Author Topic: after TOD for West Europe.... who's next?  (Read 413 times)

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
after TOD for West Europe.... who's next?
« on: June 23, 2005, 04:32:16 PM »
Who should be next...

Eastern Front planeset
(i would love to see La-7 re-done)

or

Pacific planeset?
(btw N1K2-J needs some serious overhaulin)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: after TOD for West Europe.... who's next?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 10:06:36 PM »
Originally posted by 1K3
Who should be next...

Eastern Front planeset
(i would love to see La-7 re-done)

or

Pacific planeset?
(btw N1K2-J needs some serious overhaulin)

5th AF New Guinia, Bismark Sea, Rabaul etc.

Aussies, New Zealanders, and USAAF birds vs the Japanese stuff.

I suppose an early LW vs Soviet Union campaign would be interesting to do too.

Then again North Africa, MTO would involve a lot of action as well.... :)

Dan/CorkyJr
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: after TOD for West Europe.... who's next?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 10:16:23 PM »
Originally posted by Guppy35

Dan/CorkyJr

GC and the Slot.

Go Navy.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 09:59:32 AM »
Pacific would be cool, Go Navy Indeed :D

Im interested in how rank and scoring will work, and if you can have multiple careers under one account. I guess Im just speculating, because it might not work that way at all.

Wish we had some new info :D
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 01:12:51 PM »
for some strange reason most people think ww11 started in 1941   umm wrong itt started in 1939,but of course this nt be in tour of duty,not enough american planes.
     i  like to see tour of dut progress  all the way through from 1939  to 1945  marking the most historic moments in history as well.
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline Howitzer

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 01:56:35 PM »
LOL I'd like to see ToD first before I comment on what should be next.  

:aok

Offline SELECTOR

• Gold Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 02:37:21 PM »
cc rogerdee .. the yanks were late again..hehe

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 03:25:01 PM »

Aussies, New Zealanders, and USAAF birds vs the Japanese stuff.

I suppose an early LW vs Soviet Union campaign would be interesting to do too.

Then again North Africa, MTO would involve a lot of action as well....

Dan/CorkyJr

The Eastern Front is always hectic fun, but the planes are really lacking for the VVS.. sheesh, they got no planes before '43 currently!

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 10:55:26 PM »
Originally posted by rogerdee
for some strange reason most people think ww11 started in 1941   umm wrong itt started in 1939,but of course this nt be in tour of duty,not enough american planes.
     i  like to see tour of dut progress  all the way through from 1939  to 1945  marking the most historic moments in history as well.

When the **** did world war eleven start?

Anyhow from my perspective it has less to do with "American" planes, and more to do with Carrier Warfare.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 11:00:38 PM »
Originally posted by rogerdee

I was kind of thinking a time frame that involved all the participants would be better.

the 5th AF bit includes 24s, 17s, 26s, P40s for USAAF, RAAF, RNZAF, Spit Vs for the Aussies, A20s for USAAF and RAAF, All the Navy birds with RNZAF SBDs and F4Us, obviously USN and USMC Wildcats, Hellcats and Corsairs as well as TBFs and SBDs.  USAAF Jugs and 38s.

Needless to say it leaves a lot of options and I didn't even mention the Japanese planes :)

Dan/CorkyJr
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2005, 09:32:40 AM »
Originally posted by Guppy35

Needless to say it leaves a lot of options and I didn't even mention the Japanese planes :)

Dan/CorkyJr

To do a proper TOD for the SWPA, the Japanese plane set will need at least 3 additions:

KI-43
A6M3
G4M1

With these added, the big gap between early 1942 and 1944 will be filled to a reasonable degree.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2005, 10:44:33 AM »
Widewing, I agree 100% we need Oscar and Betty.

But, I fail to understand what substantive difference is represented by A6M3. Very few were produced (relative to A6M2 and A6M5) and the performance specs of A6M3 are very similar to A6M5.

I would appreciate knowing your reasoning, mindful of limitations at HTC in terms of resources available for modeling new aircraft.

I'm thinking that either P-39, Buffalo, or PBY would be more essential additions to the PAC theater planeset than A6M3.

culero
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2005, 11:27:10 AM »
Originally posted by culero
Widewing, I agree 100% we need Oscar and Betty.

But, I fail to understand what substantive difference is represented by A6M3. Very few were produced (relative to A6M2 and A6M5) and the performance specs of A6M3 are very similar to A6M5.

I would appreciate knowing your reasoning, mindful of limitations at HTC in terms of resources available for modeling new aircraft.

I'm thinking that either P-39, Buffalo, or PBY would be more essential additions to the PAC theater planeset than A6M3.

culero

I think that the A6M3 is essential to having a reasonably accurate plane set for mid 1942 through mid 1943. This was the clipped-wing Zero. It's performance fits in between the A6M2 and the A6M5. You can read a design analysis here.

I don't see the Buffalo as being of much use in a Pacific TOD. They served at Midway in small numbers and were used by the Brits defending Rangoon, but that's basically all the action they saw.

On the other hand, the P-39 was in heavy use in the SWPA and Alaskan waters, as well as North Africa and Italy. B-25s were in heavy use in the SWPA as well.

PBYs were common in the central Pacific.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2005, 12:03:13 PM »
Well, as to Buffalo, fair enough. Its true that its actual usage was limited. I've just always wanted it for certain event concepts, but F4F makes a reasonable substitute there.

I do realize that A6M3 in one of its two variant designs was a clipped wing version. However, isn't it true that variant (Type 32) was produced in smaller numbers than the A6M3 Type 22?

In any case, unless I'm mistaken A6M2 and A6M5 combined for something like 9,000 produced vs less than 1,000 A6M3. The performance specs I've seen for A6M3 look extremely similar to A6M5.

My point is that while you are correct in terms of explicit historic accuracy, A6M5 makes a reasonable substitute for A6M3 in historic matchups, and that there are other planetypes (such as P39) which were produced in much greater numbers that we also need.

Its an issue of priority and available development resources in my mind, not that A6M3 has no place.

culero
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey