Author Topic: black out turns  (Read 2363 times)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
black out turns
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2001, 01:59:00 PM »

Originally posted by -towd_:
yes fish this is the dweeb move im talkin about a game the game move and very common today not to mention totaly unrealistic . they dont seem to lose much e at all in what must be a 20 g turn alot. seems like it would be easy to stop .

I would guess that WW2 planes would get damaged from even over 9g turns, and those i think has way more G's..
Even spitfire might damage its wings in +6 G turn  

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
black out turns
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2001, 04:32:00 PM »
I'm too am getting pretty ticked off at the blackout functionality.  I've been a turn-fighter since way back and have lots of stick time in Warbirds.  It seems in AH whenever I attempt to turn fight I'm always on the verge of blacking out and lose sight of the enemy. I'm not pulling hard on the stick and turning only at moderate speeds (i.e. 250-300 mph). So, I'm either nearly blacking out or nearly stalling at 200 mph!!! It seems like I'm always getting out turned even though I'm in the better turning aircraft. Because of the black out, I'm forced to make wider sweeping turns and that just doesn't cut it. So... that only leaves BnZ tactics left for me.  Not my favorite A2A tactic.  I think they need to lighten up on the black out speeds.  I'm seeing most pilots do head-on passes and I think it's because of this situation.

Offline JoeMud

• Zinc Member
black out turns
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2001, 06:14:00 PM »
Pft whatll they think of next...anything to hold the target still while they blast it with there turbolasers....you can be damned sure if you where on my 6 in RL with alot more speed I would pull a high G turn almost blacking out then reverse and put one up yer arse as you buzzed by. As far as the blackout goes leave it,its fine.

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
black out turns
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2001, 06:24:00 PM »

Originally posted by SpitLead:
Because of the black out, I'm forced to make wider sweeping turns and that just doesn't cut it. So... that only leaves BnZ tactics left for me.  Not my favorite A2A tactic.  I think they need to lighten up on the black out speeds.  

First mistake is not using throttle control.  Without going into too much detail (which should be kept in the Training folder) sounds like you are trying to turn while too fast.  Your enemy (who is probably slower or using E Fiting tactics) is turning inside your turn circle.  This isnt a blackout problem, its a tactics problem.

-Ding

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
black out turns
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2001, 06:58:00 PM »
Spitlead,

I'm from WBs too and believe me, you'll get used to blackouts here eventually.  I found I had to be gentler on the stick, no constant hard pulls.  Also, like somebody else suggested, you really have to be aware of your speed..if you're turning at 300 mph, you won't be able to pull very hard.  Most people learn to pull hard and black out for short bursts when they need it.

bowser

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
black out turns
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2001, 06:50:00 PM »
I think I have the tactics down (I've done this before).  Maybe I'm just using my Warbirds experience as a barometer but AH is much more sensitive to blackouts than Warbirds (IMHO).  I've been trying to be very aware of my speed and that's helped some, but when I'm nearly stalling at 200 MPH and blacking out between 250-300 MPH that doesn't leave me much room. I agree we need to have blackouts, just that the tolerance levels need to be a bit higher. I think Bowser is probably right, this won't get changed and this is something I'll just have to get used to.  Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now :-)

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
black out turns
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2001, 07:32:00 PM »
Thanks Vulcan!

Have you ever tried cleaning up a drink that you've sprayed over your entire monitor and speakers.  Very messy.

I guess I shouldn't have been drinking while reading these replies.  
I was ok until I hit your comment.

Quote:
 "Either that or an intravenous tube thats hooked up to a USB Port and when you pull hard-Gs sucks the blood outta ya"

Pokie

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
black out turns
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2001, 12:16:00 AM »
Has anyone bothered to look at the G-meter when in tunnel vision?

I suggest you do so before asking for upped tolerences  

You can find the blackout G number by centering the view on the meter.

------------------

33rd FW www.33rd.org

[This message has been edited by Jigster (edited 01-24-2001).]

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
black out turns
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2001, 04:38:00 AM »
6+ g's for extended periods of time do weird things with yer blood flow  .

If anything, they should up the recovery time of blackouts.

Some of my more memorable flights have involved me, with a spikey stick, outdiving a pursuing enemy, maneuvering on the verge of bblackout, getting a massive spike and going into blackout....

And not getting out of it. letting go of stick...20k to start with....coming out...3k..UGH.

Very amusing  .

Of course, auto pilot cheato is not used by Real Men(tm) to get out of such situations.

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

"I don't necessarily agree with everything I think." - A. Eldritch

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
black out turns
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2001, 07:40:00 AM »
Sparks,

The short answer is no.  If that was the case the physics of the flight model would change on different speed PCs, and the end result would be rather obvious.  The only real issue is the relative latency of the connections.  The more latency in the connection, the more the difference in time between when he does something and when you see it.  However, the delay is normally pretty constant, so the other guy follows the laws of physics and the flight model, you just see the results a half second later.

The only thing that throws a wrench into the works is packet loss or a widly varying latency.  You'll know it when this happens, because the enemy plane will obviously warp.  Not much can be done about that, it's the nature of the beast, however the poor fellow with the bad connect should be seeing everybody warp, so he'll normally have to correct the problem or be unable to shoot anything.  

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"A pig is a jolly companion, Boar, sow, barrow, or gilt --
A pig is a pal, who'll boost your morale, Though mountains may topple and tilt.
When they've blackballed, bamboozled, and burned you, When they've turned on you, Tory and Whig,
Though you may be thrown over by Tabby and Rover, You'll never go wrong with a pig, a pig,
You'll never go wrong with a pig!" -- Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"