Author Topic: SAS ready in Afghanistan  (Read 896 times)

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
SAS ready in Afghanistan
« on: September 14, 2001, 06:14:00 AM »
The SAS have been there for a number of years and will be ready to take out anyone or direct LGBs onto any specific target.

Lets find who masterminded this attack and take them out as soon as the truth is known.

Regards

Nexx
NEXX

Offline Tuomio

• Nickel Member
SAS ready in Afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2001, 09:58:00 AM »
IF they even locate him. Afghanistan is maybe the worlds most hostile evinroment to work in. Its rocky, mountain filled impassable with any kind of vehicles. Only way to move in there is the roads or by foot.

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
SAS ready in Afghanistan
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2001, 10:26:00 AM »
SAS been there for 4 years, they're just awaiting any orders

Nexx
NEXX

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
SAS ready in Afghanistan
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2001, 10:32:00 AM »
If anyone doubts the abilities of the British SAS, rent Bravo 2 - 0.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
SAS ready in Afghanistan
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2001, 11:09:00 AM »
It seems we have the lads to get the 'job' done already in country.

Good luck to them.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
SAS ready in Afghanistan
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2001, 01:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tuomio:
IF they even locate him. Afghanistan is maybe the worlds most hostile evinroment to work in. Its rocky, mountain filled impassable with any kind of vehicles. Only way to move in there is the roads or by foot.

Satellite imagery!  The US military as well as other countries with advanced military might, can kill people in the most remote areas of the world from thousands of miles away.

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
SAS ready in Afghanistan
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2001, 01:32:00 PM »
As Swoop and some others have said the SAS is no group to joke around about, they have the equipment, the skills, and the experience in terrorist situations (including capture and assassination)

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
SAS ready in Afghanistan
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2001, 02:36:00 PM »
I fear the Afghanis are pretty hard too - They've certainly kicked several superpowers arses over the years, Britain included (I think the last time they lost a fight was to Alexander the Great). They've got quite a lot of fairly modern Russian (one previous owner) and US equipment and weaponry (Stingers for one - not sure what else, but I'm sure the US govt can check their receipts for the full list).
And while the SAS are the cream of the British army, and dead good at sabotage, I fear these tactics are mostly effective against conventional armies, and not very effective against terrorists. If they were, I'm sure the IRA would have been stopped years ago.
And the old "Vast military might and superior technology will overpower the poor dumb savages, and we'll all be home by Christmas" argument looks anorexic in the light of the US, French & Chinese all having their arses kicked by the Vietnamese, and indeed, the USSR getting thrashed in Afghanistan.
The only thing you learn from history is that no one learns from history...
“The FBI has no hard evidence connecting Usama Bin Laden to 9/11.” --  Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, June 5, 2006.

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
SAS ready in Afghanistan
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2001, 04:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by -dead-:
I fear the Afghanis are pretty hard too - They've certainly kicked several superpowers arses over the years, Britain included (I think the last time they lost a fight was to Alexander the Great). They've got quite a lot of fairly modern Russian (one previous owner) and US equipment and weaponry (Stingers for one - not sure what else, but I'm sure the US govt can check their receipts for the full list).
And while the SAS are the cream of the British army, and dead good at sabotage, I fear these tactics are mostly effective against conventional armies, and not very effective against terrorists. If they were, I'm sure the IRA would have been stopped years ago.
And the old "Vast military might and superior technology will overpower the poor dumb savages, and we'll all be home by Christmas" argument looks anorexic in the light of the US, French & Chinese all having their arses kicked by the Vietnamese, and indeed, the USSR getting thrashed in Afghanistan.
The only thing you learn from history is that no one learns from history...

Er, Dead, I don't think you realise who the SAS are... they are the among the best, if not the very best at counter-terrorism.  They have trained many foreign units from USA, Germany, Russia and France etc.

Their successes include saving hostiges from Embassies, hijacked planes, saving soldiers deep within enemy territory, jungle warfare, desert warfare, artic warfare, and obviously urban warfare.  They are also responsible for leading attacks in the Gulf War - guiding some of those important LGBs on target.

As for the IRA, the surveilance unit within the SAS are the ones that track all terrorists including those in Ireland and those around the world.  They could have taken many terrorists out but have not always been given permission to do so.  Even when they did get permission to take out IRA terrorists in British Gibraltar (IRA were planning on bombing barracks there) they were prosecuted via the crazy European Courts.  I hope these courts realise that terrorism must be stopped!

They are not just the cream of the British Army, but the cream of all Special Forces.

Read up at:-

http://www.specwarnet.com/europe/sas.htm
 http://home-4.12move.nl/~sh360505/

Regards

Nexx
NEXX

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
SAS ready in Afghanistan
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2001, 05:01:00 PM »
Make no mistake, the SAS are the best in the world at what they do. End of story.

But they are the servants of a democracy and have in the past been limited as to what they could, as Nexx points out.

