Author Topic: Anyone see a trend here?  (Read 1439 times)

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Anyone see a trend here?
« on: June 14, 2001, 07:40:00 AM »
B17II, has a "community" that follows the game's development cycle for over a year hyping it up and believing every word that WayWard said.....

At best, it's a fun game if you like to manage your crew and shoot the 3 possible different fighters that can possibly attack you (I still have yet to see a Me262 in the campaign).

WW2Ol, the "community" hypes this one up too with the help of CRS. Well, we'll see if they get the FPS issue fixed and see if that flight model gets fixed. Otherwise, IMO, it's just a wasted game without a decent FM.

IL2, the "community" well... you can see what they are like on BlueByte's msg boards.
Getting it all good and hyped up.. there's a few from AH that will be on the beta team, maybe they can give us an objective opinion when/if they ever get the beta.
-SW

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Anyone see a trend here?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2001, 07:45:00 AM »
TAS, Confirmed Kill, Desert Fighters... the list goes on.

All games that had a loyal following that swore things were going to be different with these new games.

The funny thing is, the same people keep doing it over and over and over again... all the time insisting that this time it will be different.

I do believe that WWIIOnline has more potential than any I have listed... but I also believe that if you are going to have a Massive Multiplayer Game you'd better be able to have massive ammounts of people on-line.

AKDejaVu

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Anyone see a trend here?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2001, 07:51:00 AM »
There's no denying that WW2Ol couldn't be amazingly revolutionary and a great game to boot......

Unfortunately this thing was prematurly born when it was only 3 months into the pregnancy.

I'll let the cheerleaders and loyalists have fun with WW2Ol until it works the way it's supposed to, then I'll consider buying it... of course by that point it'll be about 300MB worth of patches.   :eek:
-SW

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
Anyone see a trend here?
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2001, 08:19:00 AM »
The trend I see is that these people who follow and pledging allegiance to these "in development" games become more radical and rabid with each new project.

The B17-II groupies were off thier rockers, the WW2O camp followers are well past that point now (read the StratFirst boards) and the IL2 legion are plain mentally unstable and rabid - read ANY of the boards but especially the pay to post board by one of the sickest of the lot.

Westy

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
Anyone see a trend here?
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2001, 08:25:00 AM »
SWulfe same goes for the negative posters, dont you think?  ;)

AKdejavu is right, the difference between ww2o and say B17 II,
or IL2 is its not only a flightsimm, it has a broad spectrum
of different players, Tanker, driver, Infantry ect.
WWIIOnline has more potential, the future will show us what
will happen.

Regards
Gh0stFT
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Anyone see a trend here?
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2001, 08:30:00 AM »
especially the pay to post board by one of the sickest of the lot.

Whadda hell? Are you serious??????

I'd HATE to read one of those boards..

I think these guys have seriously flipped out, kind of like the newest boy band with it's fanatical following of teenaged girls... they'll rip your damned eyeballs out of your sockets if you tell them that the boy bands all suck.
-SW

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Anyone see a trend here?
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2001, 08:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by Gh0stFT:
SWulfe same goes for the negative posters, dont you think?    ;)

What are you talking about? Look, if you go to the SoftwareFirst forums you can read exactly what I am explaining...

Someone states his dislike for the game and the distaste he has of CRS because they literally screwed him (false advertising) with a half baked game. Saw this with B17II as well...

Well he gets flamed to hell because of this, by the fanatical (read: idiots) following that proclaims as if it were the holy bible that this is the "ultimate WW2 simulation/game"...

Don't know why people get all defensive of half baked products, must be because they feel they got shafted in the back of the minds and they are desperately trying to make themselves feel better....    :D

I'm sorry, but I will never play a game that has potential... only if it's potential is atleast 75% complete and working at a potentially acceptable level of potentiality.

-SW

[ 06-14-2001: Message edited by: SWulfe ]

Offline Wingnut_0

• Copper Member
      • http://www.Luftjagerkorps.com
Anyone see a trend here?
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2001, 08:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by SWulfe:
[QB]

Well he gets flamed to hell because of this, by the fanatical (read: idiots) following that proclaims as if it were the holy bible

Sounds like this board.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Anyone see a trend here?
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2001, 09:47:00 AM »
It was released to soon, that's a  given, and there is the framerate issue.  But you know one thing I haven't heard anybody really talk about is the fact that they have 2-7 servers, depending upon the time of day, that each have 700 to 1000 players inside playing.  What other online war sim offers that?  They will fix the bugs and frame rate issue, I have a good idea what is causing the frame rate hit, but I'm not sure if my NDA would allow me to say what I think it is, so I won't.

I know one thing, I'm playing the game and enjoying the hell out of it.  I manage 15-45 fps and it seems for me at least that the longer I stay in the game and the more I respawn the better/faster it gets, as long as I don't switch vehicles.  That requires a reboot to reclaim resourses.  I'm going to get 256 more ram this weekend, only 80 bucks, that will bring my total up to 512.  The 2nd time I've upped my ram for ww2 online  :)  

Udie

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Anyone see a trend here?
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2001, 10:04:00 AM »
I haven't heard anybody really talk about is the fact that they have 2-7 servers, depending upon the time of day, that each have 700 to 1000 players inside playing.

That may be.. but I haven't been able to connect to any of them yet... and I bought the game the day it was released.

It has some serious problems.  It was released very early.  And... its free to play right now.

Quote numbers once a credit card is required.

AKDejaVu

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Anyone see a trend here?
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2001, 10:15:00 AM »
Udie, that's fine n dandy that they've got a lot of players on some odd number of servers...

But what good is that without a decent front end?

That'd be like saying "Dude, my house has a huge living room that would kick bellybutton for parties..... oh, but the walls and cieling aren't done yet, and there is no bar"

I just think the fanatical following these games, in pre-development, development or recently released with half the code consisting of vapor is amazing.

I mean, really... when I buy a game I expect it to work, I don't expect to spend several hours reconfiguring my computer, buying MORE RAM (dude.. 392MB RAM, honestly... that game must have some of the most inefficient coding in the world) and then spending several more hours trying to trick the program into believing something that it previously would of crashed trying to access.

And you are excited about this game, WHY?

-SW

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
Anyone see a trend here?
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2001, 12:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by SWulfe:

What are you talking about? Look, if you go to the SoftwareFirst forums you can read exactly what I am explaining...

Swulfe sorry that you dont understand it, i meant
its absolute the same, if someone write a positive
thing on the board, he gets flamed.
So for me, it is the same.
Like Udie said, this game works for me too,
i have a great time on ww2o, so i have to be flamed ? c'mon  ;)

Regards
Gh0stFT
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Anyone see a trend here?
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2001, 01:04:00 PM »
It needs loads of cpu-power, ram and swap-file but it also gives a lot.
I haven't ever felt like "Being there" more like when I was sitting in 109, flying over French country-side following roads and rivers and searching targets to strafe  :D

Its a great game and I hope CRS can fix its bugs soon and later add more stuff in it.

Bottom line: I'm keeping it  :)

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Anyone see a trend here?
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2001, 01:08:00 PM »
Do they have plans on fixing their flight model?
-SW

Offline Yoda

• Zinc Member
Anyone see a trend here?
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2001, 02:15:00 PM »

rofl!  :D
Jedi Master