Author Topic: Motion Sickness  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Monster0

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.vetgamer.com
Motion Sickness
« on: September 21, 2005, 02:10:30 PM »
After a 5-8 hour flight I would suffer from motion sickness for 2 days.  Shoot even a 45 min flight 2 vegas I would not feel well the rest of the day.  Since flying aceshigh I no longer suffer from motion sickness.  Even after a 8-10 hour flight I just took,  I only had an upset stomach for that day.  U just don't know how great it feels now 2 be able 2 fly without dealing w/motion sickness.  I believe its because I put myself in the pilot's position.  Acting like I'm the one thats flying the plane :>  Thxs HT.

I was wondering if anyone else notice the same thing?

Offline Whisky58

• Copper Member
Motion Sickness
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 03:38:14 PM »
That's interesting.  Motion sickness is thought to be caused by conflicting messages being sent to the brain from the eyes and vestibular organs, hence the advice to go outside & watch the horizon when onboard a ship.  I've got a friend who can't play flight sims because of it.  On flight sims the eyes are telling brain there's movement but vestibular organs saying no there isn't.  Sickness is usually worse when it's the otherway round tho' ie when indoors on a ship.
You get desensitised to motion sickness after a while - sailors get their "sea legs"
I wonder if you've desensitised yourself by using a flight sim?

(I reckon we should file a patent as a cure - we'll make a mint :D )
Whisky

Offline Enduro

• Silver Member
Motion Sickness
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 03:50:08 PM »
Don't listen to him, Monster.  AH2 healed you.  

All hail Dr. HiTech.  :rolleyes:
TBolt
Last edited by hitech on 09-08-2004 at 10:51 AM for flaming everone.

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
Motion Sickness
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 04:00:40 PM »
Maybe he just stopped vestibulation of his organ?

Balsy

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Motion Sickness
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 04:13:15 PM »
I've never gotten nauseas in AH, except for that one terrain where the clouds don't move when it looks like the ground does. Using my TrackIR made is 150% worse... I forget the name of the terrain tho.

On a side note, there is a well documented 'simulator psychosis' that effects people that spend a large amount of time in simulators. I'm sure some of us have experienced it when flying AH for a long period of time and then driving a car. For a brief moment, it doesn't feel 'right'.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Whisky58

• Copper Member
Motion Sickness
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 04:29:09 PM »
Originally posted by Balsy
Maybe he just stopped vestibulation of his organ?

Balsy

It's his organ, he can vestibulate it as fast as he likes.
Whisky

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
Motion Sickness
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 05:00:50 PM »
On a similar note about two years ago I suffered a severe bout of vertigo, for the first two weeks I could hardly get out of bed but then during the third week boredom took over and I ventured to the PC.
Take off was fine and all systems normal during climb out, on the first banked turn that was it, my head was spinning and it was off to the bedroom before I fell down. That wasn't my shortest flight, yes I have been vulched before, but it was definitely the most unpleasant.
I think it was another four weeks before I even tried to fly again but that time everything was ok as long as I kept my playing time to a minimum.

Offline SkyLab

• Copper Member
Motion Sickness
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 05:57:49 PM »
AH2 had a bad effect on my brother.

He was over the other night sitting in a chair next to me watching me fly. After a few minutes he had to get up because he suddenly felt like he was gonna throw up.

BTW he gets airsick in airplanes also.

Offline JB66

• Copper Member
      • http://members.fortunecity.com/ssbranni
Motion Sickness
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 11:43:02 PM »
I remember driving on J. Turner Butler in Jax. one morning as the sun was coming up.  The material in the new road surface was flashing and reflecting the sunlight.  I had to stop and throw up several times.  And no, I wasn't drunk or hung over.  
The first DOOM game made me feel sick also.  AH and AW never made me feel even slightly sick.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Motion Sickness
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005, 01:07:31 AM »
For some strange reason, I have sevre motion sickness if I even WATCH people play first-person shooters.... but totally OK with AH or other flight sims.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Motion Sickness
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2005, 02:46:12 AM »
Before flying flight sims(AW3,EAW,AH)...i always had a fear of heights..rollercoasters,driving up a mountainside road or going up in a cessna 172 as a passenger etc...now after years of seeing terrain comin at me,brushing the tops of trees at 400mph..i'm pretty much over it(except that looking over the edge of a building fear)...been talkin lately of going for my gliders license of all things..lol
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Motion Sickness
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 03:45:10 AM »
A friend of mine flies AH in a sort-of homebuilt cockpit (it's a scrapped gyrochopter), he uses a projector for the image, and a loud stereo set for the sound.
Anyway, he frequently has guests taking a ride, and some of them actually get sick!
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Whisky58

• Copper Member
Motion Sickness
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 06:57:56 AM »
Guys, this has got the makings of a PhD/MD research project.

All we need is university funding to pay us to play AH, drink beer & eat pizza daily for 3 months and record any sickness.

Also need control group to just sit around drinking beer & eating pizza.

Volunteers ?? :)
Whisky

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
Motion Sickness
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 07:59:18 AM »
I can't play games like DOOM, or other first person shooters - always get motion sickness, but never had any problems with AH or previously Air Warrior.
Always thought it was strange, figuring there seems to be a lot more motion of the eyes involved, but I have come to the conclusion that with games like Doom of half life, there is more jerky head movement and that is what causes it for me.

NwBie
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline Nuke33

• Copper Member
Motion Sickness
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 12:30:27 PM »
I was talking to my grandfather last weekend, about when he was in the war. He flew p-47's in Italy. He told me about a time where he was on a ship that got into a storm, and that absolutely everyone but the 45 fighter pilots on board were sick. I thought that was pretty interesting.