Author Topic: Gatt, what is going on with these Italian hooligans?  (Read 1272 times)

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
Gatt, what is going on with these Italian hooligans?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2000, 01:16:00 AM »
skernsk,

Hehe, read 'Fever Pitch'.  That is a hardcore football fan, not a hooligan.  Football fans and hooligans are two different things  
ingame: Raz

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2000, 02:20:00 AM »
RAM's probably still pissed off that the Spanish men's basketball team in the recent Para-Lympics were revealed as a bunch of cheats  

11 out of 14 in the 'intellectually disabled' team subsequently confessed they had no disabilities at all.

Some countries (and people) will do ANYTHING to win, won't they RAM?  

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2000, 08:12:00 AM »

Originally posted by Jekyll:
RAM's probably still pissed off that the Spanish men's basketball team in the recent Para-Lympics were revealed as a bunch of cheats    

11 out of 14 in the 'intellectually disabled' team subsequently confessed they had no disabilities at all.

Some countries (and people) will do ANYTHING to win, won't they RAM?    

Ashamed. I am Ashamed of that. Some people in this country will do anything to don anything. Its a shame for the human race, and for Spain for sure.

As a side note, this was a thing mounted by the president of the spanish paralymic federation, and was discovered by the media. Everyone has stated ASAP that this is incredible and taht someone has to pay for that.

For now the president of the federation has resigned, and I really hope that the new president has the honor and gallantry (along with the CHEATER basket players) to give back the Gold medal to the International Federation.

I wont want to see that done by the legal players...because the part of of the team that was really composed by intelectually disabled guys earned their reward.

Its a big big piece of toejam, Jekyll   I wish this had never happened  

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 12-23-2000).]

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2000, 08:19:00 AM »
Skernsk - please don't be a tart. Branding all football fans as hooligans is as legitimate as labelling all Canadians as inbred homosexual bananas.  

Go to a football game in England, and maybe 99% of the time there will be no trouble in the ground. England internationals have the reputation of being pretty hostile events, but until you've been in another country and had bottles and coins thrown at you from the host nation's fans, you won't understand why certain mentally imbalanced individuals react in the way they do.

Unlike RAM, who pretends to have intimate knowledge of all football related fracas where England fans were involved, I've been 'away' with the England supporter's fraternity. There is trouble, but most fans are just that, fans. Some of them do go abroad just to have a fight, but they are in the minority.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2000, 08:26:00 AM »
Dowding,

I'm reading all this and thinking of your "European Super State" post.

It's not looking good, old chum!

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2000, 04:49:00 PM »
Yeah, Toad, it didn't look too good for the States back in the 1860's did it?

If I can have a European superstate formed with only football violence being a problem I'll be a happ man.  
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2000, 05:15:00 PM »
ah, the Civil War was not held during a kindler, gentler time when we were all in touch with our Politically Correct side.

If we did it now, we'd just have their people talk to our people and meet for lunch at Spago.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2000, 06:28:00 PM »
Well you see, England has this reputation where a few hooligans cause trouble and give our football a really bad name.  There was some match last year where English fans were blamed for causing a certain amount of trouble and it finally turned out that some 'neutral' foreign fans joined our allotted area in the stadium and caused the trouble.  Another time in Marseille a restaurant got smashed up, diners said that the English didn't start the trouble... but guess what, ignore the diners that were there and the English were blamed.  Another time, forget which country, English fans were sold tickets in the wrong end of the stand.  Guess what, they were actually allowed in by officials but they didn't have Police segragation... and a fight started.  Hardly surprises me when everyone are happily to accuse England.

As for saying English are the worst... are you forgetting about Turkey?  They murder supporters fairly regular and throw not stones but huge rocks and bricks!

All I can say is that I have followed football all of my life... been to hundreds of matches in England and in Europe and not once have I seen any serious trouble.  Oh, tell a lie, back in 1991 I saw Barcelona fans cause trouble in Rotterdam - fighting with Police.

So RAM, believe what the press says if you want... but don't open your mouth and accuse us of being the worst fans... all it takes is a mindless few to brainwash the braindead.  As for our Prime Minister... well he's totally out of touch with everyone over here and he'll say anything to his 'European' buddies because he's loves Europe with a passion, even if it means selling us out.

Nexx

BTW... I'm only half English!    

[This message has been edited by Replicant (edited 12-23-2000).]
NEXX

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2000, 07:41:00 PM »
Well said, Nexx.

hehehe Toad  , lunch between our people and their people ends up being a 7 day affair, costing millions of pounds when it comes to the EU.

But hey, that's the post-modern capitalistic approach.  

Beats smacking the living daylights out of each other, which has been the norm for the last couple of thousand years.

Now if the rest of Europe is only prepared to bow to the British people's instinct to reign supreme, we'd get on like a house on fire...

... maybe that's the wrong metaphor to use.  

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2000, 12:21:00 AM »
Yes, it's a relative small group of english fans/hooligans that are causing the problems, but that small group is still bigger and more aggressive than any other country small group.
It's been fairly well documented, especially in tons of documentaries here in the UK!.
After virtually every single match where England looses at home, you can forget about going into the West End (I work there), as there will be people going on the rampage.
 No, they aren't doing the game of football any good and it that sense probably arent "true" supporters, but they're there.
Ignoring them, wont make them go away.

Daff

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2000, 10:22:00 AM »
Hehehehe...

Fun to watch the Euro's go after each other once in a while

Its kinda sad that we don't have a sport in the USA that we have such high regard for.

AKDejaVu

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2000, 10:28:00 AM »
I disagree, AkDejavu. I think the way that the Americans approach sport is the right way..as entertainment and not a lifestyle.
Here, football has become a religion.

Daff

------------------
CO, 56th Fighter Group
"This is Yardstick. Follow me"

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2000, 01:39:00 PM »
I don't know about that, Daff.  I'm a great fan of baseball, but it's sad to go to games these days.  Seems like most people go to the ballpark to either:
  • pickup women/men
  • get special freebies/collectibles
  • be where everyone else is at
  • see if they figure out in which hat the ball went(game on the big screen in between innings, so people don't get bored)
  • watch a guy in a cartoonish animal costume do smart animal tricks
I'd say one in ten actually watches the ballgame in Seattle.
ingame: Raz

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2000, 02:33:00 PM »
I agree Leonid.. very few sports fans these days.  Most just go because its "good entertainment".

AKDejaVu

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2000, 08:43:00 PM »
Well, the couple of baseball games I've seen in the US, the weather was windy, cold and rainy (In Candlestick park, so go figure) and people seemed to be there for the game .
OTOH, I'd rather they went there for all the reasons you listed above than going to beat eachother up  

Daff

------------------
CO, 56th Fighter Group
"This is Yardstick. Follow me"