Author Topic: new joystick  (Read 1075 times)

Offline v1st

• Copper Member
new joystick
« on: October 02, 2005, 11:56:42 AM »
I am looking for a new joy stick to replace my force feed back.  money isn't a problem just not knowing what to buy is.  i have ch pro pedals. if that means anything. please help

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
new joystick
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 12:02:48 PM »
What are you looking for?

Force Feedback or not?

HOTAS (hands on throttle and stick = separate throttle and stick)?

Something like a MS Sidewinder Precission Pro?

Saitek X52 has gotten alot of good comments, one of the cheapest HOTAS systems, some like it alot and there are some (quite few) who don't like it at all.

I am using a HOTAS Cougar. Quite a bit more expensive but you said money is not an issue.

Then there is CH setup, HOTAS where you buy a Pro Throttle and a stick of your choice, usually Combatstick.

As for non HOTAS systems, The Sidewinder is a good choice if you can find one on ebay. Cyborg EVO I don't know much about but some like it I know.

Let me know what exactly you are looking for.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
new joystick
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 12:59:21 PM »
CH
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
new joystick
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 01:17:08 PM »
MSS :aok

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
new joystick
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 01:28:32 PM »
TM

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
new joystick
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 01:32:11 PM »
A vote for the Saitek series - recently I sent my X-45 into be fixed because the upper left view hat on the Joystick would stick Once in a while.  THis was the only problem that I'd had with it in over a year and a half of continious use.
Saitek did not fix the problem - they sent me a brand new stick! (stick and throttle)  Talk about great service - turn around time was just over a week.  Since I had just bought a re-furbished one to use while this one was in the shop, I'm now set up for quite awhile - the RF one works like new, and I have a brand new one waiting for if/when the RF one starts to wear out.
I know some people don't like the Saitek, but to me it's the best buy out there for a HOTAS set-up, and they have great customer service.  I use mine with CH Pro rudder pedals.  I would be great if Saitek made a set of rudder pedals to go with their sticks.....

Offline x0847Marine

• Silver Member
new joystick
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 01:52:57 PM »
The Saitek cust service is outstanding, they've sent me two free replacement parts no questions asked.

Saved me from having to go to Frys and unscrew said part from a demo.

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
new joystick
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 01:53:30 PM »
Originally posted by Roscoroo
CH

I agree,

i crashed 2 computer desks and 2-3 keybords in last 2 years with my "lumberjack" hands but CHfightersick still works fine
Viva CH !:)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
new joystick
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 01:54:16 PM »
Originally posted by x0847Marine
The Saitek cust service is outstanding, they've sent me two free replacement parts no questions asked.

Thats because they know their product is a piece of junk that is not worth the box they package it in.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
new joystick
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 02:05:39 PM »
Originally posted by Furball
Thats because they know their product is a piece of junk that is not worth the box they package it in.

Absolutely! 4 X-45's in 2 years. If you ever open one up it'll scare you. Looks like a 5 yr old built it.:furious

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
new joystick
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2005, 02:22:16 PM »
Buying anything but CH is wasting money that could be saved until you can afford CH.

Yes CH is expensive. Yes it is worth it.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
new joystick
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2005, 02:34:42 PM »
My CH USB Pro Pedals spiked right out of the box. Support sucks if you are in Europe. They just tell me to "buy new pots". That was when the pedals were 2 weeks old.

So basicly I have to use a pair of brand new pedals that spike untill I can get new pots (which I have to pay for).

I've heard alot of good things about CH support, non of it is true for me, maybe it is because I am in Europe.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
new joystick
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2005, 02:46:21 PM »
Willbus I don't know if it will change anything but you can try the pedal pluged throught a powered hub.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
new joystick
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2005, 02:56:29 PM »
Rgr don't think it will help...

The problem lies in the pot as far as I can see.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
new joystick
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2005, 03:54:18 PM »
I use a Cougar HOTAS and wouldn't trade it for any other stick out there.  The Cougar out of the box is not as good as it could be for the price, but it has the potential to be the ultimate set-up.  

If you don't trust customer service and prefer to do your own repairs then this stick is for you.  There is a strong community out there for the Cougar and modification packages (enhanced gimbals, optical pots, etc.)  that you can purchase  in increments.  

Both throttle and stick are metal, including all the buttons, and should last a life time (even if TM ceased to exist you could go to a machine shop and have the part manufactured).  I also like that my old gameport rudder pedals hook-up through the stick and become USB avoiding alot of the old spiking problems.   :aok

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills