Author Topic: To whoever asked me and didn't believe the P-38J is faster than the P-38L...  (Read 798 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
P-38J
crew: 1
wingspan: 52' 0"
length: 37' 10"
height 12' 10"
wing area: 328 sq ft
powerplant: 2 x Allison V-1710-89/91 Vee-12 liquid-cooled engines
max speed: 420 mph at 26,500 ft
weight, empty: 12,780 lbs
weight, loaded: 17,500 lbs
weight, max: 21,600 lbs
service ceiling: 44,000 ft
armament: One 20mm cannon /w 150 r. four 0.50 cal mgs /w 500 rpg
# built: 2970

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P-38L/M*
crew: 1
wingspan: 52' 0"
length: 37' 10"
height 12' 10"
wing area: 328 sq ft
powerplant: 2 x Allison V-1710-111/113 Vee-12 liquid-cooled engines
max speed: 414 mph at 25,000 ft
weight, empty: 14,100 lbs
weight, max: 22,000 lbs
service ceiling: 44,000 ft
armament: One 20mm cannon /w 150 r. four 0.50 cal mgs /w 500 rpg
# built: 3923

Told you so.  And as you can see, it's the lighter weight of the J that gives it the marginal speed over the L, despite the newer and better Allisons the L had.  Now does this translate to an advantage for the J?  I guess in a level chase, the J would eventually catch up if both planes stay on a level plane.  Other than that, I can see no real advantage of 6mph.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Wolf14

• Silver Member
would the 1500ft difference in alt make a 6mph difference in speed as well?

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
In a lvl chase they would both be on the same lvl... the max speed of the J is at higher altitude though.

Also i heard the J had less drag due to the diffrent engine cowlings, is that true?

If so then i would guess most of the speed advantage comes from the reduced drag?

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Which one has the highest deck speed?
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
p38 j    200ft  no wep   332mph   in ah2.......................... .p38l   200ft   no wep 333mph  ah2.

Both had 50% fuel
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 07:43:54 AM by rod367th »

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
Weight has nothing to do with maximum speed. If you dont believe me, take any plane up with 100% fuel and then 25% fuel.

Balsy

Offline Keiler

• Copper Member
That would be in Aces High 2?... which surprises me.
More weight means more drag due to higher AOA thus lower speed.

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
Im no aeronautical engineer but.. .in  level flight/maximum speed  isnt the AOA the same?

If I take a 727 up to 20K empty, will it fly faster at level flight than a full one?

Offline jon

• Nickel Member
      • http://http://www.wildaces.us
i was just at the bong memorial in superior wisconsin(about 15 miles frome his home town of Poplar WI.)and the info there said that the 38L had a top speed of 414 and the 38J i cant remember the exact number but its top speed was around 385 [/IMG] [/IMG]

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
Keep in mind AOA / coefficient of lift is not only dependent on weight but also changes with the square of velocity.  Increasing velocity means reduced AOA.  

For max level speeds the change in AOA and resulting induced drag due to a change in weight are very small.  The impact on max level speeds would be imperceptible unless you're comparing speeds stabilized over a long duration.

For example a Beech Bonanza E33A with a max level speed of about 215 mph, the impact due to weight is about 1 mph per 100 lbs of weight.

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
My only concern is, which one can I live the longest in?

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Thanks Rod, could have done the test my self but was too lazy, appriciate it :)

Slimm, as for your only concern... the J I'd say.

Deck speed is the most important speed for any plane in AH. The J acording to Rod367th's test is only 1 mph slower at the deck compared to the L and it turns quite a bit better then the L.

The J is most likely the one you can live longest in. BUT it performs worse in high speeds and it doesn't have dive flaps.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
Originally posted by Wilbus
...and it doesn't have dive flaps.

Heh, that's ok. I gave up long ago trying to get higher than everyone else. There was always someone higher than me. So I play below 4K agl, usually.

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
25k  no wep  p38J    400mph        25k p38L   no wep 401 mph

what i found out is j climbs faster and can pull out vertical dive from 25 to 4k  hit x  and st8 and true flying  L model crashed same test.

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
i was just at the bong memorial in superior wisconsin(about 15 miles frome his home town of Poplar WI.)and the info there said that the 38L had a top speed of 414 and the 38J i cant remember the exact number but its top speed was around 385 [IMG]

alot of ppl seem to forget that each plane made in a series is different, depending on the mechanic, and how well he tuned it, how well each part was machined, rivet job, time of year, tempurature, ectra.

the japanese planes had a wide area of performance because they were thrown together so fast and ran on such bad fuel.

i bet some day one of the ubber real sims will have a randomizer that will give each model of plane a unique tuning range.