Author Topic: Aiming  (Read 658 times)

Titanium

Aiming
« on: January 18, 2001, 02:07:00 PM »
Hiya's,
       Is it me or what !!! , I seem to get less pings on a target the closer i get to it !!! I have converge set to aroung 350-400 on most planes i fly so do you think this is the cause ??  Any ideas be appreciated

Offline Graywolf

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.flibble.org/~tim
Aiming
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2001, 02:32:00 PM »

It's much harder to track a maneuvering target when close into it as the change in angle caused by a given deviation from the expected position is so much larger.

What I mean is if someone moves 30 ft out of line when they're a 1000 yds away you only have to adjust a degree or so, when they're 50 yds away you may have to make a much larger adjustment to aim at them.

------------------
Graywolfe <tim@flibble.org>

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Aiming
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2001, 03:38:00 PM »
 I've tried gunnery at convergence in increments of 25 yards, from min. to max. I've never seen a whole lot of difference. Max (650 yards) improves your chances in an HO. But HO,s usually come down to connex anyway. So that doesn't mean much.

What is very different, is the bullet drop of a cannon round, and a MG round. I would suggest using cannon only for awhile. Then when you get use to where they hit. Switch to MG only for awhile. (much less lead). Then you will know where to aim, depending on the type of guns you are using.

Also, there is an old saying in sim,s. Fly the plane, not the guns. If your bird is in trim, when you fire, all kind of nasty things happen to the bad guy

[This message has been edited by easymo (edited 01-18-2001).]

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
Aiming
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2001, 02:53:00 AM »

Originally posted by Titanium:
Hiya's,
       Is it me or what !!! , I seem to get less pings on a target the closer i get to it !!! I have converge set to aroung 350-400 on most planes i fly so do you think this is the cause ??  Any ideas be appreciated

I fly mostly 190A8 and 109 with 3x20, both planes use 151/20 joke cannons and, IMO, 350-400 yards cnv is too much. For example, max cnv for my A8 inner guns is 300 or 275, max cnv for my A8 outer guns is 275 or 250. In the case of 109, with the central gun, things change a bit, cnv for central set to 325 and 300 for outer guns (109 ROF is greater than A8 due synchronization). Cnv for machineguns in both cases is set to 350, but I only use them once guns have ran out of ammo. Anyway, my aiming skill is near or below null.

Pepino

Aiming
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2001, 03:52:00 AM »
I can't shoot a tanker over 300 yds. I usually have my conv. adjusted between 175 and 200 yds. The only way I usually hit a target is when is REALLY close.

Now if I just could get my plane there...

And what Graywolf says is true. My BFM tend to finish with some kind of wild roll when I get closer than 150 yds from my enemy's 6. Nearly impossible to have a steady tracking on a manouvering con 200 yds. or less, unless both, attacker and defender, are VERY slow.

Not that my opinion worths much, as in my particular case, skill and gunnery are two words that just don't fit toghether  

Cheers,

Pepe.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Aiming
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2001, 06:32:00 AM »
In my experience there is a "sweet spot" from 350 to 250 that is easiest to hit in. Any closer and tracking is much harder. Especially on any aircraft that has a good roll rate. Farther out and it's harder to correct for lead and bullet drop.

Mk10 225th

Aiming
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2001, 09:31:00 AM »
250 here.  I like close work, but this gives me a little bit of a distance ability too.

Too far, and your bullets converge, and then start spreading out toot de sweet before the come in contact with the bandit, and then spray on either side of them without contact.

I've also had good luck wing-walking with a .45.

Mk

Titanium

Aiming
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2001, 10:48:00 AM »
Hiya's,
       I guess i will dabble with my converges again till i get em all sorted again (format c: lost all of em)    lol

Thanks for input guys

Tit

jato757

Aiming
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2001, 07:45:00 PM »