Author Topic: A caution about DRM and Sony CD's  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
A caution about DRM and Sony CD's
« on: November 01, 2005, 12:06:57 PM »
Just a cautionary word about DRM (Digital Rights Management) and Sony CD's.  If you make use of a copy-protected CD from Sony, you will have installed a rootkit on your computer which will consume some percentage of CPU time and there is no way to remove the rootkit.  This will only happen if the CD is allowed to start through the Windows 'autorun' feature.

A rootkit hides files, registry entries, and drivers from you so they can run without your knowledge.  This is how most spyware/malware works.  In this case though, it is a copy protection scheme Sony uses on its CD's (any copy-protected CD).

There is currently no way to remove this without extensive knowledge of the Windows registry and Intel assembly language.  The only solution is to re-format and re-install the operating system.

I thought I would let you know in case you have run a copy-protected CD from Sony on your computer recently.  The side effects are poorer performance in Aces High II, possibly some stability issues as well.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 12:09:38 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 12:47:01 PM »
jeez these guys have some neck :mad:

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 12:52:53 PM »
In all fariness to Sony.  This is just the beginning, as they licensed the software from another company.  Other companies will be using it as well.  You see, this all plays within the guideliines of MIcrosoft's DRM.

There will be a whole slew of things like this to protect data on CD/DVD coming down the road.  All of it changes the basic way your computer runs.

Starforce is also a popular copy-protection software, which gets silently installed on your computer, when you install some applications.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 01:00:40 PM »
So disable windows auto run?
Ludere Vincere

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 01:47:15 PM »
All that C07ft5y stuff you get on the registry from installing games is similar isn't it?

Someone will nvent a utility for clearing it all out.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 02:30:31 PM »
Originally posted by Tilt
So disable windows auto run?
Disabling auto-run inhibits the installation of copy-protection schemes on music CD's.  Right now anyway.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 09:09:30 AM »
They can't be removed easily but you can detect if you have them.
Here is a way to find out if you already have one installed.
I found it through KickAss Gears board in the News section for November 1st.

http://www.kickassgear.com and the link for the revealer is http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/rootkitrevealer.html
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 03:17:48 PM »
What's the best way to disable autorun?  Every time I figure out where it is, 6 months later microsoft has moved it or added a second place where it also has to be disabled to really get rid of it.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 04:30:18 PM »
CD or DVD properties I'd assume.

My Computer, right click on the cd or dvd and use Properties from the menu.
I have an 'Autoplay' selection there with XPHome.
I can't turn it off though and I have checked 'Prompt me each time to choose an action' because it seems like the lesser of two evils.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 11:15:01 AM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Disabling auto-run inhibits the installation of copy-protection schemes on music CD's.  Right now anyway.

Skuzzy: are you sure?  In Windows XP the AutoPlay tab of the Properties page allows the selection of various actions for automatic playing of media  files, but there is no way to shut off AutoRun, i.e. the automatic running of the autorun.inf file.  I've got everything set to "ask me" in the AutoPlay tab, but CDs with autorun.inf files still instantly execute whatever code they contain.

Doesn't that mean that the Trojan Horse copy protection program on audio CDs is going to execute in Windows XP regardless of user settings?  Or is there somewhere else, say in the registry, to totally turn off AutoRun?

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 11:55:41 AM »
The easiest way to prevent this is to download the mp3's

LOL, marketing genius.  Arouse suspision and fear of store bought CD's.

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 02:43:26 PM »
Originally posted by 715
Skuzzy: are you sure?  In Windows XP the AutoPlay tab of the Properties page allows the selection of various actions for automatic playing of media  files, but there is no way to shut off AutoRun, i.e. the automatic running of the autorun.inf file.  I've got everything set to "ask me" in the AutoPlay tab, but CDs with autorun.inf files still instantly execute whatever code they contain.

Doesn't that mean that the Trojan Horse copy protection program on audio CDs is going to execute in Windows XP regardless of user settings?  Or is there somewhere else, say in the registry, to totally turn off AutoRun?

Here ya go:

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_really_disable_autoplay_in_windows_xp.html

The auto-play feature in Windows was significantly beefed up when Windows XP was introduced. For CD and DVD drives specifically, Windows will first attempt to determine what type of media you've inserted, and then perform an appropriate action. If it doesn't know what action is appropriate, it asks - with the option to remember that action for next time.

Seems fair enough - except that when I encountered it for the first time, it kept forgetting the settings, and would always ask. From my perspecitive that's worse that not having auto-play at all. And then I couldn't turn it off.

If that sounds familiar, then you know my frustration.

Enter one of my favorite Windows add-ons: TweakUI, one of what Microsoft calls "Power Toys for Windows XP". It's more than a toy. It allows you to adjust (or 'tweak') several settings that aren't exposed directly by the standard Windows tools.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Once you've installed TweakUI, you'll find a lot of options in it. For our current problem, in TweakUI expand My Computer, and then AutoPlay. Click on Drives, and uncheck the drive letter that you no longer want to AutoPlay. Click on Apply, and that's it. No more "what would you like me to do" dialogs.

TweakUI has a number of other settings - I encourage you to install it and browse around in it. It's something I install on every computer I run. (The PowerToys page has a number of nifty tools as well - have a look while you're there).

Regards
Sun
Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 06:52:04 PM »
Thanks!  :aok

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2005, 03:14:42 PM »
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2005, 06:57:05 PM »
Heheh What a fiasco!

Been watching this for two weeks now and I still think of Skuzzy's intial early warning post everytime I see another article or report in the media.

The day after Skuzzy's post I got a one-up on my geek buds at work, talking about disableing "autoplay" because of the "Sony root kit" stealth install on new CDs. They came up with everything from "It's no big deal" to "what's a root kit?". One even told me that every single app running in ram was visable in Task Manager...so he could tell if anything like that was ever installed on his box.

Again, thx Skuz for the early heads up and like you say...With VISTA otw and it's invasive DRM...we aint seen nothin yet!

Here's a neat article over at WIRED NEWS :

Regards
Sun

Real Story of the Rogue Rootkit  

Story location: http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,69601,00.html

02:00 AM Nov. 17, 2005 PT

It's a David and Goliath story of the tech blogs defeating a mega-corporation.

On Oct. 31, Mark Russinovich broke the story in his blog: Sony BMG Music Entertainment distributed a copy-protection scheme with music CDs that secretly installed a rootkit on computers. This software tool is run without your knowledge or consent -- if it's loaded on your computer with a CD, a hacker can gain and maintain access to your system and you wouldn't know it.

The Sony code modifies Windows so you can't tell it's there, a process called "cloaking" in the hacker world. It acts as spyware, surreptitiously sending information about you to Sony. And it can't be removed; trying to get rid of it damages Windows.

This story was picked up by other blogs (including mine), followed by the computer press. Finally, the mainstream media took it up.

The outcry was so great that on Nov. 11, Sony announced it was temporarily halting production of that copy-protection scheme. That still wasn't enough -- on Nov. 14 the company announced it was pulling copy-protected CDs from store shelves and offered to replace customers' infected CDs for free.

But that's not the real story here.

It's a tale of extreme hubris. Sony rolled out this incredibly invasive copy-protection scheme without ever publicly discussing its details, confident that its profits were worth modifying its customers' computers. When its actions were first discovered, Sony offered a "fix" that didn't remove the rootkit, just the cloaking.

Sony claimed the rootkit didn't phone home when it did. On Nov. 4, Thomas Hesse, Sony BMG's president of global digital business, demonstrated the company's disdain for its customers when he said, "Most people don't even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care about it?" in an NPR interview. Even Sony's apology only admits that its rootkit "includes a feature that may make a user's computer susceptible to a virus written specifically to target the software."

However, imperious corporate behavior is not the real story either.....

http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,69601,00.html
Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.