Author Topic: Sportsman in the game  (Read 773 times)

Offline _Ro_

• Zinc Member
Sportsman in the game
« on: June 10, 2005, 12:01:12 PM »
For the sake of discussion, I would like to see how people view beng a sportsman.

I am probably a below average virtual pilot at best. I just happen to be the CO of the 487th FS (roped into that job, but i wont point fingers SHIFTY!)

Anyway, it would seem to me the fun of the game for the more advanced sticks out there is to fly planes that are somewhat at a disadvantage. To try and over come the weakness and turn them into a strength. I too enjoy a 2-3 ping cannon kills but the fun is short lived from being too easy. I guess I can equate this to a deer hunter with a high powered rifle with a scope the size of a bazooka. He just wants a kill the easiest way possible. Not much sport in my opinion. Use open sites or better yet use a recurve bow, use your stealth and skill as a true hunter and sportsman.

Sure, In real life when i was a line grunt we would use all available resourses to obtain victory. It wasn't a sport or a game.

Again this is just for discussion, I'm not pointing fingers and some guys prefer certain plane types over others. Or there squad is based off a certain side or country. We pay to play, so to each his own.

Opinions? Views?

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Sportsman in the game
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 12:07:58 PM »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Sportsman in the game
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 12:12:33 PM »
Originally posted by _Ro_

Anyway, it would seem to me the fun of the game for the more advanced sticks out there is to fly planes that are somewhat at a disadvantage. To try and over come the weakness and turn them into a strength.  

I don't know how you can equate that with sportsmanship.  It's not what  you fly that makes you a sportman but rather how you play the game.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Re: Sportsman in the game
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 12:38:27 PM »
Originally posted by _Ro_
Anyway, it would seem to me the fun of the game for the more advanced sticks out there is to fly planes that are somewhat at a disadvantage. To try and over come the weakness and turn them into a strength. I too enjoy a 2-3 ping cannon kills but the fun is short lived from being too easy. I guess I can equate this to a deer hunter with a high powered rifle with a scope the size of a bazooka. He just wants a kill the easiest way possible. Not much sport in my opinion. Use open sites or better yet use a recurve bow, use your stealth and skill as a true hunter and sportsman.

I do that Ro, but I do it just because its more fun to fly the challenging planes. I dont blame for choosing the best planes, but I'm usually in the less uber ones unless I'm way outnumbered.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Sportsman in the game
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 12:46:11 PM »
I dunno.  It is and it isnt.  I mean, if you fly older, less lethal planes as a personal challenge, then it has nothing to do with sportsmanship.  But if you do it because you want to equalize things for the other guys, or make it better for them, or to handicap yourself for their benefit, then yes, I'd say thats a sportsmanship thing.  Like switching sides, or staying out of a good 1v1 or 2v2.  Unless I'm in a "base defense" mode, or assigned to a CAP, where I shoot anything red as fast as I can get it in my sights, I always try to ask first before jumping into an even fight.  Now if someone asks for help, of course I'll help em out anyway I can.  Otherwise, if I see a 1v1 I figure both guys upped fighters looking for a fight, found it, and I'll go find my own.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Sportsman in the game
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 12:52:42 PM »
Well, I would have said that I fly less uber planes to make it more fair to the other side, but thats kinda conceited eh? :)

Its really some of both to me, some of its for the challenge, but I also dont enjoy pummeling someone who I am clearly better than, its just not fun.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Sportsman in the game
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 01:01:54 PM »
Everyone has their own approach I guess.

For me it's to fly the planes that have kept me locked into the history and that's the P38G or the Spits, although it's primarily the G model Lightning right now.

It's not for the challenge so much as it helps me feel closer to that history.

As for sportsmanship.  For me, I just can't ever take the game that seriously.  I want to do well and continue to try and improve, but I don't worry if I die as I'm not really dying and I'll dive into the crowd just to see how long I last.

I could care less about stats or perks and get a lot of enjoyment from the folks I've gotten to know a bit through the game.

