Author Topic: Tips please  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« on: July 16, 2005, 04:35:48 PM »
Ok for those that have responded to me over the previous years in my threads, if you havnt guessed right now I have very bad luck when it comes to cars.

Nash says it's rooted in Karma who knows

Ok here's what I did,

I'm doing a brake job on my Jeep and I'm trying to get the tires off.  I have the jeep on the ground and I'm breaking the lugs.  The last one I get to is over torqued and as I'm trying to break it actually breaks.....the "jacket" of the lug cracked and came right off.  

Now I'm worried.  Underneith it is the actual lugg and it seems like it is the same size.  DO I dare continue just trying to get the dam thing to break torque or is their something else I can try.

Would WD40 help it out or make it worse.

I'm taking a break for now (no pun intended) to re-hydrate myself....any tips or advice is throughly appreciated.

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Tips please
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 04:50:45 PM »
It has a chrome lug cover?  Is that what you are talking about?  The "lug" is the bolt, the "lug-nut" is the part you break loose.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 05:05:27 PM »
Originally posted by Lizking
It has a chrome lug cover?  Is that what you are talking about?  The "lug" is the bolt, the "lug-nut" is the part you break loose.

Yes excuse me.

the "lug-nut" has a jacket.  I wouldnt call it a crome cover because there isn't much crome about it.  The jacket itself ripped off the "lug-nut".

A 3/4 socket fits quite well on the jacketless nut but I've allready broke 1 3/8" drive ratchet and my cheap 1/2" drive ratchet as well.

I'm waiting for my neighbor to get home to borrow his 1/2" ratchet.  My impact wrench wont brake it and it's the only thing that I have left that has a half inch drive on it.  

This sucks, held up by a stupid lug-nut before I even begin.  I went ahead and did the other side now I need to break this change the pads and bleed them both.  

I'll do the dam shoes tomorrow  :mad:

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Tips please
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 05:06:09 PM »
covers eyes ...
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Tips please
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 05:15:55 PM »
Gunny ya mean like THIS?

If so, drag out a metric socket set to use on the odd-sized solid nut.

Those OEM two-piece lug nuts get damaged when people use pneumatic wrenches on them and hammer on 'em too long, the result is what happened to you.

Go get a set of solid chrome nuts at the auto supply, they ain't real expensive.

culero
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 05:29:35 PM »
Originally posted by culero
Gunny ya mean like THIS?

If so, drag out a metric socket set to use on the odd-sized solid nut.

Those OEM two-piece lug nuts get damaged when people use pneumatic wrenches on them and hammer on 'em too long, the result is what happened to you.

Go get a set of solid chrome nuts at the auto supply, they ain't real expensive.

culero

That's exactly it.  Now instead of a the nice looking cover picture one that's torn in half.

ps,,,thanks thats exactly what I needed to hear.

I figured the 3/4" was too big for it and actually rounded the corners off a little.  Not to bad though.  I stepped down to a (i'm so tired I can't remember what's after 3/4" ) I think an 11/16".

I'll try a 15mm like the article says.  The nut is pretty much screwed up, I might have to take it off with the air chisle....we'll see.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 05:32:06 PM »
See... it's not Karma. It's Khrysler. ;)
sand

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2005, 05:38:32 PM »
1/2" Breaker BAR and a 15mm 1/2" drive socket. Grunt a little. ;)

No biggie.. what yer up against is routine.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2005, 05:43:52 PM »
take it to the garage like i do..

maybe not very masculine, but it works and saves me time and hassle

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Tips please
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2005, 05:44:04 PM »
forgot the 2 1/2 feet of pipe to add to it :D
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2005, 05:49:26 PM »
..added to the BREAKER BAR.. it'll blow most cheezy 1/2" rachets all ta hell.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2005, 05:51:21 PM »
Originally posted by Roscoroo
forgot the 2 1/2 feet of pipe to add to it :D

I've been looking for that.  I had some smaller pipe but it doesnt fit around the handle of my neighbors 1/2" ratchet.  That's how I broke my 3/8" ratchet.  

I'm at wit's end here.  A 15mm socket doesnt actually fit.  The only thing I have that fits well is a 11/16" but the nut itself is so screwed that I think a breaker bar (wich I dont have in 1/2") would just serve to round it off more.

Grrrrrrrr

I was lookin in my box and I dont have an chisels to fit my air hammer.

Good thing there's plenty of beer in the fridge cause there's no way to get more  :D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 06:25:51 PM by Gunslinger »

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Tips please
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2005, 05:55:06 PM »
Smoke-Wrench.

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
Tips please
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2005, 06:11:48 PM »
I would strongly recommend putting a bit of grease on each stud when you spin them back on.  They will never stick that way.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Tips please
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2005, 06:26:44 PM »
ok looks like the nuts are going to have to be chisled off.  This will probably mess up the lugs too huh?