Author Topic: Cheap ammo  (Read 546 times)

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
Cheap ammo
« on: July 28, 2005, 12:41:46 AM »
Can anyone recommend cheap online stores for bulk/surplus ammo. I’d like to buy 7.62x54R, 7.62x39 and 9x18M and my usual store is asking for ridiculous shipping cost.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Cheap ammo
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 08:53:07 AM »
russian.. the ammoman is fairly cheap but best of all... free shipping.  It is ammoman.com

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
Cheap ammo
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 10:17:33 AM »
Hi Laz,

Originally posted by lazs2
russian.. the ammoman is fairly cheap but best of all... free shipping.  It is ammoman.com

Thanks for posting this, I've been looking for a source for cheap non-corrosive .303 ammo.

Gotta love the laws though, a NJ company that  cannot ship to NJ residents. :lol

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Cheap ammo
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 10:19:12 AM »
Try The Sportsman's Guide, and Dillon Precision. Also, Cabela's sells bulk ammo.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Cheap ammo
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 10:41:38 AM »
I was going to say the Sportsman's guide too, but I haven't been there in a long time.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Cheap ammo
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 11:11:47 AM »
Will second Ammoman, used them a few times. Never had any problems.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
Cheap ammo
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 11:37:17 AM »
Thanks for posting this, I've been looking for a source for cheap non-corrosive .303 ammo.

Wolf is supposed to start manufacturing and importing some towards the end of summer. No word on specific price yet, but it should be in line with its other products.

Charon

Offline bigsky

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Cheap ammo
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 01:39:02 PM »
"I am moist like bacon"

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
Cheap ammo
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 05:37:50 PM »
http://www.aimsurplus.com

http://www.ammunitionstore.com

in addition to the above mentioned.

Glad to hear Wolf will start manufacturing 303!

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
Cheap ammo
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 06:13:56 PM »
Glad to hear Wolf will start manufacturing 303!

Apparently it's passed the rumor stage and actually going to happen with e-mails confirmed by reps., etc. Likely be clean, steel cased (not reloadable) and cheap.

Charon

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
Cheap ammo
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 08:12:04 PM »
That's outstanding news. I enjoy shooting the ol' No4, but have to sparingly because of the ammo.

On the 4th of July I pitted my No4 against my Garand for mid-range (2-300 yard) plinking against metal plates. I hadn't fired it in so long I had forgotten how accurate it is and what a pleasure to shoot.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
Cheap ammo
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 09:18:28 PM »
I have a no. 4 and a no. 5 that I haven't shot that I would like to take to the range soon. It’s a bit of a production for me since it's about a 1.25 hour trip each way. I have about 70 rounds of some 1953 British that I got loose in a bag at a gunshow months ago. It looks pretty rough and I expect some hangfires.

I've been collecting since November and just went out and shot my first battle rifle a few weeks ago. In fact, my first rifle since an M-16 in about 1992. Quite a difference :) I fired 100 rounds through the K98k on the 100 yard range and just worried about hitting the paper and getting used to the sights and the recoil without flinching. Put most rounds in about 12 moa :) In my defense the front receiver bolt worked loose a bit and my eyeglass prescription is a bit out of spec. I know, a poor carpenter blames his tools.

Charon
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 09:55:29 PM by Charon »

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
Cheap ammo
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 11:02:50 PM »
Heh Charon yeah it takes some getting used to. I love the thought of firing my K98 but in practise prefer to do it wearing thick winter clothing. There's nothing more rewarding than sending a high-powered round out of a 60 year old rifle 300+ yards downrange and pinging a 12 inch plate.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Cheap ammo
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 11:14:20 PM »
Get ya a sissy pad......

Back when I was developing loads for my .300 Wby when it was in the factory stock, I got one. I might shoot 50 rounds off the bench in a session in those days. Worked great. Took the kick from the .300 down to something like a .30-06, which was a LARGE reduction.

Funny thing was, when I put the .300 into a B&C composite stock that was a lot straighter, I never used the pad again. The straighter stock and the composite stock makes it recoil  a bit more than my .270. Very pleasant to shoot now.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
Cheap ammo
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2005, 04:05:09 PM »
I had the sissy pad :) Figured I would try to get off to a start without a flinch. I think my trigger control and flinchig were generally not horrible (paid a lot of attention to it, worked on being surprised at discharge, caught a few flinches early as they were about to happen). Have to test it with some dummy rounds.

I do think the eyesight played a roll. The target was a grey blob unless I squinted, then the sight picture blurred while I held the squint. The high shooting is a common issue (most battle rifles initially set to zero at 150 - 200 yards) and a hot barrel and the loose stock/receiver bolt couldn't have helped. In any case, getting tight is going to involve some practice.

Pad or not, the Mauser had a stiff recoil. I hear the Enfield is not too bad. And I expect my heavy M39 to be pretty tame.  It was a totla blast regardless (pun intended) and can't wait to make another day of it. Shot a hundred through the .357 while I was there.

Charon
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 04:15:37 PM by Charon »