Author Topic: Mines  (Read 1105 times)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Mines
« on: August 13, 2005, 03:33:15 AM »
How about you can trade perks for land mines, which you can place anywhere within a certain distance of a particular friendly field?  The price and supply of mines can be managed based on arena balance so people don't go crazy...

To compensate for killshooter being abused with mines, a friendly should be able to detonate a mine if he runs over it, but it won't cause damage.  That way a minefield can't be abused by luring enemy vehicles into it without the "friendly" driver knowing where the mines are.  Drive over one of your own mines, and kaboom!  The mine detonates causing no friendly damage but it would alert the enemy that there are mines around.

Have the mines expire and "come alive" only every 15 or so minutes so the server would only have to update people's clients with minefield lists every once in a while.  Mines would expire off of the list automatically so the only realtime mine info would need to be which ones are actually detonated.  That, plus limiting the number of active mines in the arena at any one time, might make the bandwidth problem associated with these things managable.

Either that, or make mines act like very very slow bullets :)  The mine owner's client is responsible for updating the host whenever a mine is detonated.  That way the mine owner would be forced to remain nearby the mines in order to get player position updates and notice/report detonations.  It would prevent abuse and over-use if the mine owner had to remain close to the mines otherwise they'd disappear.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
Mines
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 08:00:21 AM »
treat this as a joke, he-he

Give mines to M3 as another ordnance, say 10 of them. To place a mine you need to drive to point and stop for 15-20 sec. Mines cannt be placed on concrete and around GV spawns (500m looks enough). Mines must be visible, but not too well. Mines still active fo limited time, say 30-60 minutes or few hours, when disappears.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Mines
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 09:41:21 AM »
Ok I'll buy into the Mine idea. but only if we can also have  unarmed vehicles with flail chains to safely clear a path through minefeilds. Then Gvs wuold haveto follow these vehicles exactly or risk running over a mine.

Might be interesting
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline uberhun

• Nickel Member
Re: Mines
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 09:55:53 AM »
Originally posted by eagl
How about you can trade perks for land mines, which you can place anywhere within a certain distance of a particular friendly field?  The price and supply of mines can be managed based on arena balance so people don't go crazy...

To compensate for killshooter being abused with mines, a friendly should be able to detonate a mine if he runs over it, but it won't cause damage.  That way a minefield can't be abused by luring enemy vehicles into it without the "friendly" driver knowing where the mines are.  Drive over one of your own mines, and kaboom!  The mine detonates causing no friendly damage but it would alert the enemy that there are mines around.

Have the mines expire and "come alive" only every 15 or so minutes so the server would only have to update people's clients with minefield lists every once in a while.  Mines would expire off of the list automatically so the only realtime mine info would need to be which ones are actually detonated.  That, plus limiting the number of active mines in the arena at any one time, might make the bandwidth problem associated with these things managable.

Either that, or make mines act like very very slow bullets :)  The mine owner's client is responsible for updating the host whenever a mine is detonated.  That way the mine owner would be forced to remain nearby the mines in order to get player position updates and notice/report detonations.  It would prevent abuse and over-use if the mine owner had to remain close to the mines otherwise they'd disappear.

Mines are good like that
Uber

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
Mines
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 12:32:12 PM »
I like the idea!

I also go with Drediock for having mine-sweeper gv's (ofcourse unarmed)

Offline MOIL

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ltar.org
Mines
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 10:47:19 PM »
I'd go for it  :aok

Offline 101ABN

• Nickel Member
Mines
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 07:26:20 AM »
all for it, it would put a neat twist to the GV missions.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Mines
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 08:15:21 AM »
I can see it now, some n00b keeps upping a minesweeper while panzers fire at him from every direction...
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Mines
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 07:19:34 PM »
Another reason to add the Sherman.  It can be the mine clearing version with the flail mounted on the front.  It will be able to defend itself as well.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Mines
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 09:33:00 PM »
I don't buy into the idea of an unarmed gv being able to place mines, I think that might be too complicated. I do think that mines could be added as part of the map. It would be like auto-ack and already be placed, and only able to destroy enemy vehicles. It could reset every 30 minutes.
Example:

(red dots are mines)

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Mines
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 02:06:06 AM »
Definately have them in the indestructables...
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Mines
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 02:14:10 AM »
I remember when ah had mines.  They looked like white rocks, but if you drove over one, you were suddenly dead :)
Seriously though, interesting idea.