Author Topic: Bf-109K vs Spitfire F. Mk XIV: lopsided match or equal?  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Bf-109K vs Spitfire F. Mk XIV: lopsided match or equal?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2005, 06:40:18 PM »
Originally posted by 1K3
u sure about that? only a handfull of +21s had one for spit 14

EDIT: since u got more inside info on HTC, will 109K also get 1.98 ata boost?

Don't know about the 109K, but as no-one yet has conclusively proved the 109k was boosted to 1.98ata, or for that matter recieved the C3 fuel required (see various threads) I would hope not.
I will preempt Kurfurst here - He has shown it was ordered/proposed to convert 3 units March 20 1945. Whether it happened, no-one knows. As of yet he has posted no record of any conversion happeneng.

If it does, then it should be perked same as the Spit XIV.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 06:43:46 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2005, 07:16:56 PM »
id take the spit at 25k hands down..however good luck gettin oponent to engage at that alt longer than 1 pass. the difference in AH is that there alot more good stick 109 pilots because they know a litte more in most cases about acm's. Equal pilots and the spit wins imo

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2005, 07:33:11 PM »
I'd say its about an even fight, maybe the Spit is a little better.  

I don't think the Spit deserves to be perked, actually.  And yes, I have flown it... had a couple hundred kills in it if you go by the lifetime stats page (which I think it gone now, shame...)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2005, 08:39:49 PM »
Well, one thing is that it is nigh impossible for normal or casual pilots to make the Spit XIV their ride and learn it in detail due to the perk price.  Whenever I fly it I am always a Mossie or Ki-84 pilot moonlighting as a Spit XIV pilot.  It takes time to get a handle of a fighter, particularly one like the Spit XIV that is work intensive for the pilot.  It still feels like the Spit XIV has more potential to me.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2005, 11:12:07 PM »
I suppose it could be difficult... but even when it was priced at say 60 points, someone who really wanted to get some time in it could.  Flying a plane with an ENY of 40 or up practically guarantees you 8-10 perk points a sortie if you can kill a couple guys before you die.  If you figure most people play for an hour or so a day (thats actually probably close, in spite of the super inflated hours some people put up), that'd be 16-20 perk points a day at minimum... and that'd be for someone who only killed 4 planes an hour.  

I liked it a pretty fair amount... the guns are great, and the performance isn't anything to sneeze at even without WEP.  The plane isn't going to turn like a Spit 5 or a Ki-84, but it'll out-turn most of the '45 rockets.  I still don't really feel the perking is justified, but maybe AH will get a Spit in between our current Spit 9 and the Spit 14.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2005, 11:17:59 PM »
If current plans prevail, we will get a XVI, which will have lower-altitude based power curves (LF engine, I think?). Not sure if that's "between" or "next to" the spit14.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2005, 11:24:45 PM »
It's called the Spit 16, but it's more inbetween the Spit 9 and the Spit 14.  It's been debated, but it looks to be like the La7.  Borderline perk worthy.

But it's not that hard to make the Spit 14 a standard ride, especially now.  Only 16 perks?  As long as you are a little bit cautious to begin with, it'll be easy to pick up the further you go.

I see it like the La7.  If people really learn how to fly it it, the perk price would go back up.  I thought the perk price was fair for it.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2005, 11:31:55 PM »
There's really no contest. The only thing the G10 has against most planes is that it can kill in one hit (IF you can hit with the 30mm, or IF you take 3x20mm which makes you fly worse) and can usually rope or zoom or fight in the vertical.

Well, the Spit14 climbs as good as the G10. It zooms as good or better. It plays the vertical game better than the G10 because on top of all of that it can turn better than the G10 any day of the week and three ways from Sunday, and any single ping with the hizookas is a disable/kill.

So basically the G10 has no advantages and has some major deficiencies against the spit14.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2005, 03:07:29 AM »
Originally posted by Karnak
Explain why?  The Spit XIV holds almost all the cards.  Anything the Bf109G-10 can do, the Spit XIV can do as well or better.

It seems to me that you guys are just saying "My ride is better because I like it." without giving any reasons why it is better.  What does the Bf109G-10 use to beat the Spit XIV "once it gets down and dirty?"  I ask because my experiences are very different.  Once it gets down and dirty the Bf109G-10 is in deep trouble as it has no moves that cannot be easily done by the Spitfire.  Turning?  Who cares about the slats, the Mk XIV will out turn the 109G-10 either way.  Acceleration?  Practically the same once mixed up.  Climb?  Can't get much closer than that.  Roll rate, well, the Spit has this one hands down. Speed?  Good luck living long enough to start pulling away of you go straight in your 109.  Firepower?  More than enough to kill the other in both cases, but the Spit's has better ballistics.  Visibility?  The Spitfire's is better.

What does the 109 do to so easily assure itself of victory?

