Author Topic: Turn Warnings On CVs  (Read 541 times)

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
Turn Warnings On CVs
« on: September 25, 2005, 01:10:28 PM »
There should be some kind of warning on CVs that tells pilots when the ship is turning and you might not want to try taking off. I don't know that I've ever seen the CV C.O. give a warning. Sometimes, if you look close enough, you can tell the fleet is turning but sometimes I have a hard time telling and off the side or into the superstructure I go.

I was thinking maybe a red light/ green light deal on the deck where red means the ship is turning and green is ok for take off. Not too unrealistic, I don't think, cause on real carriers they have crew that guide the pilots thru the takeoff and they'd be told when it's ok to TO.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Turn Warnings On CVs
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 01:13:32 PM »
IN the meantime, a couple tricks -- look out the back of the CV from tower, and if yuo see a curved wake then its turning. May be easier if you F3, but can do it from the tower too.

Also, if you drop flaps, turn off auto take off by hitting x, and use gentle rudder you can usually take off from any carrier.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Turn Warnings On CVs
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 04:22:01 PM »
It wouldn't be a big deal if the carrier didn't turn underneath the aircraft.

It's not modelled correctly.

We also shouldn't be able to add a little throttle and slide backwards on the carrier.
sand

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Turn Warnings On CVs
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 05:48:09 PM »
I dont know, Sandy.

I think its just an inertia thing -- if the ground under US was turning, it would feel like we were skidding off to the side as well.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Turn Warnings On CVs
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 07:55:32 PM »
Originally posted by Simaril
I dont know, Sandy.

I think its just an inertia thing -- if the ground under US was turning, it would feel like we were skidding off to the side as well.

It's not that strong.
sand

Offline A_Clown

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Good and Hard
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 01:07:39 PM »
I like the idea, but it would be difficult to add. Imagine a ship that is in fierce battle and turns repeatedly, the warning could get quite annoying. Much like "Base under attack".

I like it for landing- Nothing worse than having 2-3 kills and low fuel, in a short range fighter, come in to land or refuel(which is why I think HTC lets planes back up on CVs), and someone turns the ship as your landing. With no warning, can cause fatality. I've even seen it done on purpose. Someone turns ship as another is landing, Just to cause them to crash and lose their kills.( Man, what  great squad we had! TFC)

A_Clown