Author Topic: new joystick  (Read 1077 times)

Offline v1st

• Copper Member
new joystick
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2005, 06:37:38 PM »
if i do pick ch is there stick that is better for this game.  i only fly aces so just need it for here.  
I didn't mention it before but looking for a stick because of wife ack.  she got mad i was flying and cut my usb cable.   i got them spliced now but don't know how long it going to  last.
yes she decided wrong thing to do i won't mention what i did.:)

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
new joystick
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2005, 08:18:06 PM »
Originally posted by Grits
Buying anything but CH is wasting money that could be saved until you can afford CH.

Yes CH is expensive. Yes it is worth it.

What he said, Although I do have a Cougar I will sell you:D

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
new joystick
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2005, 08:43:17 PM »
Originally posted by Wilbus
So basicly I have to use a pair of brand new pedals that spike untill I can get new pots (which I have to pay for).

FYI, Cubpilot on Cougar World has info on his web site to convert the USB pedals to a JS connection so they can be ran into the Cougar.  I use 10 year old CH pedals that spike like a railroad crew.  The pedals work much better when they are controled by the Cougar.

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline MOIL

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ltar.org
new joystick
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2005, 10:01:30 PM »
I've never had a single prob with my setup. Calibration is a snap and cleaning only takes one wet-wipe & a tissue.

Offline MIShill

• Copper Member
new joystick
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2005, 10:51:51 PM »
I have used CH Combatstick, throttle & pedals,in both AW in the 90's & USB now & love the setup. The control manager gives you great variability in hat & button programming. It's the only thing that lets a dweeb like me ever get the occassional kill.

-MI- {Shillelagh}

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
new joystick
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2005, 11:32:51 PM »
As far as I have been able to tell the negitive comments about Saitek are greatly exagerated.

I have a Cyborg 3d gold that I have used for around 2 years and still works perfecty and I have it hooked up on my wifes/HTRmama's comp now that I have my X52.
  I have had my X52 sience they came out and have had no problems with it at all other than you gotta keep the shaft real clean so it don't stick but thats not a big deal. the only other problem is that I have used them both so much that the silver paint is wearing off where my hands make contact. :)  
   Though it took me about a month to really get used to the X52. It's real touchy (guessing that has something to do with the optical stick) so you need a steady hand and be smooth with your actions (I do best after a drink) don't yank this thing, it will do exactly what your hand tells it to do and it does have a long throw on it and some people seem to have a problem with this.

So far I feel it was woth the $140 I spent but you may not, my brothers wife got him one for christmas and he don't like it at all so I use it when I take my comp to his house to play AH togeather.

He prefers his Thrustmaster fox 2 pro. It looks kinda cheep and only costs $30 but he has had it for a year and still works great though it dosn't have enough buttons for my taste I would recomend it for the price if you want a cheep stick but what ever you do STAY AWAY FROM LOGITEC!!!!!!!  BAD!!! VERRRRRY BAD STICK!!! My rudder died in 2 months... thats when I got the cyborg.
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
new joystick
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2005, 12:11:44 AM »
Thanks GunnrCAF but that won't help against the spiking either, it would help if they were already gameport pedals but these ones spike decpite being USB.

I will just need to get a new pot.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
new joystick
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2005, 02:14:14 AM »
Originally posted by Flayed1
As far as I have been able to tell the negitive comments about Saitek are greatly exagerated.

Learn you will young Jedi:eek:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 02:17:42 AM by Bear76 »

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
new joystick
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2005, 03:46:52 AM »
Originally posted by Bear76
Learn you will young Jedi:eek:

Well around 3 years flying with Saitek and not problem 1. So great jedi master you must not have the force flowing through you as strongly as you think, or you are on the dark side.

I would say the X52 is a significant upgrade from the 45.... but like I said thats just my opinnion....

BTW what was the date the X52 came out on the store shelvs anyway I cant remember. I went to buy one and they had to order one in because they were all sold out.... :)   Seriouse question.
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
new joystick
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2005, 10:01:03 AM »
Have ran an X52 since they came out previously had an X45 for a couple of years. Both with CH propedals.

The X52 incurred a large dead band on the x/y axis and the throttle rotary mouse wheel was lost in one direction. Saitek fixed both and since then its been OK.

I have stiffened the JS spring a bit to give more feel. (which is wierd because the X45 always felt too stiff)

It was not until I loaded XP that AH could recognise all the rotaries.

CH & TM service in the UK is really only suited for DIY enthusiasts
Ludere Vincere

Offline ThunderEGG

• Copper Member
new joystick
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2005, 10:30:04 AM »
1) Have a Saitek X-52.  Don't care to fly it, but highly reliable.
2) Have a Saitek EVO.  Reliable, although I broke the trigger mechanism.
3) Have two LogiCRAP sticks.  Don't ask.:furious
4)  Currently using a Thrustmaster Top Gun Fox 2 Pro I've had for a year.  Highly reliable, no mechanical problems.

PS:  LogiCRAP headsets are not much better, IMO.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
new joystick
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2005, 10:45:19 AM »
OK, don't seam to be able to get a "what I want" kind of response so will just post some of my experiences.

