Midway
« on: June 18, 2005, 09:18:25 PM »
Battle of Midway
Size: 1.96MB
Description:
Task Force 16 has 1 Carrier, 4 Cruisers, 6 Destroyers
Task Force 17 has 2 Carriers, 4 Cruisers, 12 Destroyers
Japanese Main Battle Fleet has 4 Carriers, 4 Cruisers, 9 Destroyers
2 Japanese Invasion Fleets to the South East of the map (consists of destroyers and Barges)

I know that seems like a lot of ships, so I upped an SBD and climbed to 10k. Then I chanded that fleet to knight and hit TF 17 and with all those ships shooting at me I was able to get 3 direct hits on a carrier, hit the deck and get out of gun range with no damage.
I upped a D3A at the Japanese fleet did the same thing, 10k, made it bish and was able to get 3 direct hits on a carrier and hit the deck with no damage.
That convinced me it wasnt too much, and in F3 view with full vis range on and all of the ships shooting at me the lowest my FPS was 24 (and yall know I dont exactly have the best computer).

Im still working on Japanese skins, but other than that viola!

Offline Sp4de

• Silver Member
      • http://www.freewebs.com/decommissisoned1/
Midway
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 10:22:31 PM »
That looks great!
My offer still stands if you need help with texturing give me a ring
kyleisme13@hotmail.com

Offline Diamax

• Copper Member
Midway
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 11:06:01 PM »
From what I see in these screenshots, I really like it, when do you think is going to be ready for release?
I really want to see it.

Keep workin on it!
Diamax

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Midway
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 03:03:28 AM »
You're way ahead of me on this stuff.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Midway
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 08:32:35 PM »

I tried to save time on the B5N by using octavious's skin and turning it into another one, so I cant really take credit for this skin.

I think I am now finished, and now will start looking for bugs (havent seen any so far:aok )

Offline Diamax

• Copper Member
Midway
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005, 10:17:19 PM »
When you see them shoot'em down, so when people play your terrain don't have to worry about those bogies... lol
I really want to see this terrain it seems to be on my taste, from what I've see on those pics.
Please post a link here to your terrain when it is finished.
Diamax

Offline SkyChimp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Midway
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 01:19:47 AM »
Raptor takes 30min downloadin your map from u =(
Send it by email

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Midway
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 02:27:18 AM »
It's available at Roscoroo's Site

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Midway
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 09:18:40 AM »
Originally posted by Raptor01
...so I cant really take credit for this skin.

hehe... were you taking credit for the other skins? ;)
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Midway
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 10:28:43 AM »
Good job Raptor.

Keeping the above in mind and that I freely admit I’m not in the same league, I noticed a couple of things, simple one first.

I noticed the alpha is making rolling down the west portion of main runway bumpy.  I usually fix this by checking “Set to Terrain Alt” in the “Object Properties” dialog box (TE) but I don’t think it will work here because you may not have changed your alpha bitmap under the field tile.  You might check your setting anyway.

You and Squirrel didn’t use the same bitmap texture and it’s making the tile borders mismatch around the island.

Also, I was wondering if a plane could fall through your “water” areas to the underlying water tile if the alpha maps were changed under the “water” around the island?  Something like this was done to allow PT boats to run up rivers so I would think it would work for you. Edit: So planes couldn't land on water and taxi around. End edit.

Btw, I get nice frame rates on your map.  That was another pleasant surprise.  Again, good job.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 10:34:27 AM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline SkyChimp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Midway
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005, 10:37:16 AM »
Awww how come u can delete your post =(

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Midway
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 10:43:55 AM »
Click the check box on the left, then hit delete.:p :lol

Works wonders for those double posts.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Midway
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 11:27:21 AM »
Originally posted by Dux
hehe... were you taking credit for the other skins? ;)

Sorry, wasnt posting consecutivley and got mixed up. Greebo made the F4F, Dawg made the P40B and I have no idea who made the TBM, found it somewhere in the back of my computer with spider webs on it. I did make the B17, SBD, A6M, and D3A.
Also, I was wondering if a plane could fall through your “water” areas to the underlying water tile if the alpha maps were changed under the “water” around the island? Something like this was done to allow PT boats to run up rivers so I would think it would work for you. Edit: So planes couldn't land on water and taxi around. End edit.

I dont know that this can be done? If it were possible I think HTC might have used it with the "Swamp" tile.
I took Squirrel's coral texture from AH1, made it 512x512 and split it up into 4 parts for terr0001, terr0101, terr0201 and terr0301. Then I went and manually made each tile go in order 0, 1, 2, 3.

Offline Paul

• Copper Member
      • http://fatesquad.com
Midway
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2005, 12:16:41 PM »
Wow! Looks great Raptor! Wonderful job on that terrain!

The only thing lacking in this game is nice looking terrain. Thanks for helping sort the problem out!

:aok

-Paul

Offline Diamax

• Copper Member
Midway
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2005, 01:30:58 PM »
Hello Raptor, nice terrain, but I thought that there were going to be airfields for 2 countries...
Otherwise I like it, it looks original.
Ahh one more thing, I think there should be more choices on the planes one can fly, but I guess all together you actually want to keep it acurate...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 01:33:03 PM by Diamax »
Diamax