Author Topic: Proper way of doing things  (Read 1307 times)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Proper way of doing things
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2001, 11:40:00 AM »
We make no excuses other than to say we don't want to release a product that is not ready, or one that does not meet community expectations as to our publicly stated design goals. We wish to enter an Open Beta with a stable, uniquely entertaining and realistic flight simulation
environment, that exhibits excellent Mac/PC performance being highly playable across the widest range of CPU configurations.

I read into this?  Like I said.. the timing makes the wording more than just coincidence.

The company may or may not meet expectations, but singing their praises simply because they promise not to screw the pooch as badly as someone else just did is somewhat misguided.  Don't you think?  What were they supposed to say... "We'll try to release a stable product... but sometimes things are out of our control"?

AKDejaVu

Offline Checksix

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2001, 12:16:00 PM »
well i do see ur point and maybe your right but i just took it opposite as bein honest with people with no other motive.

vicious... did you guys say this cause of thw wwiiol mess?

dejavu.... S!  maybe the difference between you and me is how we look at the world up front but theres no point in fightin over it anymore.  :D

i hope all of these games are a success.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2001, 12:28:00 PM »
dejavu.... S! maybe the difference between you and me is how we look at the world up front but theres no point in fightin over it anymore.

It has nothing to do with my view of the world.  It has everything to do with my experience and understanding of the gaming industry <especially simming industry>.

i hope all of these games are a success.

So do I. But in the interum.. I hope that at least one of them is a success.

AKDejaVu

Offline Vicious

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2001, 05:28:00 PM »
Did they say those things because of WWIIOL?
No, I doubt it.  

The original timeline has slipped a little and we’re telling the world what’s happening here because we know you want to know about it.  After all the politicking of other companies it can be hard to believe someone’s just being honest.  I can understand that.   Besides, there probably isn’t any combination of words we could use that wouldn’t draw scrutiny from someone, somewhere.  

The game flies great, I’ve had some of the best fights in my life there.  With respect to the flight model it’s ready, and that’s what the new testers will soon discover.  There are just some awesome features that should be in there before going open-beta, so you can all see the new paradigm Targetware represents.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2001, 07:00:00 PM »
I gotta say the people putting Target Korea together are about the best group of people I have ever met. It was pure pleasure working with that group.

Expect the unexpected!

NUTTZ

Originally posted by Checksix:
saw this one at friends house whos beta testing both mac and pc version so no NDA here. hehehe  jigster, you must rate .... wish they had sent me that nda but I never got one.   :(  can i have yours   :D

it wasnt bout fancy graphics and needing a 1 ghz machine just to get 15fps.   fps was steady and very high (over 30) all the time.  graphics i saw were ok since i'm more inetersted in game play then eye candy anyway.

needs more basic grahics work like damage hit markings and ground obejects.  saw an interview that nuttz and ogre worked on terrain stuff.

waa really smooth with great network code but expected that since sickboy (RW) wrote it.  didnt see up close warps and ping rates were sub 100 most of the time.

big thing i noticed was how accurate fm and ammo modeling was and how terrfic f-51 model felt to fly using mixture controls and everything.  kept burnin up my engine till i learned to fly and handle throttle properly during fights. hehehehe.   they even modelled barrel heatng so if you hold down trigger to long u see the tacer pattern turning into a larger shotgun spreadin from the heat.  i think the realism bunch are gonna love this sucker.   :D

i have to say it was really a lot of fun even in this early state and i had some great sweating dog fights.  even if it was a closed beta it was rock solid with no crashes.

saw a neat poll on their home page http://www.targetware.net/  .  anyone see results anywhere?

never see any other developer interested in opinions like this frm customers?  u know these guys work for free!!!!

santa, i agree and imo they're doin it right and i when i read their boards i don;t get a feeling that they're lying to anyone because of wwiiol botch-up. they've (vadr) been saying the same thing all along even before then.  u sure dont see the ignorant crap  u see here a lot of the time.   :D

i think since the're goin to have a huge closed beta (1200 people i think they said?) before public open beta, so i bet theres a lot of good players from here and wb that help them get it right!  i think they're refreshing i hope they make it.

but i notice the regular inhouse control freaks here always look for the neg side to everything.  sure would be nice to hear them say somethin positive bout anyone or anything outside of this place.   :D