Author Topic: Smoke on the fileds...  (Read 676 times)

Offline Purzel

• Copper Member
Smoke on the fileds...
« on: December 13, 2000, 07:18:00 PM »
Hey HT!

I have a prob landing on just recently capped fields because of the smoke my FR is in the single-sigits and more than once I did a crash-landing.
No, under normal circumstances I'm almost always able to land without damaging the plane  

Id like to see a possibillity for the client to adjust the smoke-complexity. I know this has been an even bigger issue before and you have changed it, but the smoke still is a prob for me.

I dont state it is top-priority, but maybe you can change this in one of the next updates?

I would really appreciate it. And if ppl complain because the ones turning it down would have an advantage, just make it a bigger hindering, just not transparent and not so many layers ...

Thx a lot...

------------------
CU

Purzel

--
"Find the enemy and shoot him down, everything else is nonsense!"
M. von Richthofen

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
Smoke on the fileds...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2000, 10:24:00 PM »
 I agree,smoke needs to be cut way back for game play purposes. I`m running 525mhz,256mb of ram and a TNT2 32mb card,FPS slows to a crawl at smoking fields-even using minimum view settings.

Offline Regurge

• Nickel Member
Smoke on the fileds...
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2000, 11:59:00 PM »
Yep, i was defending s3 tonight in a panzer. At one point pretty much everything at the field was smoking. Zoomed in thru the gunsight i was getting 8fps or less and it was nearly unplayable. My system is 600Mhz Athlon/Geforce 256.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Smoke on the fileds...
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2000, 03:05:00 AM »
I remember that problem from before.

Maybe HT could make the smoke become a blob of black floating over the fire instead of a translucent black haze when your card hits a framerate below, say, 10fps?

OTOH, id love to see a LOT more smoke when something blows up =)

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
Smoke on the fileds...
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2000, 03:14:00 AM »
Ops thought it was harvest time, oh well 2 weeks of flowering left.

TheWobble

Smoke on the fileds...
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2000, 03:15:00 AM »
Yea, if you have much wind too the smoke gets even worse!
Im running Athlon 800 with V5 and i drop from around 78fps to 16fps when flying through smoke...kinda raunchy.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Smoke on the fileds...
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2000, 07:41:00 AM »
As mentioned above, they tuned it down once before, I believe it needs to be tuned down once again as well.

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
Smoke on the fileds...
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2000, 09:01:00 AM »
 I agree, the frame rate hit near smoke is just silly. I go from mid 50s to as low as 6fps when in the smoke. If your looking through a panzer's sight zoomed in on the smoke, forget it, I think it goes into the negitave numbers.

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Smoke on the fileds...
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2000, 09:41:00 AM »
Yep.. my old machine had frame rates in the near-zero range so I can relate.
Now that I have a 'real' computer though I think the smoke rocks and wouldn't mind if it were heavier.  

I doubt if it would be fair to let each individual set the complexity level for their own machine.  

Is there a way to compromise?

Offline sourkraut

• Copper Member
      • http://www.riverrunne.com
Smoke on the fileds...
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2000, 10:58:00 AM »
I used the smoke to my advantage last night.
Was defending 22(? airfield SE of 47) from biscuits, several GV were moving in from N.
I rolled up in front of the smoking hangers until my FR went back to normal. The opposing  GV were forced to aim at me with smoke in background and with very low FR. Needless to say I had a huge advantage.

The other thing with the smoke is what's with the perfect ice cream cone shape funnel? Smoke either rises vertically with little spreading (if no wind) or gets blown in the direction of the wind. It doesn't spread and rise in all directions.

Sour

[This message has been edited by sourkraut (edited 12-14-2000).]