Author Topic: Warbirds III  (Read 1693 times)

Offline uberhun

• Nickel Member
Warbirds III
« on: November 05, 2005, 01:58:29 PM »
Does anyone have an account with warbirds? And if so what are the differences between the 2 sims?:noid

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Warbirds III
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 02:48:37 PM »
I got it as a box sim a while back. The few things I thought were neat about it have been implemented in AH2. FM doesnt hold a candle to AH and graphics werent as good. Im sure they have a newer version out but I havent heard anything terribly exciting about it.

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
Warbirds III
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 03:44:22 PM »
The latest version has really nice graphics, but the flight model is kind of gamey, IMO.
BLAMM0 - FACTA, NON VERBA!

Offline CHECKERS

• Silver Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/1502/index.html
Warbirds III
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 07:41:19 AM »
War Birds 2005 has excellent graphics, planes require constant in flight trim ( so-called "Full Realisum" ) and are hard as hell to control . Their is no radar what so ever !!!. There is No Relaxed Realisum Arena in WarBirds 2005. ( No Combat Trim mode Like AcesHigh ). Most of the planes in the New main Arena are AI Drone's . So when you read the WB's website and read where their is 90 to 100+ players flying in the New Main , 85 of them are AI Drones.
  Of all the WarBirds versions, War Birds II is the very best game offered . WarBirds II is an Old game, one of the longest running online .
 It is based on a game that HT & Pyro developed and worked on . In War Birds II you can fly with a version of Relaxed Realisum  auto combat trim .
 The planes are fast and the game alot fun . Big draw back with WB II, is that once you up a plane their is no radar . Just a dumb little arrow you can bring up on the map........ showing you the  general direction of where the a con might be .....The  planes in all War Birds games , lose energy way too fast !!
 Both WarBirds II & 2005 uses the rolling plane set  and that gameplay-feature FLAT SUCKS !!!

CHECKERS
« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 08:04:51 AM by CHECKERS »
Originally posted by Panman
God the BK's are some some ugly mo-fo's. Please no more pictures, I'm going blind Bet your mothers don't even love ya cause u'all sooooooooo F******* ulgy.

Offline Blixen

• Silver Member
      • http://475thfg.bravehost.com/
Warbirds III
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 09:10:14 AM »
ditto on checkers opinion
never enough peeps on
and i dont like there inflight view system either

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
      • http://www.mikethinks.com
Warbirds III
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 11:41:36 AM »
I have occasionally dabbles in WB (free weekends and such of course...Id never pay).  The game itself was at one time the top of the biz, but that is far in the past, while my actual flight experience is extreemly limited, others I know who are actual puilots like AH 'realism' over WB.  

While I wont get into the whole busines shenanigans that occured over there, I will say that the community was really lacking durring the critical 1999-2001 period that saw Aces High take off.  While we have grown now into a community with a goodly collection of morons, we still hold that core base of dedicated players that help the newbies with at least the basics.  I had on several occasion logged into WB and asked a question or two on open channel, the responses were often completely absent, and sometimes outright rude.  I do beleive that these types of 'I'm l33t' attitudes is what doomed WB to a paultry position in the massive online flight sim community.  Despite huge marketing campaigns, in store game boxes, and what I saw as preferential treetment by gaming magazines and websites, AH has risen to the top.

For once I think the better game won out over the better marketing.....although I dont think you can discount YOU....as the best marketing AH can get....and now we advertise on Discovery wing....err the MiLiTaRy channel...blech :D

Offline tikky

• Copper Member
Warbirds III
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 12:54:25 PM »
lol i see WB3 players show up en masse when there's a big big scenario, like bob, kursk, ect ect.  They got nice collection of jap planes too

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
Warbirds III
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 06:01:52 PM »
thats the trick with games that are oriented around historical scenarios, not saying wb3 is but for keeping attendance a pretty advanced mission system has to be developed in order for it to keep people playing regularily and not just friday nights.

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
Warbirds III
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 02:50:42 AM »
1) Actually, the rollin plane set is, IMHO, a good feature. It teaches ppl to fly non-uber planes for the most part of the war. And above all the MA is populated by the right planes (109F and C.202s against SpitMkV and P40s, or 109G-6 against Spit MkIX ... and so on). It is far from perfect but for sure you wont find an arena always full of La7, Nikis, Ki84 and Spitfires IX.

2) WB's (I and II) scenarios and S3 have always been the best around. Well organized and with the best and appropriate plane set. I miss them and cant really understand why AH has never been as good.
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Warbirds III
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 04:39:37 AM »
I wouldn't touch Warbirds with a bargepole if it were the last flight sim on earth, the companies managment are lecherous blood sucking scum and a blight on the sim community. They're sueing people for a bogus patent they claim to have.

Offline save

• Gold Member
Warbirds III
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 05:52:09 AM »
IN Warbirds FM's are beeing reviwed as we speak .  

More than 20 versions of 109:s for example are beeing tested in Beta now
Most of them are early 109s.

New FM's beeing tested in Beta :

Bf 109 E-1 A-0
Bf 109 E-3 A-1
Bf 109 E-4 Aa
Bf 109 E-4 N
Bf 109 E-7 NZ
Bf 109 F-1 N
Bf 109 F-2 NZ
Bf 109 F-4 E
Bf 109 F-4 EZ
Bf 109 G- 1 AZ
Bf 109 G- 2 A
Bf 109 G- 5 A Z
Bf 109 G- 6 A
Bf 109 G- 6 AM
Bf 109 G-10 D
Bf 109 G-14 ASM
Bf 109 G-14 ASB
Bf 109 G-14 ASC
Bf 109 K- 4 DB,109
Bf 109 K- 4 DC,109
Bf 109 K-14 L,109

Spitfire M03 Mk I
Spitfire M12 Mk II
Spitfire M20 MkIIc
Spitfire M45 Mk Vb
Spitfire M45 Mk Vc
Spitfire M45M LF Vb
Spitfire M47 HF VI
Spitfire M55M LF Vc

Later varients of the spit ARE in the offing.

AH has better gameplay !
WB has better scenarios !

Remember pyro and HT made WB.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Warbirds III
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 06:52:44 AM »
Gatt

Not only do I strongly disagree, but I take exception to your claims.

Rolling plane set sucks IMO, but even more so apparently it sucks in HT's opinion.

Nuff said on that one.

Warbirds Scenarios & S3 being the best around?

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I've flown in several warbirds scenarios over the years. They were in my opinion no better organised, setup and run than what the AH CM crew puts out.

As to the S3's, well I treid for 3 years to get into that so I could try one.
Never happened, our squad apparently was not "elite" enough.

Fri & Sun squad ops have imo taken the s3 idea & done it one better.

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
Warbirds III
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 07:09:00 AM »
Ghost,

as far as the rollin plane set is concerned ... well, I say again: it is my humble opinion. BTW, one thing is a wrong RPS (many times the set was wrong in WB), one thing is to prefer a fantasy arena always full of Typh, La, Spits, Ki and Niks.

As far as scenarios are concerned, with all respect for AH scenario designers and managers, I still miss those Scenario Lite I played in WB. And with me my squad members, many of them "ex-warbirders".
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Whisky58

• Copper Member
Warbirds III
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2005, 07:11:48 AM »
Originally posted by gatt
1) Actually, the rollin plane set is, IMHO, a good feature. It teaches ppl to fly non-uber planes for the most part of the war. And above all the MA is populated by the right planes (109F and C.202s against SpitMkV and P40s, or 109G-6 against Spit MkIX ... and so on). It is far from perfect but for sure you wont find an arena always full of La7, Nikis, Ki84 and Spitfires IX.

I agree with gatt on this one.  

I was on WB2 for years, then WB3 for a short time before seeing the light & moving to AH.  Generally AH is superior, but I used to enjoy rolling plane set for above reasons.

I guess it's down to personal preference & there's no right or wrong.

Just out of interest, what is it about rolling set you fellers dislike so much?

Regards
Whisky

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Warbirds III
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2005, 08:15:38 AM »
Originally posted by Whisky58

Just out of interest, what is it about rolling set you fellers dislike so much?

Regards

If you're a P-40 fan, RPS's are great.

DmdMax