Frankly, I was dismayed by Europe's stance on the SAS action in Gibraltar. Those IRA members who were killed deserved everything they got; I'm proud of our Forces role in that confrontation.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
SAS ready in Afghanistan
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2001, 08:44:00 PM »
Ummm yes I'm aware what the SAS are and what they do. It might as well be on the GCSE curriculum  ;)

However my point was that despite their greatness, terrorism was a fairly regular part of UK life for all of the 26 years I lived there. They might well be the best counter-terrorist force in the world (I reckon they are, but then I'm just another biased Brit), but the terrorists still managed to carry on their campaigns of terror in the UK.

So what's going on? Perhaps the terrorists haven't read up on the SAS, and don't know it's impossible for them to do this? Or are the politicians holding them back?

I reckon the terrorists have almost certainly read up on the SAS.
I don't think the politicians were holding back their use in Northern Ireland, as politicians are a pretty unprinicipled lot, and it would have been a major boon to any government to end such a long-running campaign of terror. And in a country as secretive as the UK, where it is within the government's legal rights to seize all the copies of a newspaper and jail the journalist and possibly the owners for decades just for revealing what the Prime Minister had for lunch [well, that is unless they drastically revised the Official Secrets Act to be more lenient in the last couple of years], covering up the odd bit of hush hush killing should be a piece of cake.

So I reckon the thing that dictates the SAS's or any counter terrorist group's effectiveness at dealing with terrorists before they strike is intel. Without any intel, the SAS can only be used when the terrorists go public by taking hostages or what have you.
And if intel was so easy to come by, the "War on (some) Drugs" would have been won years ago. As it is, illegal drugs are cheaper and more plentiful today than when the "War on (some) Drugs" started.
MI5 (for internal)& MI6 would provide a lot of the intel, I'm guessing [as the SAS is a kind of small, and it's men probably too qualified in combat stuff to waste them on a big intel gathering centre] and Kim Philby et al serve as a great testament as to how on the ball they are. Besides the MI stands for Military Intelligence - 'nuff said  ;) .

In short, the SAS are great at dealing with the symptoms, but they aren't a terrorist panacea - which is understandable, because they weren't meant to be. They are a military unit, and primarily a commando force
expert in LRRP, sabotage, guerilla warfare and the seemingly impossible  ;). Counter-terrorism is an important role, but on the whole their role is reactive (most likely due to the lack intel).
And rightly so, IMO the SAS should be reactive - state-run hit squads are not a good idea. Which is why the Euro court thing is, I'm afraid, a good thing - because even (or perhaps especially) when it's a government, killing people for being terrorists or revolutionaries without a trial or some form of accountability [even if they're right] is something that should not be encouraged, because if you go down that path, you wind up in a military dictatorship, and terrorists are the least of your worries then.

What I was really trying to point out was that the Afghanis are pretty good at kicking arse too, and any country which attacks them should be prepared to have a long drawn out war and one they will likely lose if they invade.

So the SAS are indeed best, but we should still think long and hard before doing anything military in Afghanistan.
To quote that Churchill bloke "Jaw, Jaw, Jaw..."
That said, if it spirals down into fisticuffs, I'd trust the SAS to do it right a lot more than any air strike.
“The FBI has no hard evidence connecting Usama Bin Laden to 9/11.” --  Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, June 5, 2006.

Offline Tuomio

• Nickel Member
SAS ready in Afghanistan
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2001, 09:10:00 PM »
There just was a good coverage about this issue in ABCnews special report.

The problem is indeed the intel. "You need to know, where the Bin Laden is today, not only that, you need to know where he is going to be in next weeks Wednesday." - John Miller.
The problem is ofcourse, that Bin laden is on the move now and changes position in every 24 or 48 hours. Theres no plan where theyre going to be tomorrow, they just go with the wind.
So where is the SAS going to hit when the enemy future location is unknown? The sophistication, cellular phones, radios, everything except weaponry is missing. You cant tap them or listen their talks.

Like -dead- said, you would easily end up waging war against Afghanistan. Thats Vietnam without trees. If you dont believe, ask Russians, they have couple of stories and videos to show you. I saw one of those and it was horrifying to watch.
I highly doubt it would be worth going in war against Afghanistan.

Offline Defiance

• Nickel Member
SAS ready in Afghanistan
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2001, 10:39:00 PM »
For Dead,

During the late 70's and early 80's guess who had a so called "shoot to kill" policy against certain terrorists,This was when
under survailance and about to resort to terrorism
Ohh yeah best add this ....

Once the press sniffed around and all hell bust lose it was kinda stopped

Some great UK documentaries and personal interviews with SAS serving/retired on the subject

Give you an example ......

2 man SAS team had terrorists under survailance for 3 days, During this time they could only communicate by hand and never moved more than a few feet, They were almost found out when a dog used to check the local around a terrorist meeting went for a dump and started sniffing around
They never carried out their fullest mission and retreated back via night cover to be debriefed

That's one story from a programme i always remember as the one giving it explained that he thought his time was up

It's ironic that at the time the press were reporting terrible terrorists actions and also trying to make stories of terrorists deaths by so called "shoot to kill" policies

Def