Author Topic: P3RK $PiT 16!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Bruno

• Silver Member
      • http://4jg53.org
P3RK $PiT 16!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2005, 07:54:09 PM »
There are many 'Spit IXs' with different engines.

The Spit XVI as modeled in AH and as the pictures reflect are of a Spitfire LF.XVI with a clipped 'E-wing'.

As such its engine would be a Packard-Merlin 266 (Ami built Merlin 66).

The Spitfire MK IX in AH is a Spitfire F.XI universal wing (2 x 2cm Hisso's, 4 x .303s) with a Merlin 61.

Max boost for the F.IX Merlin 61 is 15 lbs

Max boost for the LF.IX / LF.XVI Merlin 66/266 is 18 lbs (assuming the modeled the LF.XVI @ 18lbs; with 150 octane fuel it could be run at 25lbs).

However, the LF is optimized for Medium altitude. Some say low altitude but that's not actually true. Between 12 and 20k the LF will easily outperform the F.IX. None of the Spitfires in AH have great deck speed, including the XIV. The F.IX will still be faster the higher you go. With clipped wings the LF.IX/XVI with roll better then the F.IX. Climb and acceleration will also be better (marginally depending on the altitude).

EDIT:

oops was typing when karnak posted...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 07:59:53 PM by Bruno »

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
P3RK $PiT 16!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2005, 08:26:01 PM »
We dont need any more late birds.  Bad enough thats all people use but to add another late war plane so people could overuse, BORING.  Hardly see the early war planes excluding the spit 5.  Id rather see the early war plane list completed first before we get the noobs some more uber planes.
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline Bruno

• Silver Member
P3RK $PiT 16!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2005, 08:33:59 PM »
It's not a late war bird. The Spitfire LF.IX first entered squadron service in 3.43 with 611 Squadron. While the Packard-Merlin 266 LF.XVI better reflects a '44 (post d-day) version in terms of performance its not any better then the LF.IX that entered service in 3.43.

The Spitfire F.IX entered service in mid '42. The only post '43 Spitfire AH has is the XIV, and it's perked.

Offline AKFokerFoder+

• Nickel Member
P3RK $PiT 16!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2005, 08:40:38 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
Ok, fine.

336mph at sea level (Spit XIV does 358)

405mph at 20,000ft, IIRC (Spit XIV does 448mph at 27,000ft)

Initial climb somewhere between 4000 and 4500 feet per minute (about the same for the Spit XIV)

Higher roll rate due to the clipped wings.  Slightly worse at turning due to the clipped wings.

Basically it is a better rolling and accelerating, slightly faster on the deck Spitfire Mk IX.

If I interpet this post and some of the other replies correctly, it would be kind of like this:

A darn nice little plane, but the LA's will still be the main plane of the main arena.

At 336 mph on the deck, it will hardly dominate the place.  Nice climb rate, and Hizooka's, I bet it is popular if it handles a dive well.  Any idea of compression speeds and how it does handle in a dive?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
P3RK $PiT 16!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2005, 08:45:50 PM »
Originally posted by Hoarach
We dont need any more late birds.  Bad enough thats all people use but to add another late war plane so people could overuse, BORING.  Hardly see the early war planes excluding the spit 5.  Id rather see the early war plane list completed first before we get the noobs some more uber planes.

It was needed to fill out the Spitfire's wartime progression.  They are redoing Spits now, so now is the time to fill it out, regardless of whether the MA needs it.

Any idea of compression speeds and how it does handle in a dive?

It is a Spitfire that rolls better.  It'll do fine in a dive.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline AKFokerFoder+

• Nickel Member
P3RK $PiT 16!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2005, 11:17:04 AM »
It was needed to fill out the Spitfire's wartime progression.  They are redoing Spits now, so now is the time to fill it out, regardless of whether the MA needs it.

It is a Spitfire that rolls better.  It'll do fine in a dive.

It sounds like it may outturn / out climb a 109G6, and it will definately out run/out climb the G6.

I imagine it will have a very low ENY.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
P3RK $PiT 16!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2005, 11:20:08 AM »
Originally posted by AKFokerFoder+
It sounds like it may outturn / out climb a 109G6, and it will definately out run/out climb the G6.

ENY of 5 I would imagine as it will be the top dog free Spitfire.  Remember the Spitfire Mk V is being changed from a Spitfire Mk Vc at +16lbs boost with 120 rounds per cannon to a Spitfire Mk Vb at +12lbs boost with 60 rounds per cannon.  The Mk V is going to see a dramatic drop is use I think as will the Mk IX.  The Seafire may pick up some of that slack, but most will probably go to the Mk XVI.

Compare it to the Bf109G-14, not the Bf109G-6.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 11:23:16 AM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
P3RK $PiT 16!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2005, 11:34:11 AM »
The Mk V is going to see a dramatic drop is use I think as will the Mk IX.  The Seafire may pick up some of that slack, but most will probably go to the Mk XVI.

Compare it to the Bf109G-14, not the Bf109G-6.

I would guess the N1k will see more migration from the spit V faithfull.

Is the seafire going to remain @ 120rpg and 16lbs?  If it does than everyone will simply move over the the seafire IMO.

Dave

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
P3RK $PiT 16!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2005, 11:42:22 AM »
Well if what I remember comes to pass, the Seafire will be changed, it won't be a Seafire IIc (a heavy spitV with carrier landing stuff) but it will instead be the more common Seafire III (a heavy spit9 with carrier landing stuff) -- it will probably perform better and still have 120RPG for hispanos.

Offline Bruno

• Silver Member
P3RK $PiT 16!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2005, 11:44:42 AM »
The Seafire will be even better if they model a Seafire MK III as some have been suggesting they would.

The current Seafire is a MK IIc

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
P3RK $PiT 16!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2005, 11:45:45 AM »
Seafire L.Mk III isn't a Spit IX.  It still has the earlier single stage Merlin unlike the Mk IX which has the two stage Merlin 60 series.  The Seafire L.Mk III was the first Seafire to have folding wings.  It did have 120 rounds per cannon though.  It marks the divergence of the Spitfire and Seafire lines.  From the L.Mk III on they are no longer directly comparable.

I really don't know what to expect from the Seafire L.Mk III in terms of performance.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Bruno

• Silver Member
P3RK $PiT 16!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2005, 11:48:58 AM »
I haven't read anything about them modeling an L.MK III specifically. I don't think its for sure what version of the Mk III they will model, or even if they re-do the Seafire at all.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
P3RK $PiT 16!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2005, 11:49:55 AM »
As I understand it there is only one version of the Seafire Mk III. So far as I know they were all Seafire L.Mk IIIs.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Bruno

• Silver Member
P3RK $PiT 16!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2005, 11:52:17 AM »
No there was an F.MK III as well

Supermarine Seafire III: Developed from Supermarine Seafire II with double-folding wings (mainplanes up, tips down) for improved stowage aboard carriers. Prototype (MA970) converted from first production F Mk IIC, first flown November 1942. Basic production Supermarine Seafire F Mk III (Supermarine Type 358) normally powered by Merlin 55 (but Merlin 45, 46 and 50 also used), and four-bladed propeller; featured improved u/c for deck operations and, after first small batch, deletion of outer cannon bays in 'C'-type wing. Provision for RATOG and bombs, as Supermarine Seafire II.

Major variant was Supermarine Seafire LF Mk III (often also called L Mk III) fitted for low-altitude operations with Merlin 55M. Small number of LF Mk Ills fitted with vertical and oblique cameras, as in FR Mk IIC, and designated Supermarine Seafire FR Mk III; first conversion, by Heston Aircraft, completed June 1943. Total Supermarine Seafire III production, 1,263, by Westland (913) and Cunliffe Owen (350), included about 30 initially with fixed wings, known as L Mk IIC Hybrid until converted. First production Supermarine Seafire III completed May 1943; service use began November 1943, with No 894 Sqn.
Data for LF Mk III: Max speed, 348 mph (560 kmlh) at 6,000 ft (1,830 m). Initial climb, 4,160 ftlmin (21.13 m/sec). Time to 5,000ft (1,525 m), 1.9 min. Service ceiling, 24,000ft (7,315 m). Range (with drop tanks), 513 mis (825 km). Empty weight, 6,204 Ib (2,814 kg). Gross weight, 7,640 Ib (3,565 kg). Span, 36 ft 10 in (11.23 m). Length, 30 ft 2'/2 in (9.21 m). Wing area, 242 sq ft (22.48m2).

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
P3RK $PiT 16!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2005, 12:01:22 PM »
Originally posted by AKFokerFoder+

Ah sure, it will eat alive our early G-6. It should be compared with a 1,800hp MW late G-6 or later model.

I hate to meet everything that seems a Spitfire, La, Nik or Ki in the MA, but I must admit that there was a huge hole between the Spitfire Mk.IX and the Mk.XIV. We needed a later Spit.

Now HTC, wheres my Fiat G.55?
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown