Author Topic: SHOWA L2D (DC-3 "Dakota")  (Read 3000 times)

Offline Scrap

• Silver Member
SHOWA L2D (DC-3 "Dakota")
« on: October 07, 2005, 12:13:42 PM »
SHOWA L2D (DC-3 "Dakota") from Tochy's page...

Would be a neat addition to our Goonie skins.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 12:51:08 PM »
Both the Russians and Japanese had copies of the DC3 so it wouldn't be far fetched to skin some of them

I think the Japanese version was called the Tabby, while the DC2 copy was the Tess.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 01:23:28 PM »
HTC says no "captured" skins... even if they're copies I think they're under that category. Maybe a Chinese skin, as we were allies with them.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 01:43:09 PM »
The Soviets manufactured around 2,000 DC-3s under license as the Lisunov Li-2, while the Japanese built another 485 as the Showa L2D. There were only trivial external differences, so there should be OK to skin either variant.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 03:44:57 PM »
Yeah, but the Soviets added a .50 turret on the top of theirs >:P

I'd LOVE to have that variant!!!

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 04:05:11 PM »
Thier not capured skins Japanese and Russians bought and made them.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 10:26:31 PM »
Still, for the most part it's a US plane in enemy paint scheme. I don't think HTC will allow it. Go ahead and ask 'em, though. Would be good to have a final say on the matter.

Japs might be able to copy things (jets specifically) but they had piss-poor engine copying. They would always put their own engines in. That would make it a different plane with different performance. The Soviet version, however, was most likely a C47 repainted (and some with a turret added)

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 11:31:08 PM »
I found agerman 163 painted in Japanese colors and asked him if I could do it he said if I could find out what squad in flew in yea, but it didnt think the same would go for that DC-3.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 11:45:33 PM by Larry »
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005, 01:24:31 AM »
Japs were planning on it, and a 262 clone, but they were not identical, and they did not serve operationally (from what I understand)

Offline Scrap

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2005, 10:54:03 AM »
Shut up Krusty, quit whining and think about it :D .

....is it really hard to believe that a CIVILIAN plane was not distributed/built all over the world???  :rolleyes:

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2005, 12:10:48 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Still, for the most part it's a US plane in enemy paint scheme. I don't think HTC will allow it. Go ahead and ask 'em, though. Would be good to have a final say on the matter.

Pyro himself suggested if someone would do the Tabby.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2005, 01:05:18 PM »
Originally posted by Scrap
Shut up Krusty, quit whining and think about it :D .

....is it really hard to believe that a CIVILIAN plane was not distributed/built all over the world???  :rolleyes:

Scraps, my previous comment was on the 163 and 262 clones the Japanese were working on, not the C47s. Sorry for the confusion.

Offline Scrap

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2005, 01:07:30 PM »
Awwwwhhhhsooooo!   meee sooooo sowwwwry kimosabi!  :D

:p

Offline SELECTOR

• Gold Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2005, 02:56:09 PM »
for the most part krusty i find your posts a good read....but you standpoint on this one is a little off kilter... your comment that c47 is mainly a american plane is not quite true.. all the allied nations used it..and to follow your comment through to conclusion what your saying is if its american just US skins, if its BRIT just brit skins and so on and so on...

my thoughts on the matter is if it took part in any way during the war then let it in.. history is so interesting and if people find info on aircraft they have reserched then im all for it.. i for one didn't know the japs used a c47, so im richer for the info..:aok

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2005, 03:21:26 PM »
Originally posted by SELECTOR
i for one didn't know the japs used a c47, so im richer for the info..:aok

I remember hearing a story about the gunners on an AAC bomber early in the war (I think a B-17) claiming a kill of a Japanese C-47, but I can't seem to find the reference now. Probably one of the books or magazines that I hadn't read in so long that I sold it off on e-bay. :)

I know that in one of WEB Griffins "The Corps" novels, I think 'Counterattack' (which I read long after I saw the original story on the kill), the crew of a B-17 are debating shooting at a C-47 they run into out in the middle of nowhere because they can't understand what an American cargo plane would be doing out there, but the Japanese Army was known to use a copy of the DC-3. Turns out that the Goon they ran into was a Marine R4D on a fictional mission that he made up for his story, but almost everything that takes place in his books is well researched and based closely on fact, so its probably a safe bet that he is referring to a real incident.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.