Author Topic: "near miss" heavy bombs give GVs pw's  (Read 2376 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
"near miss" heavy bombs give GVs pw's
« on: October 01, 2005, 06:48:19 PM »
in AH you can drop 4x 1k bombs around a tiger tank and not do squat to it. Which is totally retarded, because even 1x 500lb bomb would leave a crater larger than the tank itself.

If we can't change the way the all-or-nothing damage works, can we add a dimension where the concussive shock of nearby bombs gives the whole crew of a GV a pilot wound? Currently I don't think GVs have PWs. You lose a crew member and when you're out of crew you are dead. If they had blackouts like wounded pilots, that would make bombing more effective.

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 12:50:27 AM »
Apparently 1000 lb bombs were common as blades of grass
and often used tactically to kill vehicles :confused:
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 01:34:55 AM »
Well in real life a 250lb'er would kill any tank if it landed on it. In AH it's kinda bogus that you have to carpet bomb a square mile with a formation of lancasters and 14x1000 loadouts just to kill a single tigr.

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 01:50:33 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Well in real life a 250lb'er would kill any tank if it landed on it. In AH it's kinda bogus that you have to carpet bomb a square mile with a formation of lancasters and 14x1000 loadouts just to kill a single tigr.

If you hit tank with 250lb you will kill him surely. I did it myself more than once with 100kg from La5FN.
Killing tank with 1000lb'es is just plain easy.

P.S. I mean Panzers, may be Tiger is another story
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 10:08:02 AM »
Stuka also seemed to be a tank-killer

It has only 1 bomb which could actually do the trick though....1000 or 1800kg

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 11:59:58 AM »
ha, I can see it now. 1000lb bomb lands about 50ft from a gv, causing the gv to do a flip in the air and then lands on its tracks and whining from the bomber "WTF! THAT TANK DID A BACK FLIP AND LIVED!"

It does seem tigers are invulnerable to anything but 1000lb bombs, it is hard to get a direct hit, but 2 1000lb side by side seem to do the trick.

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 02:03:27 PM »
Did tanks actually flip due to a near-miss explosion in real life?

Offline nn76240

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 02:11:09 PM »
not to sure of the sorce  so maby some on e can help me out on this one but i recall a tank did flip but i doent think it was a tiger. i think a sherman or something. they even got it on film but like i said im not to ure if it realy happened.

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 02:36:57 PM »
I'm quite sure a heavy tank like the Tiger won't flip, a Sherman on the other hand...

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
Re: "near miss" heavy bombs give GVs pw's
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 03:33:39 PM »
in AH you can drop 4x 1k bombs around a tiger tank and not do squat to it.  

And what kind of fighter did you have on the deck to see the tiger and that carries 4000 lbs of bombs?   Or was it one of those realistic Lancaster flights on the deck after one tank.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2005, 04:05:53 PM »
lye-el, I never said it was 4k dropped at once. I took 3 sorties of a heavy fighter (I think it was a p51 with 2x1k eggs) and dropped 6 bombs. This was some time ago. 2 were total misses. 4 were nearly direct hits. And that was just ME. There were 3 other planes swarming the bastage and not ONE of us could kill him.

Tanks are BS in AH. It's a fact. Totally unrealistic in every regard.

Reality? Blow a tank up/over/kill crew

AH? Tank unharmed, continues moving around your town leveling it.

Reality? Tank hits another tank, doesn't knock it out, but blows a chunk of armor off of an area, if hit in that area again, most likely will break through.

AH? If AH code says your gun cannot kill this tank, you can fire 60 rounds into the same freaking spot and by the time you're out of ammo the tank is totally undamaged.

Reality? 50cal vs tanks is useless

AH? an M8 running circles around a tiger can shoot said tigers tracks off with 50cal fire.

Like I said, tanks in AH are BS.

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2005, 04:34:20 PM »
I have been saying this for a while... the bomb characteristics in the game are not the best and are way off. :furious  The reason I know this...I  deal with bombs on daily basis.  I am an AMMO troop in the USAF and to answer questions.  Yes a 250lb bomb would kill a tank, the tanks would 'flip' but they would be swiss cheese and all you should need would be a 250lb bomb to kill any gv!  A 1000lb bomb has 535lbs of Tritonal/Explosives in it and will cause a blast damage effective up to 192 feet (frag).  It will make a crater roughly 40 feet in diameter and about 8-10 deep....they make a big hole!  So, if you drop a 1k egg within 39' 11" of a Tiger and it lives....you just got screwed.  Someday I am sure HTC will get to the bombs and rocket damage...not sure, I just go grab more eggs.  :noid
Why have a full crew in a tank, you don't get a full crew in a bomber?  If you get a wound... your wounded!!
The GV's in the game are jacked as well.  You hit a guy 4 times in the turrent and nothing happens. He hits you once and your dead.  Don't tell me the angles and all that crap so that much in the game!!  I have adjusted my shots and it is crap.  My personal favorite is having 3 or 4 guys hitting a Flak or Panzer with .50 cal and 20mm until they are out of ammo and the guy is still shooting away and ends up landing a 4 kill hop or some crap! :furious
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 01:11:56 AM »
Once again.

In reality 50-100kg bombs virtually useless against medium and heavy tanks. It need only direct hit to take such tank out of service. Very close miss (1-2m) can only slightly damage it. Light tanks can be destroyed by 100kg bomb if it explode in about 5m from tank. Very close miss will flip light tank (real fact: russian light tank T-70 was flip by 50 or 100kg boms that exploded in 0.5m)
Generally heavy HE bomb can destroy medium or heavy tank within crater radius.

And dont say about how deadly blast wave for tank crew, please. Its just ridiculous.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 06:39:08 AM »
I like this...............

For sure a local bomb strike should take the pintle gun out...........particularly if it was manned at the time.

Some concussion wounding  would be appropriate even if it was only a temporary black out.

and I concurr 2 x 100Kg will kill an AH Panzer/T34.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 02:33:56 PM »
lye-el, I never said it was 4k dropped at once. I took 3 sorties of a heavy fighter (I think it was a p51 with 2x1k eggs) and dropped 6 bombs. This was some time ago. 2 were total misses. 4 were nearly direct hits. And that was just ME. There were 3 other planes swarming the bastage and not ONE of us could kill him.

I dropped on a tiger from a 190 four days ago. *BOOM*

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs