Author Topic: P61 Black Widow  (Read 871 times)

Offline jeb

• Zinc Member
P61 Black Widow
« on: August 20, 2005, 09:05:06 AM »
Yes it did. It was a night time fighter/bomber used in the Pacific operation 1944. Also used some in the Europe operation. (Germany)
"I think I felt It Move! Go ahead, touch it..you know you wanna."

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
P61 Black Widow
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 11:31:41 AM »
we dont have night
:rolleyes:

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
P61 Black Widow
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 01:00:36 PM »
Reading some articles in Wings (june 2005), quoting pilots who flew the thing and did field demonstrations for active fighter units which were then using other planes, there was enough special about the bird to warrant use in the daytime too.  Although designed as a night fighter, it was used in day operations as well == I remember a dramatic sequence in Ghost Soldiers when the infiltrating Rangers had a Black Widow do acrobatics and mimic strafing runs to keep Japanese prison guards looking up while the Rangers moved from cover the afternoon before their assault on Cabanatuan.

The Widow had full span double slotted flaps with spoilers for lateral control; that enabled it to do maneuvers like this one, described by test pilot John Myers:

It took about three minutes to perform and it made a lasting impression on every pilot that flew the demo with me... I utilized a very short take off roll which woudl compare with a much smaller aircraft. Then, wheels up quickly, sharp turn and back across the deck at redline 450mph. Followed by a loop and back down on the deck again (Immelman). As I came out of this maneuver, I feathered one engine on the way down to the deck, and then did two slow rolls off the deck INTO the dead engine! By this time, i was on approach, and touched down and taxied into the parking area after a very short roll...

With that kind of capability, 4xhispanos, and 4x50s -- I'd learn to fly it no matter where the sun shone!
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
P61 Black Widow
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 12:07:13 AM »
Originally posted by ramzey
we dont have night
:rolleyes:

Poor responce.
most lanc runs were made at night.
Using your logic we shouldnt have those either:rolleyes:

And the only reason we dont have night is because a group of people whined over and over untill they got rid of it. Because...whining works
Otherwise we would have night.
So because the only reason night was gotten rid of is because some people didnt want it we should not have an aircraft that flew at night? Its not like the MA is historically accurate to begin with. it isnt. If it were you would have a point. But since it is not.
Thats a weak arguement at best
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 12:15:17 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty