Author Topic: Ostwind Deflection Aiming explained  (Read 7584 times)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Ostwind Deflection Aiming explained
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2005, 10:11:25 AM »
Originally posted by LTARaptr
Well all I can say is I do all that and the last tour I believe our scores were very very close. /B]

You need to look again friend... ;)

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2005, 10:25:17 AM »
Originally posted by Lye-El
I generally can't see my own tracers against the blue sky and clouds. Just everybody elses. :furious

Turn your gamma down a bit, so the sky is not so bright.

Zazen

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2005, 11:42:34 AM »
Lye-I,

Im willing to bet you have a CRT monitor and not a LCD?

Am I right?

LCD  make tracers 1000% more easy to see.

Balsy

CRT sufferer of "cant see-um tracers"

Offline AKFokerFoder+

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2005, 12:27:38 PM »
Originally posted by DMax
Zazen takes the time to offer some help and you resply with this chest pounding? Shame on you

DmdMax

Well put! <>

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2005, 08:47:28 PM »
By popular demand I am bumping this post so it can be more easily found.

Zazen

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2005, 12:27:43 PM »
ty zazen!!  when I was flying a bit last month i tried your method and i'm happy to report i pounded the snot out of air.  lol.  i'm sure what you laid out works.  i expect more practice and better following directions would help.

Hap

Offline snkbyt

• Zinc Member
      • http://none
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2005, 12:24:53 AM »
Hi ZAZEN, Great post. Been trying it with no luck yet. When you talk about the edge of the screen at 1k do you mean the endge of the monitor screen or the edge of the gunsight glass screen??? Thanks for your help!!!! RajnMAW;)

Offline GooseAW

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.chawks.com
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2005, 12:06:04 PM »
Edge of the screen.

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2005, 05:14:38 PM »
I have read this post before, apprecate it's intent, but have not been able to get results using the techniques described.  I occasionally hit a plane with deflection shooting, but it seems random.  Ostwind films don't show tracers, so figuring out where your shells are going relative to the planes is not possible.   I have a few questions if those in the know can provide some clues:

1.  How much drop does the (Ostwind) round have from 200 to 1000 yards.  From what I have seen there is some.  How does that relate to where to aim when zoomed in 100%?

2.  When leading planes, it seems I have to lead more than what is described in the guide.  Maybe rounds are dropping below the planes?  Also, doesn't plane speed come into play here?  It seems there is a measureable time between firing and when the shell hits, at least when firing at hangers and buildings on the field.

3.  How does the gunsite resolution change bullet impact?   On my machine, where the rounds hit (when firing at stationary hangers, etc) changes depending on the amount of zoom. The bullets don't hit at the center of the gunsite.  I use the mouse pointer technique (so I can get a better field of view) and putting the mouse at the center of the gunsite is not where the rounds are hitting.  This happens even if I don't use the mouse pointer as a gunsite.   Does dispersion take care of this?  

4.  This isn't a question, but if you do have any films of shooting down planes using this technique they would be appreciated.  After viewing some of my own films, I could not figure that much out, but looking at someones that knows what they are doing might help.  

It would be nice if the Training Arena allowed taking up Ostwinds and shooting rubber bullets at the planes flying over the fields.  That might be too distracting for new pilots though.  Once again, any guide on deflection shooting with an Ostwind is much apprecaited (even if I don't understand how to apply it).  

Regards,

Malta

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2005, 12:27:16 AM »
Originally posted by stantond
I have read this post before, apprecate it's intent, but have not been able to get results using the techniques described.  I occasionally hit a plane with deflection shooting, but it seems random.  Ostwind films don't show tracers, so figuring out where your shells are going relative to the planes is not possible.   I have a few questions if those in the know can provide some clues:

1.  How much drop does the (Ostwind) round have from 200 to 1000 yards.  From what I have seen there is some.  How does that relate to where to aim when zoomed in 100%?

2.  When leading planes, it seems I have to lead more than what is described in the guide.  Maybe rounds are dropping below the planes?  Also, doesn't plane speed come into play here?  It seems there is a measureable time between firing and when the shell hits, at least when firing at hangers and buildings on the field.

3.  How does the gunsite resolution change bullet impact?   On my machine, where the rounds hit (when firing at stationary hangers, etc) changes depending on the amount of zoom. The bullets don't hit at the center of the gunsite.  I use the mouse pointer technique (so I can get a better field of view) and putting the mouse at the center of the gunsite is not where the rounds are hitting.  This happens even if I don't use the mouse pointer as a gunsite.   Does dispersion take care of this?  

4.  This isn't a question, but if you do have any films of shooting down planes using this technique they would be appreciated.  After viewing some of my own films, I could not figure that much out, but looking at someones that knows what they are doing might help.  

It would be nice if the Training Arena allowed taking up Ostwinds and shooting rubber bullets at the planes flying over the fields.  That might be too distracting for new pilots though.  Once again, any guide on deflection shooting with an Ostwind is much apprecaited (even if I don't understand how to apply it).  

Regards,

Malta

Ok, I will answer your questions in order:

1) The shell drop to targets up to 1k away is fairly insignificant, over that distance it becomes increasingly and incrementally more significant. The amount the shell drops under 1k is smaller than the variability of the 'spread' to you can aim a hair above but not more if you want but usually you don't need to.

2) The faster the plane is going the more you have to lead relative to the base amount. A bandit going 500mph but 800 away you will have to have him about on the edge of the screen as if he were going 300'ish but 1k away. Conversely, a bandit going only 200 mph but 1k away you only need to lead him 3/4 of the way to the edge. It's something you have to get a feel for, but as I stated in the original post, smaller and/or faster targets lead more than the base amount, slower and/or large targets lead less. My formula in the original post is based on an average plane like the P51 going an average speed of 325'ish.

3) Only fire fully zoomed in, there is no reason to fire partially zoomed in. I have experimented with this at various resolutions. There is no difference between where the shell goes relative to the centerline position fully zoomed in or fully zoomed out, however at some resolutions there is a difference if only partially zoomed in. My guide only works if you are fully zoomed in when firing.

4) I just had a volunteer willing to host a film of me using this method. I will post one shortly.

Zazen

Offline 101ABN

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2005, 04:38:28 AM »
thanks for the good info.. im gonna give it a shot and report my results... normally i only hit the aircraft once bombs are released.... ha ha  

Offline Colt44

• Silver Member
ty again Zaz....
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2005, 06:46:50 PM »
Ok...

Any more ideas on how to kill the staight on "easy shot".   You know, the dropping in, dead on, mid-level, air to ground osti HO dweeb.

I couldn't hit the Goodyear blimp in one of those Osti's.  When he's dropping in at a 45 degree angle, do I shoot over or under the plane?  

and remember, speak slowly and use little words when dealing with me...

Offline AKFokerFoder+

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2005, 09:53:35 PM »
One of the tips that Zazen gave me that helped me with the shot you are talking about is not to "micromanage" the shooting.  The dispersion is pretty wide on the ostwind.  I get the stream just under the bogey and leave it there, kind of like trying to shoot his tires off.  If you don't jerk the gun up down or left right every time your shell misses (micromanage).  Just be patient, the rate of fire is pretty fast, one of the next 2 or 3 shots will get him (patience grasshopper).  If you move your joystick chasing the target after every shot, he will get you more often than he gets you.

You must trust in the force and your aim.

Also, film some of your sorties, then later get in the bogey from the chase mode, and see where your shells are landing.  Then check from the gunsite, and then the plane view.   You will soon learn where to aim, and have confidence not to chase the target. :aok

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
On Micromanaging
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2005, 10:29:10 PM »
AKFokerFoder+ that explanes why after I hear the bomb release at 45% and I just hold the trigger and accept my fate, I often get simaltanious kill and death. Always chalked it up to target fixation and auger on his part and never considered that I may have done the right thing by accident ;)
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2005, 07:26:03 AM »
if you had any trouble hosting i can recieve anything up to 10MB through this email and would be happy to host anything up to 10MB for unlimited time.

djhayze21@hotmail.com

buzz me if you need it zazen.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.