The first stick I ever owned was a CH Flight Stick (not pro, the normal one with two buttons). I used it for Red Baron and Aces Over Europe and the likes. It started spiking quite fast (which gives me another "bad experience" with CH).

After that I had a Saitek Cyborg 3D. It started spiking real fast, twist became lose and the stick was taken out of use.

I then found the Holy Grale amongst joysticks (bellow 200 dollars atleast and in some cases even against the 200+ dollar stick), I bought it in a store, the last one they had. It was a gameport stick but came with a USB converter, the stick was called "Microsoft Sidewinder Precission Pro 1". Now I am not the greatest fan of MS products or MS at all (stupid Xbox POS idea) but this is one product that beats every other competitor when it comes to "bang for buck". I could've easily payed 100 dollars and still considered it a good "bang for buck".

The Joystick never ever spiked, always precise, it really lived up to its name. I used it for well over 5 years (6 or 7 even) untill the hat finally became sticky and hard to use (to check 6 specially).

I checked AH time online (not counting Warbirds, Dawn of Aces, Fighter Ops and, Warbirds and Dawn of Aces H2H). The time I used that joystick was well above 2000 (!!!!!!) hours. Now, imagine how many times you spin a hat around in 2000 hours of fighting and you will easily see why the hat became a bit sticky and worn out.

My Brother is using the same joystick, bought a while after I did and used quite a bit less but it too is still alive after more then 5 years now. (some of those years in storage).

This is IMO THE best stick ever created and I know most (although not all) people will agree with me. I think Ghosth amongst others is still using it and love it. Not to mention that you can afford 5-10 of these compared to one CH or TM HOTAS.

I then used a Logitech (Logicrap) Wireless stick. The Hat broke down after a month so I got a new one, that hat was different and worked nicely (obviously they had discovered a design flaw) but I didn't like the fact that it went down in to "save mode" after 2 minutes of inactivity, this caused the stick to become uncalibirated after some "auto pilot climbouts" which got me killed.

After that I used a TM Top Gun Fox 2 Pro (I think) which worked well although I never grew to like it as I did the Sidewinder.

I now use a TM HOTAS Cougar and like it ALOT even though I have not modded it with any expensive 3:d party mods (not needed although many people say it is great to do so, of course, one needs another 400+ dollars to do so).

What I like most about the Cougar is all the buttons, this is the first stick that has allowed me to totally get rid of the keyboard (cept for typing) which means I can give full attention to the fight.

I also used a Saitek X36 for a while but calibiration problems and the fact that it was too big for me forced me to hand it back after 2 weeks.

If I ever get the chance I really wanna try the X52.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
new joystick
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2005, 11:00:07 AM »
Just avoid Gravis. They have crappy centering and spike like hell. Then just avoid Logitech for obvious reasons (they're not even suited to be a paperweight).

Aside from that I can't help on Saitek or TM or CH -- never had any. This MS Sidewinder gameport works for me. I just wish it had more buttons on it

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
new joystick
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2005, 05:15:41 PM »
I have used CH sticks for the past 15 years of on-line flying and love them.  I've owned many (a couple at home, a couple at work, a couple bought by folks I gamed with) and have had good reliability.  The first one I bought for AW in the early 90's and used it for about 10 years without trouble.  I replaced it with a USB version.  I specifically use the CH Flightstick -- don't know if that has any bearing on my results with reliability.

I've also used CH pedals for the past 5-10 years with the same good results.  Also, like with the sticks, I've recommended them to others who have purchased them and had good results.

I like the reliability and also the flight feel of the CH sticks and pedals.

I've never had any spiking problems except those caused by Windows or game-port-card drivers, which I could tell was not the stick's fault by other testing.

I did once have one of my CH sticks cease to function after some years of use and then some years of sitting in the equipment pile in the closet (my time between Air Warrior and Aces High).  The computer stopped recognizing it when plugged into the USB port -- but that is one out of about six that I've purchased and used at home and for various folks at work over many years of use.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 05:25:36 PM by Brooke »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
new joystick
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2005, 05:24:50 PM »
Wilbus, a few things.

1.  Are you sure the spiking is the pedals and not Windows, the driver Windows is using, or the calibration?  Can you give more details on what you mean by "spiking"?  I've noted that, if I calibrate the pedals in Windows, the result is pedals that are almost binary in effect (i.e., they go from zero to full without much in between).  If I leave them uncalibrated in Windows, they work fine in AH.

2.  Just in case you got a crappy tech support person, did you ask to speak to the person's manager and explain to the manager that (1) the pedals are only 2 weeks old and thus should be in warranty and (2) that a user replacing potentiometers inside the device is an unworkable service solution not only due to that being outside the scope of what most users can do but also due to the fact that opening up the device might void the warranty?

3.  I have a pair of CH Pro Pedals that work with a game port.  I don't use them anymore because all the computers I play on have USB now.  They are just sitting around for spare parts, but I've had my current CH Pro USB Pedals for years of use with no trouble.  If you get no traction with 1 or 2 above, e-mail me your name and address, and I will ship to you my spare pedals.  You can take the guts out and put it into your USB pedals.  My e-mail address is "brooke at electraforge.com".