Author Topic: offline stalls/spins  (Read 437 times)

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
offline stalls/spins
« on: June 10, 2005, 09:03:55 PM »
How do I turn off any stall limiters or spin limiters off when I'm trying to practice them?  I can get to the stall limiter, but which setting is turned off?  (uncheck stall limiter?  check stall limiter disable?)  And I haven't yet thrown my p38L into a spin.  Thanks for all your help.  I can see where I'll need more ram online, but off, I'm getting 45 -75 fps.

Offline CPorky

• Copper Member
offline stalls/spins
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 06:47:21 AM »
Make sure 'enable stall limiter' is NOT checked. This will allow you fly closer to the edge and be able to depart from normal flight.

P38s are a little more resistant to entering spins beacause their engines spin in opposite directions, closely neutralizing torque for each engine.

With those frames, I'm not sure why you couldn't fly online.

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
offline stalls/spins
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 07:41:20 AM »
Thanks.  I've had the the stall limiter unchecked, but the 38 should go into a spin if I stall it straight up.  Instead, I seem to be performing a slow hammerhead which gets a lot quicker with some good rudder input.  I'll try spins in a dora next, that should get me something.  The reason I would like more ram, is my 256 ram is maxed out offline (usually shows 237 - 240 used during flight) and it did stutter a half second when the drone liberator went down in flames.  Oh, you guys always make nice, gentle, level turns to the left on line, correct?  I'm getting pretty good at the deflection shots on those drones, so I'm sure I'll just tear up MA!
dhaus  (<----- baby seal in training)

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
offline stalls/spins
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 08:41:23 AM »
dhaus, the P38 propellers spin in opposite directions. What this does is eliminate torque felt through the airframe.

The main reason that an aircraft may enter a spin during a stall is the torque caused by the engine causes a twisting moment along the airframe, causing a wing to dip.

No torque = lateral stability.

You can make the P38 spin still, it just doesn't inherently drop a wing under normal stall conditions.

Cheers,
RTR
The Damned

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
offline stalls/spins
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 09:23:05 AM »
Thanks RTR, I'm a big fan of the 38 and know about the counter rotating props and the gentle spin characteristics.  (Also about the fowler flaps, how to walk it over a loop with the flaps at 120 or less and want to try the nose mounted guns  :)  I'm sure I'll learn how to die in it real well too!)  I just can't seem to make ANYTHING spin offline.  Just had the dora up (verticle at <100 mph) it just went into a gentle stall falling to the left.  Similar with the chog.  No matter how much control input I make as I'm stalling, I can't spin stuff.  I guess I'll just have to try online.  I'm positive I'll be able to spin out there - probably just as I'm about to get a shot off or, more likely, evade someone on my tail!  (Which is why I'd like to learn how to recover in AH.)
dhaus (<-------- baby seal in training.)

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
offline stalls/spins
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 07:57:43 PM »
dhaus:

In the extreme vertical (near 90 degrees nose up) it's harder to stall aircraft because less lift is needed since the weight vector is mainly in the thrust-drag axis and with little weight opposite lift therefore harder to exceed critical aoa conditions.

A couple of other ways is to hold wings level as you chop throttle to idle or pull up into a steeper climb (45 degrees nose up) while holdiing your nose up while your speed drops.

In both cases as your speed drops while holding your aircraft attitude (wings level or nose high at a fixed angle) you'll reach a velocity below the min needed for critical aoa/ lift needed to satisfy L=W and depart from flight in a stall.  Kick and hold right or left rudder while applying elevator pressure at this time and this should start you into a spin.

You can also try the "accelerated" stall version of this for nastier spins by wings level abrupt high-g pull-ups while at high speeds.

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 08:17:04 PM by dtango »
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
offline stalls/spins
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 08:05:21 AM »
Thanks!!  Now I have to pull out my dog eared copy of Brook's How to Fly and Fight in Air Warrior to try and reread all of that AOA information. I've noticed he is posting on these boards.  I never had a chance to thank him for that incredible write up.  It really shortened the learning curve in AW.
dhaus <-------- baby seal in training