Author Topic: SHOWA L2D (DC-3 "Dakota")  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
SHOWA L2D (DC-3 "Dakota")
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2005, 03:28:35 PM »
Originally posted by SELECTOR
your comment that c47 is mainly a american plane is not quite true.. all the allied nations used it..and to follow your comment through to conclusion what your saying is if its american just US skins, if its BRIT just brit skins and so on and so on...

I hope I didn't imply that. That's not my thinking on the matter. I simply remember discussions of other planes. There was a German P38 skin somebody wanted to do. There was a Fw190D in VVS markings somebody wanted to do (that one was even used in combat against the LW!!) but these skins were not allowed. HTC said "No captured skins". So what I was saying is that if you tried skinning the Japanese DC-3 there's a chance that HTC might not allow it. It seems that this was untrue, as somebody mentioned Skuzzy made a comment about it too.

Hope that's cleared up :aok

Offline SELECTOR

• Gold Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2005, 03:30:27 PM »
ok then maybe the powers that be should come   and say exactly what is and what isn't allowed

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2005, 03:32:16 PM »
I think that's the point of this thread, to see if one of them will bestow upon us a glimmer of approval (or not) :)

EDIT:

Originally posted by Wmaker
Pyro himself suggested if someone would do the Tabby.

But if that's true (which I didn't know about when I originally replied) then HTC would allow it. So with that info, looks like I was wrong. (Hey, I admit it)

Offline JB42

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2005, 06:30:36 PM »
Don't we have a RAF Ju-88 and a Finnish Hurricane?
" The only thing upping from the CV are lifejackets." - JB15

" Does this Pony make my butt look fat?" - JB11

" I'd rather shoot down 1 Spit in a 109 than 10 109s in a Spit." - JB42

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2005, 06:34:48 PM »
... good point ...
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2005, 10:09:32 PM »
Originally posted by JB42
Don't we have a RAF Ju-88 and a Finnish Hurricane?

No we have a "Free French" Ju88. Big difference. These were not captured. The French had them and just pressed them into service, after they were "liberated".

The Hurricane in Finnish markings was not captured either. The Fins bought some Hurricanes (or were given some) if I recall, and owned them properly.

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2005, 11:26:43 PM »
I didn't even know the Finns flew Hurris. Or at least ones that weren't captured from the Russians, always assumed thats where they came from.

Between all the Allied countries that flew them, and the Finns, and the Romanians, (plus the neutral Turks) that was one common aircraft!

Maybe only the P-40 flew in as many colors?
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2005, 12:18:28 AM »
The 109 (all variants) the hurricane, the p40, these are some of the most widely exported fighters in history. They served in many many different nations. The p40 because of the almost unique development of fighter aircraft in the US. The Hurricane because it was around early and made an impression and was exported. The 109 because it also was early and the Germans exported it to allied/nearby countries.

Off the top of my head I can't think of another that's as widely distributed as these three, but I know there are more.

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2005, 01:35:09 AM »
like kids, like kids

for AH1 we had russian and JPN version of skin for c47
i dontr see a reason to not have it again
anyway we not gonna have Li2 or tabby, so what a heck? why not?
but make sure british and american D-Day skin is there allready

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2005, 06:36:31 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
The 109 (all variants) the hurricane, the p40, these are some of the most widely exported fighters in history. They served in many many different nations. The p40 because of the almost unique development of fighter aircraft in the US. The Hurricane because it was around early and made an impression and was exported. The 109 because it also was early and the Germans exported it to allied/nearby countries.

Off the top of my head I can't think of another that's as widely distributed as these three, but I know there are more.

I think the P-39 served in virtually every theater of WWII - from the NW Europe (very briefly) to North Africa and the Med, SW Pacific, Central Pacific (Gilbert Islands?) and the Eastern Front.    

The Brewster Buffalo served in the RAF, the USMC, the Dutch AF, and the Finnish AF.    It flew in defense of Singapore, Midway, Indonesia, and Finland.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2005, 11:48:12 AM »
While they "tried" the P-39 in almost every theater, it was almost as quickly withdrawn from almost every theater as well, due to unsuitable performance. I'd say the only places it actually had a home in was N Africa and Russia.

The USN and RAF both found the Brewster totally unsuited for combat. The RAF dumped all theirs on their east indies colonies, so those are the same ones defending malaysia, etc. Not that many Brewsters were made. They served in a lot of areas, but many of them were the same planes passed around because nobody wanted them.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2005, 12:51:27 PM »
I have pics of P-39Qs used in the Gilberts in 1943, so I'd guess it saw a something over a years' worth of service in the Pacific, possibly up to two. But even so, a fighter that saw combat in multiple theaters for more than a year is a fairly significant piece of work.    The P-39Qs top speed is 386 mph at 9,500 ft, which is not a complete embarrassment.   With  4x50s and a 37mm cannon -- it might be an interesting addition to AH.

The Finns loved the Brewster, and in their hands it produced more aces per airframe than the P-51 Mustang did in ours.   How, I have no idea.  Well, some idea -- must've had a lot to do with the relative training and tactics used by the Finns vs the Soviets and the statistcally small number of Brewsters actually used.

The Brewster would have a number of skinning choices, for sure.  Same goes for the P-39...but, s'all good.

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2005, 02:11:42 PM »
Originally posted by oboe
The Finns loved the Brewster, and in their hands it produced more aces per airframe than the P-51 Mustang did in ours.   How, I have no idea.  Well, some idea -- must've had a lot to do with the relative training and tactics used by the Finns vs the Soviets and the statistcally small number of Brewsters actually used.

Don't forget "Good Morale and Highly Motivated as opposed to Badly Trained and for the most part Ill Equipped"

What was it Hartmann said, 1 kill against the British and Americans was as good as 5 against the Soviets?

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2005, 04:26:05 PM »
In the first couple of years, perhaps. But there was a late-war quote about being safer when being chased by US mustangs than by Soviet fighters, because the Mustangs were so inexperienced they'd get in each other's way all scrambling for the kill (LMAO what does that sound like to you? MA anyone? :P). So later on they got better.

Offline JB42

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2005, 06:42:35 PM »
That's my point Krusty. If the planes I mentioned are ok, then a purchased and repainted C47 for the Japanese should be allowed. Russian as well.
" The only thing upping from the CV are lifejackets." - JB15

" Does this Pony make my butt look fat?" - JB11

" I'd rather shoot down 1 Spit in a 109 than 10 109s in a Spit." - JB42