Author Topic: Your Advice?  (Read 322 times)

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
Your Advice?
« on: June 24, 2005, 01:48:12 PM »
Ok, I'll admit it. I've been avoiding threads where I will inevitably end up dipping into the expressly theological, such as the recently locked "Gay Marriage" thread.

This is not because I don't want to participate, I do, but my honest fear is that my participation will in turn rapidly heat up those threads to the point that the O'Club gets shut down again. I really don't want to provoke responses that might go over the top as has occasionally been the case in the past. Especially given our current "double secret probation" status.

So I find myself posting on eggshells around here which is not much fun, but eh, whatareyagonnado?

Anyway, let me put it to the board and even the MPs, what should I do? Go ahead and post in the controversial threads, knowing the visceral responses that my worldview will probably produce, or give those threads that are often the most interesting to me, the widest berth? :confused:

Thanks for your input.

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Your Advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 01:57:12 PM »
since i have never seen you post anything even remotely considered out of bounds by the rules, id say go ahead.

your intelligent responses hopefully promote intelligent replies.

if they are not intelligent replies, they will probably get the proverbial axe.

there are some "bad apples" and the sooner they are exposed for what they are the quicker it can be cleaned up. hopefully that is the view of HTC... that the bad apples will be banned instead of shutting down the whole thing.

thats my thought on it.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Your Advice?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 02:02:36 PM »
i am not a "bad apple"

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Your Advice?
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 02:07:35 PM »
From what I've read in Skuzzy's posts, you've little to fear Seagoon.

IMHO, the rules allow plenty of latitude for discussion.

There's a lot of whining about the "new rules", but it hasn't affected the way I post one bit. I suspect that you'll have as much trouble as I.

Oh... and anger is a choice. ;)
sand

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Your Advice?
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 02:21:04 PM »
Seagoon, somebody said every outfit needed a Chaplain.

Sorry pal, de facto, you're him.

There's atheists in the outfit, Christians, Jews, Muslims, Agnotics whatever........ the outfit still needs a Chaplain.

I haven't seen you post anything that "heats up" a topic; rather you contribute things that make people think.

If someone gets "hot", it's that person's choice, not yours. (What Sandman said).

The place would be less without you.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Your Advice?
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 02:24:30 PM »
Yeah..... What Toad said!

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Your Advice?
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 02:26:52 PM »
Yep.  Every man or woman is responsible for themselves and their own actions (or posts), and no one elses (unless yer an MP or a Skuzzy :) ).  If someone takes offense to one of your posts (and I dont possibly see how), thats their problem, not yours.  As long as your post was a contribution to the thread in progress, and not purposely intended to be flame bait, you cant be responsible for what they say or do in response.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Your Advice?
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 02:38:43 PM »
Seagoon, continue on as you were. If anything you post would be "moderated", the rest of us are in real deep doo doo. If someone can't carry on a reasonable "conversation" with you, they are no doubt doomed here anyway.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Your Advice?
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 03:08:04 PM »
Seagoon, as the creator of the gay marriage thread, let me say that I was kind of disappointed not to see you participating, and was wondering what the hold up was.  While I'm agnostic, and my view on the issue is likely 180° from yours, I was looking forward to a reasonably presented opposing view, even if I didn't consider the view reasonable. :)  Now quit being a pansy and start posting.  Let others worry about themselves and their own actions, and you take care of your own.  It's just too bad that Drunky went on a tard rampage and got my thread locked while he was getting himself banned.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
Your Advice?
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 03:10:12 PM »
SOB is a gay and wants to marry, don't hurt him too bad.
-SW

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Your Advice?
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 03:42:42 PM »
Go to CheckSix.Net Forums O-Club.  There are three (count em 3!) threads about player's testicles on page one right now!  

eskimo

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Your Advice?
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 03:43:32 PM »
Originally posted by eskimo2
Go to CheckSix.Net Forums O-Club.  There are three (count em 3!) threads about player's testicles on page one right now!  

eskimo

Now THAT is a shining endorsement. ;)
sand

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Your Advice?
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 04:01:35 PM »
Seagoon,

Don't let the paranoia of the whine crowd put you on eggshells. the change here hasn't been that significant and the majority of the problem children (emphasis on children) are already gone. Those playing silly little games to push buttons will likely follow suit.

Make your posts like an adult and you won't have any problems.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
Your Advice?
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 04:02:41 PM »
My faith is tested every time I come here Seagoon.  Don't seek approval from this place, be yourself.  You have a lot to offer and I enjoy reading your posts.

Can't speak for anyone else, but as a past scholar myself, I read your posts.  You set an example of focus and purpose with your posts. Not everyone has to agree with you, or me for that matter.   I respect someone  because he is what he is.  This is not an easy thing, but in here that's how I see it.  You have no idea how many times I've bitten my lip and exercised good judgement before posting.  Mainly this is because I use my real name here.  No I'm not a particularly religious person now, I used to be.  Religion bashing is just plain dumb.

Have you ever watched the TV series Beyond Belief?  Be like Dr. Strange.  No matter what happens, nothing upsets Dr. Strange.  I'd like to be like that but I don't know if I can.  Kinda got off the subject a bit.  Maybe not the best advice.   Anyway it's meant as a compliment.

Salute Seagoon!

Les

:cool:

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Your Advice?
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 04:09:20 PM »
A vote of high confidence here for Seagoon.   Your posts are always articulate and intelligent, and never offensive, apart from the time you insinuated Abe Lincoln was a communist.

:D