05:28:35 AM »
The Cougar is not worth the money. I had two and couldnt keep them in working order. ( still have one if some wants to buy it, make an offer)

I have the X52, its probably the best you can get as far a twisty sticks. Its really a nice set up. Its for sale too becuae I want CH stuff. Nothing wrong with it, I just want new toys.:D

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2005, 06:26:52 AM »
Slash, the review I read about the X52 vs the CH Combatstick + Pro Throttle gave both setups a very high grade. the CH setup got 90% and the X52 got 88%. He liked the X52 throttle so much that he actually prefered it over the CH throttle BUT the stick, which is the most important thing IMO, was not as accurate as the CH stick. This is what I wanna get away from. Accuracy near the center zone. The Fox 2 Pro I have is way to jumpy near the center zone for me, it's not spikes, it's just not very good just like many other budget sticks. This makes small adjustments impossible to make even though I've used the stick for a long time now.

How do you like the X52 and how accurate is it? Is it very easy to make small adjustments (and I mean SMALL) near the center zone or do you often over-do the maneuver?
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2005, 08:21:37 AM »
Originally posted by Wilbus
Got a X? X45?

Anybody know anything about the X52?

had X45 for years with the replacement plans from bestbuy or compusa but last time I tried to replaced the x45 at compusa, they didnt carry it anymore so I grabbed the x52

not a month later I ordered another x45 from circuitcity with a 4 year replacement plan ($5 a year after original Saitek 12 month warranty)

I found x52 to hard to aim with - nice programming but not as well setup as the x45 nor as tight a feel

x45 with peds - a great setup for the money, just get the service plan as you will use it..they don't last
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 08:28:10 AM by Eagler »
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2005, 08:43:11 AM »
Rgr Eagler, that's what I feared. The X45 doesn't work with my hands however, that's why the X52 would be better as it can be adjusted.

Maybe one could mod the X52 with better pots to make it accurate, we'll see what happens in the future. Got a Cougar on the way to be soon though and I hope and think I will be like it once I get used to it :)
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2005, 09:01:37 AM »
Wilbus, save yourself some trouble and just get the CH setup. :)

I have small hands too, but I adapted to the Fighterstick and now I dont even notice it.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2005, 10:09:35 AM »
How do you like the X52 and how accurate is it? Is it very easy to make small adjustments (and I mean SMALL) near the center zone or do you often over-do the maneuver?

While I am pleased with X-52 set up, the "center zone"  is something Ive always been annoyed with. The X-52 doesnt solve the issue. Its not really that bad in the center but it isnt a precise as I want. It was an impulse buy to begin with, I saw it on the shelf and the "MUST HAVE" voice spoke. I should have spent the cash on CH stuff since that was the plan before hand.

Like Grits said, just go CH:aok

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2005, 02:02:09 PM »
Rgr Grits and Slash, too late though, Cougar should be on the way soon. We'll see how it turns out :)

I hope it won't give me too much trouble, guess if I does one should be able to send it back to the store saying it doesn't work like it should.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson