Author Topic: Raised by wolves!  (Read 509 times)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Raised by wolves!
« on: June 20, 2001, 01:43:00 AM »
Couldn't get a working url to post, so here's the story:

Chilean authorities say boy lived with dogs for two years

(photo elecronically obscurred to protect his identity)

SANTIAGO, Chile (Reuters) -- An abandoned 10-year-old boy has been found living in a cave and scavenging for food with a pack of dogs, child-care workers said on Tuesday.

Authorities took the boy, named Axel, into care last weekend after he spent two years roaming a southern town with the dog pack.

The case has shocked Chile, a conservative South American nation that prides itself on strong family ties.

Axel began running with 15 strays in the port town of Talcahuano after escaping from a children's home. On cold nights, they would share a cave on the outskirts of town, workers of Chile's National Child-care Service said.

In television footage, Axel was aggressive, swore at care workers and spoke in short, surly phrases. Asked whether he had drunk dog's milk as reported by police, he said, "Yes." He stuck his tongue out and screwed up his face up in disgust.

"You still drank it even though you didn't like it?" a journalist asked the boy, now living in a children's center in the city of Concepcion.

"Yes, because I was thirsty. It was my breakfast," Axel replied.

Wearing a smart red, white and gray top, he scribbled on pieces of paper and cut out pictures with scissors. One of his drawings was of eight dogs of different colors and sizes.

The most prominent figure was a large blue dog that resembled a poodle. Underneath, was written the name "Lyla." A care worker said this was the dog that suckled Axel.

Axel, who appeared healthy but had two front teeth missing, at times swore at the woman care worker and threatened to throw scissors across the room. But he also showed touches of tenderness.

He cut out a picture from a sheet of paper and tried to pin it to the lapel of a television journalist.

Axel has had a tough life, child-care workers said.

"He was abandoned at the age of five by his parents, who were very abusive. He was effectively thrown onto the streets," Delia Delgatto of the child-care service told Reuters.

He was taken into a care center but escaped two years ago and teamed up with street dogs in Talcahuano.

The boy and the pack foraged for food together, police said. "He would eat out of garbage cans and find leftovers," Delgatto said.

City workers reported his case to the police who tried to seize him last Saturday. But Axel threw himself into the wintry cold waters of the southern Pacific Ocean to try to escape.

"A police officer dived into the water and saved him," a police spokesman said.

Care workers said Axel would need long periods of counseling and would stay in care for the foreseeable future. Delgatto said it was unlikely he would be reunited with his parents.

[ 06-20-2001: Message edited by: Nash ]

Offline storm

• Zinc Member
Raised by wolves!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2001, 03:38:00 AM »
awesome story!!

this reminds me of the romulus and remus myth..the 2 brother that founded Rome ..the story tells that they were abandoned  on a river and then milk fed by a wolf

after this event the myth could be actually a true story

Offline buhdman

• Copper Member
      • http://home.earthlink.net/~wjbarrow
Raised by wolves!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2001, 11:17:00 AM »
He wasn't "raised by wolves", he lived with a pack of dogs for two years starting from age 7.  Big difference.

Still, it's an intriguing story.  Sometimes I think I might prefer a pack of dogs to some of the people I've seen in this world  ;)

Buhdman, out

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Raised by wolves!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2001, 04:39:00 PM »
Pffftt... well duh  :)

Just a take off on the very cliched tabloid stories "Raised be wolves!"... I think I even remember a TV series based on the same premise.

What I don't understand is how this kid could have been roaming around town with a pack of dogs for 2 years and nobody picked him up earlier.