It doesn't mean I don't want to win the fights, but if I lose it's not the end of the world as I'm not really dead :)

Sometimes the flight outbound can be that much fun for me too, in particular if it's a flight of 38s winging their way to the fight.  It just looks cool to me looking out at those other Lightnings and being a part of it.

Dan/CorkyJr
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline _Ro_

• Zinc Member
Sportsman in the game
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 01:03:03 PM »
Maybe is should have used "Challenge" instead of 'Sportsman". I'm not the most eloquent sob when posting on these boards.

I think Grits sees what I'm trying to say.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Sportsman in the game
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 01:13:11 PM »
I pick what I can fly the best given the side I am which is determined by numbers when I log on and what planeset it has that given week

this week it'll be the 109e on axis and it doesn't matter on allied as I stink equally in the planeset there :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Sportsman in the game
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 01:23:51 PM »
Originally posted by Guppy35

For me it's to fly the planes that have kept me locked into the history and that's the P38G or the Spits, although it's primarily the G model Lightning right now.

As for sportsmanship.  For me, I just can't ever take the game that seriously.  I want to do well and continue to try and improve, but I don't worry if I die as I'm not really dying and I'll dive into the crowd just to see how long I last.

I could care less about stats or perks and get a lot of enjoyment from the folks I've gotten to know a bit through the game.

It doesn't mean I don't want to win the fights, but if I lose it's not the end of the world as I'm not really dead :)

Sometimes the flight outbound can be that much fun for me too, in particular if it's a flight of 38s winging their way to the fight.  It just looks cool to me looking out at those other Lightnings and being a part of it.

Dan/CorkyJr

Oh, I agree 100%.  I mean, I normally fly the F4U-1 because ...... well I chose to join a Corsiar squad, so its understood thats the default plane.  I use the -1 as my default fighter, the -1D as my default "attack" plane for dive bombing and base CAP.  I almost never fly the CHog or the -4 because historically they just didnt see nearly as much service.  Also, while I normally dont give a rip about perks, I do like to have them if necessary, so I dont like wasting them for no purpose.  Anything I can do in the -1C and the -4, I can do in my rides (it just takes longer lol).  I did try flying the -1C last night, and found it was far too easy to get kills in, so I went back to the -1D.  It felt a little off, because I'm not used to using it as a dedicated fighter, but it's capable enough.  After a few twists and turns with those Ki's though, picking off little pieces here and there, you know you've done something in the -1D.  In the -1C their wings fall off after the first hit.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Sportsman in the game
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 02:20:48 PM »
i dunno... if i get a 3-4 on 1 you bet your hiney i want some cannon to take as many of the *unsporting* lamers out asap.

so which is the lesser of two evils - a good stick in a good plane, or a horde of ganging slobberdonkeys (probably in good planes as well)?

read my sig.  :D :aok
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Sportsman in the game
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 03:30:23 PM »
Originally posted by Shane
[B
so which is the lesser of two evils - a good stick in a good plane, or a horde of ganging slobberdonkeys (probably in good planes as well)?

read my sig.  :D :aok [/B]

A good stick without a keyboard :lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Sportsman in the game
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 03:31:41 PM »
Originally posted by Grits
I do that Ro, but I do it just because its more fun to fly the challenging planes. I dont blame for choosing the best planes, but I'm usually in the less uber ones unless I'm way outnumbered.

I don't.  I always take the best plane available because, running is a sport.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Sportsman in the game
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 11:50:38 PM »
Originally posted by Grits

Actually, we're required to do this in Grits' squad.  Usually it's a lot of fun, because often the weakest planes are the most fun to fly.  AND because you get a huge thrill if you can actually get a kill while flying one of them.

- oldman (I draw my own personal line at the FW190A8, though)

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
Sportsman in the game
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2005, 08:20:36 AM »
Originally posted by Guppy35

Dan/CorkyJr

!!! Guppy:)