Author Topic: Smoking  (Read 4306 times)

Offline Spitboy

• Zinc Member
Smoking
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2001, 04:51:00 PM »
I quit in Feb 2001 (wow, been a while now), after smoking 2.5 packs a day for 10+ years.

I tellya, I can really smell it when I enter the home or car of a smoker. I bet it's a lot worse for ex-smokers, because we were so used to it.

Now, I doubt it would keep me from buying a house, since you can air it out and clean it. But a car - maybe. The smell gets in the upholstery and stuff, and as an ex smoker, you just don't need that reminder.

I got no problem with people smoking, especially outdoors. That's just ludicrous.  I'm not one of those facist anti-smokers. I would recommend folks quit though - it's not that hard if you just make up your mind  :)

Spitboy -SW-

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Smoking
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2001, 06:46:00 PM »
1776; I'm not saying we shouldn't help those that deserve it. I'm saying I resent the high cost of health care that my (much too high) taxes help pay for when someone does something they know to be harmful.

If you want to drive a motorcycle without a helmet, fine. But if you can't afford to pay the million dollar hospital bill to keep you alive after you tangle with a car then too bad, pull the plug. I see smoking pretty much the same way.

I'm for personal liberty to the point I don't think we should have laws that prevent people from killing themselves however they choose, including illegal drugs. I just don't want to have to pay for someone else's foolish mistakes.

If I have to pay for your mistakes then I ought to and eventually will have a say in what you do. Is that what you want?

FYI - I haven't been a burden on anyone (my wife might disagree) since I was 17 thirty years ago and I've paid taxes every year since I was 14. Barring any catastrophic illness (knock on wood) I'll never be a burden on you or society.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Smoking
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2001, 07:00:00 PM »
1776; having reread your post I see we are pretty much in agreement about who should pay for health care.

I'm not normally this "preachy" on any subject. These things just kinda build up and this board is a good vent. Anyhow, light 'em if ya got 'em  ;)
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
Smoking
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2001, 07:49:00 PM »
AKIron, if I read your posts correctly we are more in agreement.  Government has no business in the health care industry.  Government should be in the business of protecting citizens and let the free enterprise system flourish.  When Government gets involved prices rise and services diminish, everytime.  I still want to see just one government program that has lived up to the promise that was sold to the American people.  I can't think of one that doesn't do more harm then good :(

Offline indian

• Copper Member
Smoking
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2001, 08:10:00 PM »
Hoover Dam!  :cool:

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
Smoking
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2001, 11:28:00 PM »
Nope, WPA project and WPA was a huge failure :)  If ya said WWII I would give you a point,cep WWII is what the government is supposted to do :)  Mandaed in the Constitution :)  Which makes my point when they address what they are supposed to do it generally works :)