Author Topic: My 9th kill and other pics.  (Read 2524 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
My 9th kill and other pics.
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2001, 10:47:00 AM »
FWIW, a glance inside at an airspeed indicator in a RL aircraft is far easier and faster than doing the same thing in either WW2OL or AH.

AH is closer to RL in this respect but it still isn't as easy.

But there are those who would rather hang onto the notion that higher difficulty = higher realism. Pyro put this all pretty eloquently in a post that was swallowed up in a BBS burp. Wish that was still around, it was a well done statement.

Anyway, usually I find that these "harder= real-er" guys have never flown anything other than a paper kite on 250 yds of string.   :D

[ 06-20-2001: Message edited by: Toad ]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline AKHog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2001, 10:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jammer:
while IRL going from close distance focusing to 'infinity' focusing take up to a full second...

no it doesnt.

-AKHog
The journey is the destination.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2001, 10:53:00 AM »
fscott

Not debating the FM's just stating the fact that in AH I have to check the gauges & trim while in WW2 I do not. Both games have their place in my virtual library, being a WW2 German aircraft nut, AH is my 1st choice   :)

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2001, 10:54:00 AM »
HEY!!!

.... wrong topic

[ 06-20-2001: Message edited by: Westy MOL ]

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2001, 03:41:00 PM »
fscott, do you mean easy mode as in hitting the button for auto takeoff in your setup?  Otherwise, you have to give some rudder input to get up safely in AH.  Granted it's not as much as WWII, but it's still there.  

quick disclaimer, the following is completely my opinion, based on what I perceive in the sims while I'm flying.

Air combat in WWII is fun, though a bit "arcadish", IMO.  It's fun because a 1 on 1 can last a LOOOOOONG time in WWII, heck even multi plane furballs last awhile.  Right now, it's just two different styles of fun between the two games.  I enjoy playing both, and dogfighting in both.  I like the immersion from WWII.  If I'm in a Spit, I know I'm going to be shooting at 109s and Stukas.  In AH, I have no clue what I might run up against.  AH to me is "harder" because there's more to keep track of.  WWII is much harder with gunnery (at least it is for me) however.  In WWII my problem is hitting the planes with enough .303 lead to knock them down.  In AH, my problem is dealing with the player in that other plane, judging his E-state, my E-state, knowing how to react to his actions, knowing when to make him react to may actions.  AH requires a higher level of SA than WWII (where it seems like you only need to know if someone is on your 6.)  So to me, they are both fun in different ways.  WWII gives me a immersive roleplaying environment; AH gives me a mentally challenging environment.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2001, 04:52:00 PM »
I don't get it either.

In AH, when I'm tracking a con I can't read my guages, because I aint looking at them.

I may see them through peripheral vision, but I have to look down to read them.

When I look down at them, I lose focus on the con I was tracking.

I may see it through peripheral vision, but I have to look back up at it to get a good read on what it's doing.

Just like in RL, no?

So why do I need an extra key stroke to look down at the guages when when by merely just looking down at them with yer eyes has the exact same effect?

It's BS added unneccessary extra keystroke fake realism.

OR (and this is what I honestly believe)...

The RATS merely couldn't code a good enough cockpit that would allow you to clearly read the guages while having the rest of the cockpit make sense. They needed an extra look down view to accomplish it. There's no other reason for it.

Offline DRILL

• Copper Member
      • http://www.457thbgh.com
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2001, 08:55:00 PM »
nice fps 50+ wish i had em     ;)  i got my 22nd
 kill today     :D   5 ju87s and 18 109s i do find that against a good pilot it is very intese and last 20 min or more very enjoyable
iv put a few pics up to day on our web page at >>>>http://457thbgh.com/photo.htm

for some reasion i couldnt hyperlink it sorry youl have to copy n past     :(  ill work on it tho

[ 06-20-2001: Message edited by: DRILL ]

[ 06-20-2001: Message edited by: DRILL ]
Drill /384th FA/CH 364th

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2001, 09:22:00 PM »
109's do stall  :D

I have my game setting for "highest preformance" then bumped the res. to 1024/768 , Enalbe mipmapping check box "on" ,
Filters , Mip check box set to "linear"

also took Creamo's advice "somewhat" and used a differant program to change the pic to jpg  :cool: , Microsoft's Picture it .

My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2001, 05:10:00 AM »
AH cockpit might be functional but they are unhistorical, unrealistic and generic.

In RL u can't read the gauges and look out of the windscreen at the same time. In AH you can. Not to speak about the generic, imperial gauges. Not the 109 cockpit I want!! Sure it works but it's not realistic! And who looks at the gauges anyway??? Maybe IFR pilots do but in a aircombat u don't have time for that. IMHO Janes WW2 Fighters had the best (looking, most realistic...) cockpits of all WW2 sims (without the pop up windows and HUD arrows etc.). WW2O cockpits are not perfect but fit my needs better. From the normal POV the gauges give me enough clues to judge my speed, alt etc. (and I can still look out of the window for that matter). If I need more information I just simply press a key which is a matter of milliseconds as well...   :)

All other than that u might prefer HUDs and stuff like that - not me!!

[ 06-21-2001: Message edited by: Kirin ]
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2001, 05:22:00 AM »
Ha - some more pics...

FScott - HOW you get THAT good FPS? What kind of system you have???

Airspro - wooo... more of you Air-guys over there??? Flying allied? Hehe, alright - I'll meet ya up in the skies, spit-boy.   ;)

[ 06-21-2001: Message edited by: Kirin ]
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2001, 05:28:00 AM »
In RL u can't read the gauges and look out of the windscreen at the same time. In AH you can

:rolleyes:

Ok - here's a simple test, it will take you no more than 3 minutes, and then you'll see how incorrect that statement is.

Simply look *anywhere* out of yer windscreen. Can you read any of your guages? No.

Now get a con on yer 12 oclock. Look at yer guages. Can you read the icon? Range? No.

It can't be done.

What do you have to do? You have to change where you look. To read the guages you have to look *at* the guages. To read the con, you have to look *at* the con. You cannot GET any more realistic than that.

And notice one other thing when you do this. The degrees in which your eyes travel from looking out the windscreen to down at your guages are probably going to be pretty darn close to how much they would have to travel in RL.

Yet people wanna argue for the realism of a keystroke to accomplish this?

I don't think so...

Btw, as long as we're showing off ugly screenshots, here's my contribution (they do seem to have a lot in common):     :)

[ 06-21-2001: Message edited by: Nash ]

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2001, 07:00:00 AM »
Nash, in RL a glance is waaaay overmodeled.  :D

I hear next generation humans will actually have a small pressure point on the temple near the eyes that will shift your eye focal length almost like a keypress works.

Finally, we'll have RL eyes that are as realistic as a PC simulation.  :D

But seriously folks.... the idea that the WW2OL gauges in the default res (800) straight ahead cockpit view are "more realistic"  :rolleyes: is so bogus it deserves nothing more than this type of comment.

Particularly on the smaller monitors the WW2OL gauges are excruciatingly difficult to read. This is simply NOT the case for the primary instruments in a Warbird.

So.. that's all I have to say about that.  ;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2001, 08:43:00 AM »
I no longer play RB3D Nash, but when I did there were several hundreds of end-user modifications floating about that made the campaign awesome and more detailed plane models (an amazing Fokker Dr1 3D model and skin made by vonHelton) and some amazing terrain bitmaps. I can point you to some websites, if you still play RB3D and are interested in making it better, if you like.

Seriously though, with the mods/enhancements that are floating about for RB3D... it looks 400x better than WW2Ol!   ;)
-SW

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2001, 08:43:00 AM »
In RL u can't read the gauges and look out of the windscreen at the same time. In AH you can.

Kirin you WWIIOL cheerleader, you're absolutely wrong. In real life, you have a very small focus point and a helluva lot of peripheral vision. I cannot both see an enemy plane sharply AND see my speed indicator; I can se one of um sharply at one time, whereas the other is in my "peripheral" or non sharp field of view.

Aces High is closer to reality, because of the artificially extra difficulty added to WWIIOL which demands two clicks on the keyboard to check yer instruments and get back.

In AH: take focus away from bandit, catch instrument in perihperal view, focus on gauge. catch enemy plane in peripheral view, then focus on enemy plane.

In WWIIOL: Hit 0, then find instrument in peripheral view, then focus. Hit 0 again, repeat.

It's just bogus. Do this as an experiment: real the "aces hugh bb>>the o'club>> etc message on the top right of the screen. At the same time, try to make out "instant UBB code". Sorry my squaddie, but yer dead wrong here  :).

Not to speak about the generic, imperial gauges. Not the 109 cockpit I want!!

Not arguing with this!  :)

And who looks at the gauges anyway??? Maybe IFR pilots do but in a aircombat u don't have time for that.

Ehm, even in a dogfight, I monitor my speed. It's quite doable if you're e fighting.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2001, 09:00:00 AM »
Whats with the hoopty sphere containing a 109 surrounded by a compass tape on the aircraft panels?

Oh, and I was goofin on Fscott airpro, as those screens look like toejam no matter what format they are posted.