First off the 109 has never been my ride, i fly it in the CT sometimes but i like its roll fighting and stall fighting characteristics alot.

The spit 14 is similar, just with more accuracy and fewer rounds.

the spit has one flap setting, which gives no variable speeds for flaps. either in or out. this is the main problem (imo) with the spit14 and its poor stability issues. almost a total lack of respect for combat flaps which were very well understood at the time of the spit14's production.

your statement; '  I ask because my experiences are very different.  Once it gets down and dirty the Bf109G-10 is in deep trouble as it has no moves that cannot be easily done by the Spitfire. ' is clearly a reality for the MA, but you rarely come up against an equally skilled pilot in a 109 when you're flying a spit14, I imagine.

'Turning?  Who cares about the slats, the Mk XIV will out turn the 109G-10 either way'

once again in a setup 1 on 1 fight in the DA things will go very differently than you imagine. you cannot base your aircraft values on MA usage alone.

you are correct that the spit is just.....better...., but with an experienced spit pilot vs an equally experienced 109 pilot the fights would certainly be 50 - 50 wins if not 60-70% in the 109's favour.

earlier models, say 109e vs spit1 would be similar

the only place, IMO only of course, where the aces high spitfires shine over the aces high 109s is in the mkV and IX.

100 fights between any 109 and the 9 or 5 would almost certainly end up 80% spits favour with equally experienced pilots.

the spit1 and 14 have weakness that the 109 doesnt, in firepower and engine-mk1- and flap tech and stability-mk14-

just my opinion remember.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 03:28:33 AM by mechanic »
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2005, 08:10:01 AM »
Stability?  I've had no problems with this in the Spit 14.  Though, I haven't flown the 109g much, I did always have big problems down around stall speeds.

Krusty is right.  The only advantage that the 109g has are the snapshots if you take the 30mm.  Any spit 14 would have an easy time if they just kept away from the nose of the 109.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2005, 11:19:52 AM »
Mechanic, I know what you mean by the instability, but I disagree as to why.

Flaps would not help it. It's more of a center of gravity thing. HTC coded it in (heck if we know why) when in fact the 14 was supposed to fly and turn very much like a 5 did. But we couldn't have that, now could we? That'd be too uber, (no sarcasm intended, I'm serious).

Flaps have nothing to do with spits. They have nothing to do with most fighters. Yes there is evidence that they were used, but if you count the number of sorties, the number of combats, the number of pilots that claim to use flaps (and only 5-10 degress, not full freakin' flaps like AH has) you will find, no doubt, that out of the thousands and thousands and tens of thousands of combat reports, only a small number of pilots and a VERY small percentage used combat flaps.

PS don't forget the spit has split flaps. No way they are going to help you turn better, and they should instantly slow you down by 20mph the second you use them, just due to the split design. Air flow does not move over them as it does drop flaps and fowler flaps. While there is some proof that US pilots used their (different) flaps once in a while, I've never heard ANY tales of RAF pilots using them, ever. :P [correct me if I'm wrong]

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2005, 11:22:05 AM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
It's called the Spit 16, but it's more inbetween the Spit 9 and the Spit 14.  It's been debated, but it looks to be like the La7.  Borderline perk worthy.

But it's not that hard to make the Spit 14 a standard ride, especially now.  Only 16 perks?  As long as you are a little bit cautious to begin with, it'll be easy to pick up the further you go.

I see it like the La7.  If people really learn how to fly it it, the perk price would go back up.  I thought the perk price was fair for it.

Thats the BIG problem, people misunderstand the XVI.
It's EXACTLY the same as a 1943 Spit LF IX. Only diff is the engine was a Packard built Merlin 266 as opposed to a Rolls Royce built Merlin 66.
Same power, same everything, still sub 400mph at any alt straight and level, so how you can say it's like the La7 is beyond me.
Borderline perk worthy- In which freaking universe?

It's the mass perk the Ki-84 / P-47N panic frenzy all over again , lol.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 11:25:42 AM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2005, 11:28:48 AM »
FWIW, I think the Spit 14 pretty well owns the G-10.  The big surprise to me was finding that the Ki-84 pretty well owns the Spit 14.

- oldman

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2005, 11:32:44 AM »
Kev  clear your PM's please

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2005, 06:10:35 PM »
Originally posted by 1K3
Spit 14 is nowhere close to 109K, La-7, P-51, and 190D in acceleration.

overall spit 14 flies like 109K in full wep power and when WEP runs out it has the same speed as 109G-2/G-6.

Acceleration at sea level, from 200 mph to 300 mph, measured in seconds. All aircraft at 50% fuel:

Tempest: 27.16 seconds
F4U-4: 28.57 seconds
Spitfire XIV: 28.72 seconds
La-7: 28.78 seconds
109G-10: 28.97 seconds

Looks like the Spit XIV is not just close, but accelerates slightly faster than the G-10.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.