Author Topic: Climbing - Auto vs Manual  (Read 831 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Climbing - Auto vs Manual
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2005, 12:28:01 PM »
There is no difference between "auto climb" and "auto speed". They are both alt-X. It's just that the speed defaults to the best speed for planes to climb at for whatever plane you are in. Note that this best speed is for sea level, and may not be as effective higher up. However I've not found anything better at higher altitudes (meaning have not found any other settings/speeds that produce better ROC).

Once you change the speed with a .speed xxx command, you need to know what the default was. This is easy enough. You fly a plane often enough and you'll remember what the auto climb speed is. Example, 109s hover within 5mph of 150. 190s are about 175-185.

I have tried several planes with tolerances of +/- 10-20 mph of their default speeds, with little to no noticable difference, so as long as you're in the ballpark of the default you'll still climb well.

What I'd rather have, other than a single speed, is to have the E6B tell me what my best climbing speed would be for the alt I'm at. That would rock. They MUST have had charts/hand-held computers like that to train pilots in real life.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2005, 01:24:35 PM »
Krusty,

Actually there are some big differences in climb speeds. For one, if you can climb at a pretty nice rate at a speed your plane is very maneuverable and you have more options in the event you get jumped. Wallowing along at 150 mph +/- 5 mph is an easy way to get kilt because you can't get outa yer own way, let alone some guy rolling in on you.
Climbing at a rate that is a lil less than default but gives you the ability to turn much quicker is a much better option.

Granted, if you lifted off 30 miles behind your front lines and no enemy are within 40 miles of you then its fine to go for best climb to altitude.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2005, 04:37:34 PM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen
Krusty,

Actually there are some big differences in climb speeds. For one, if you can climb at a pretty nice rate at a speed your plane is very maneuverable and you have more options in the event you get jumped. Wallowing along at 150 mph +/- 5 mph is an easy way to get kilt because you can't get outa yer own way, let alone some guy rolling in on you.
Climbing at a rate that is a lil less than default but gives you the ability to turn much quicker is a much better option.

Granted, if you lifted off 30 miles behind your front lines and no enemy are within 40 miles of you then its fine to go for best climb to altitude.

Ahhhmmm, i generally have a 5 to 6K warning before i have to go evasive. Usually plenty. And a 190 closes up very fast to a Hurricane in autoclimb.

Oh and Ren, i dont understand what you mean by 'autoclimb'. The only autoclimb i know in AH is ALT X, wich actually holds plane at preset speed (ie autospeed). When´throttling back it actually makes you dive at a shallow angle to keep up speed. (Useful im Bombers for landing approach, keeps speed low and drones are happy as well). Is there another one?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 04:41:56 PM by Schatzi »
21 is only half the truth.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2005, 05:41:54 PM »
AUTO  =  X  ( some what a level flight with maybe a slight nose up atitude pulling around 1 G )
AUTO CLIMB / AUTO SPEED = ALT X ( can override with dot command  .speed xxx ) (xxx being your desired speed )

AUTO ANGLE  = Shift  X  ( one of the least used , but is very very useful once you play around with it )

as for AUTO ClLIMB  / AUTO SPEED,  using a P51D as example, you much better off taking off letting the P51D get up to around 250 or 275 then setting the .speed to around 225 to 250 verses leaving it in the default autoclimb/auto speed setting..... try it sometime
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC