Author Topic: their ought to be a law........  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
their ought to be a law........
« on: June 19, 2001, 11:42:00 AM »
Having read reviews, and talked with friends who have bought WW2OL, I'm a bit peeved.

If General Motors can't sell you a car legally, that they describe as full featured, v8, air concitioning and so forth that doesn't have any of the features they've sold you, how can the people (cornered rat) get away with selling a piece of software that in no way delivers what they'd promised?

Thousands of people have been duped into spending their hard earned cash on a piece of software that doesn't funtion close to the performance they've hyped for the last year?  How in the Hell do these software companies get away with this??  WW2OL isn't close to delivering what they've advertised, and another question is how could the public be duped so readily into buying a half baked wargame sim?

I know we've all bought games that we had to download patches so that the game would operate more smoothly, anyone who bought Janes' combat flight sim remembers the patch to correct joystick problems.  But one would need a bazillion Gig hard drive to hold the patch for WW2OL.  How did they get away with this?  And for those of you who bought it I am angered that ww2OLs' marketing was so effective that again, the PC user was duped into paying for something that didn't work!

"There oughta be a Law"
            :mad:
- The Flying Circus -

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2001, 11:47:00 AM »
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on....

;)
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline DmdNexus

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2001, 11:50:00 AM »
Hajo

LOL, there is a precedence, Microsoft has been selling something they call an Operating System for years.

Nexus

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2001, 11:58:00 AM »
Well, I somewhat anticipated WW2Ol, but after being incessantly bombarded by the ignorant about how "cool" it will be and how it will blow AH away... I decided to wait and let those ignorant individuals get suckered into spending $40 for a less than half-assed half-baked product, so I could sit back and laugh my bellybutton off at how these same individuals promoting the "ultimate World War PC Simulation" were foaming at the mouth with acid tongues because they got shafted.

-SW

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2001, 12:09:00 PM »
But the MS OS's have worked. Right out of the box too.  They've comes with bugs, for sure, however the OS has always worked as given that it would. If the box said CD rom support, it's there. If it claims USB support, it has it. Etc, etc, etc.

Hajo is absolutely right. There are claims of running requirments, gameplay and included features on the WW2O box and still up on their website that are completely bogus and false. It's basically false advertising although I do not think it's all intentional.  However thier pre-release hype from so mnay of the CRS folks onthier now defunked old web sight sure would make it that way. False advertising is something other product makers are sued for attempting to push off on the public. Makers and packagers of food, medicines, autos, appliances, credit card providers, ...

But some of you folks think it's normal and we should expect it. That is odd.  

Westy

[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: Westy MOL ]

[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: Westy MOL ]

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2001, 01:40:00 PM »
Creative Advertising...
they'll just keep on saying that the features are in development and you can expect blah blah blah...

Most people should've seen this coming and not bought into the hype.

Many sims promise but do not deliver.
Stay with a proven winner:  Aces High !
The deliver and keep delivering..
it's amazing how the users actually EXPECT updates and added features all the time...

how many other games do this ?   nadda

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2001, 01:55:00 PM »
"Potential", seems to be what everyone is buying.  That's why I buy lottery tickets :D

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2001, 01:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by 1776:
"Potential", seems to be what everyone is buying.  That's why I buy lottery tickets  :D

Sucker...  

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2001, 02:09:00 PM »
So if I got it right Hajo you don't have that game but you're angry because you have friends who got it but can't get it run properly ?

What kind of hardware/software does your friends use? Ask them and post results here so some of us can give some tips and advices to you so you can send those again to your friends....  :D

Offline TK_421

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2001, 02:27:00 PM »
The reason they can do that is because they never sell you software.

They license it.  You don't own anything except the media, and the license to use it. (which can be revoked at any time).

By licensing, you agree to a contract that absloves them of responisibility if the product does not work.  This is legal in most states because no rights are absolute - they can be bargained away (free speeh vs. NDAs for example) in a contract.  

This is how MS can stay in business, because they provide no guarantee that the software will work as advertised, and have no liability if it does not.  This has had the effect of causing users to to expect buggy software, and be grateful if it works well.

It's a funny world we live in...

TK/Diche

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2001, 02:46:00 PM »
Staga....  drdea tried to use it, he has an athlon 1 gig, or 1.2 gig with geforce2 card I believe, the rest I'm not sure about.  I'll ask him when he's online in AH.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2001, 02:55:00 PM »
and by the way........I'm also angered, being a PC owner and builder for many years, that when we the public buy software, we don't get the "shaft" as we often do.  seems like the PC owner, the customer of software is an open target for bogus software, and for these many years, we get the answer "so what, what did you expect, something that works??"
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2001, 03:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hajo:
Staga....  drdea tried to use it, he has an athlon 1 gig, or 1.2 gig with geforce2 card I believe, the rest I'm not sure about.  I'll ask him when he's online in AH.

he's running about what I have (900 athlon, geforce 2), he should be able to play just fine.

Oh, and I got shafted?  How so?  I'm having fun playing WWIIOL.  Even when I was having problems with FPS in flight in the beginning, I had fun doing the other aspects of the game.  In fact, it got my to actually go play the other aspects of WWIIOL. If flight had been enjoyable from the beginning, I'm not sure if I would have tried infantry or armor yet.  <shrugs>  More importantly, I'm getting to play with some friends of mine that don't want to pay $30/month for a game.  Sure we get into some HtH fun in AH, but that's not as fun for us as being in a full game world with 100's of people.  So if what I'm feeling is "shafted,"  well hell, I hope I get "shafted" more often, because I'm having a blast!   :p
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2001, 03:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Staga:
So if I got it right Hajo you don't have that game but you're angry because you have friends who got it but can't get it run properly?

Staga, in this country we place a great imporatnce on the law. We do get upset and angry if a crime is commited even if we are not personally victims of that crime.

If you get robbed while visiting New York, I will get angry.
 If you get ripped off buying something from an american company, I get angry.

Jerks who cheated the customers while working for Cornered Rats may well be working somewhere else tomorrow (MacDonalds?) where they may cheat me. It's as simple as that.

miko

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2001, 03:39:00 PM »
I'm using PIII 700 oc'd to 933 with 512megs RAM and as we all know Athlons ARE better in gameing use than same clockspeed Pentiums it really makes me wonder if something is wrong in your buds pc?
My FPS are from 17 to 50 depending what situation I am in but game has always been playable for me.

Be sure your friend uses cacheman proggie to tweak memory usage and also big enuff swapfile helps too (I'm using 1gig fixed size, not sure if its best but it works).