Author Topic: Now they are saying the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe is a violation  (Read 544 times)

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
See Rule #7
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 10:53:54 AM by Skuzzy »
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
Now they are saying the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe is a violation
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 04:27:14 PM »
Yeah, that McCaleb guy is a real moron. So is the author of the article.

"The Chronicles of Narnia" is a Christian allegory. Feel free to look up any news site in the past two months, and see how the film is being marketed as the next "The Passion of the Christ". (I don't make this crap up -- honest!)

"Freedom of speech?" What the Hell does forcing students to read one book to compete have to do with Freedom of Speech? The fact that there's a corporate tie-in (to the movie) makes it even more offensive.
I mean crap, the commitee judging the submissions isn't going to have its workload increased by adding two or three other books. Heck, what you do is select out the best in each submission category, then give the prize to the kid who wrote on the Chronicles of Narnia. That way, you achieve your objectives -- plug the Christian movie and get the little white boy in the papers -- and maintain an appearance of objectivity. Sheesh guys. Bunch of bloody morons don't even know how to throw a contest.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 04:29:12 PM »
Arg, this is ridiculous.

Book banning is stupid, whether it's Harry Potter or Narnia.  I hope the ACLU takes this case, it'd be beautiful and would make some of y'all eat your hats.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 06:18:01 PM »
These people really make me sick.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 06:50:15 PM »
wow that is pretty dumb.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 07:20:15 PM »
oh but no "this whole go after everything that might resemble a conflict between so called seperation of church and state won't go anywere, these are just harmless lawsuits from the ACLU"

And some of you wonder why we are so adament about protecting religion in this country.  Mark my words it's not those that need protecting FROM religion it's religion itself.

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 07:31:40 PM »
Why don't I support religion?  It only stirs up bad things, like wars and.....BAN EVERYTHING!:furious
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 07:32:35 PM »
Heh... If more Americans would use Google they'd find that the so called
"Separation of Church and State" was not written into the Consititution, but was a Letter from Thomas Jefferson to the Minister of the Baptist Church.

Tell me where in the Constitution that declares separation from Church and State.

It's a very good read and Jefferson makes a very fine point.

Just another point in American History that has been misguided.

Mac

http://www.usconstitution.net/jeffwall.html
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 07:40:09 PM by AWMac »

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 10:09:04 PM »
Hi All,

The first time I read the Narnia series was as a child of about 8 or so, I had no idea it was supposed to be an allegory about Christ. To me it was just an entertaining fantasy tale not terribly different from the Hobbit which I read at about the same time.

Funny isn't it? For some reason this quaint tale of fawns and lions and the eventual triumph of good over evil, is supposed to be a potentially dangerous and corrupting influence, so dangerous that our children must not be permitted to read it.

On the other hand, it was fine and laudable when as part of our 10th grade English Curriculum I was assigned the book "Native Son". I remember gleefully reading a couple of extracts from it to my mother, in which the protagonist, Bigger, first smothers his employers daughter with a pillow and then attempts to destroy the body, and follows this up by graphically bashing his girlfriends brains out with a brick. My parents were horrified and couldn't believe that I had been assigned such a book by a school, the administration maintained it was "a great American novel" and that I needed to be exposed to these things in order to properly mold my character. Thus followed several years of reading novels either existentialist or nihilist in their philosophy, and always teaching the same message of the purposelessness and despair of existance, that morals were, after all, relative and finally meaningless, and counseling one to either rage against the system, or simply commit suicide.

What a wonderful society we are building. Naked Lunch and The Plague get two thumbs up, but Narnia must be legally removed from the curricula as potentially harmful to young minds. Looks like we approve of always winter and never Christmas here too. Watch out kids, Maugrim and his secret police are coming to make sure you don't hear about Aslan.

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Kurt

• Silver Member
      • http://www.clowns-of-death.com
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 10:21:57 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
Arg, this is ridiculous.

Book banning is stupid,

WHOA?  Quite a jump you've made there from 'Please use a different book' to book banning...

Maybe you should read it more slowly... I agree that this is all nuts... but no one is talking about banning these books.
--Kurt
Supreme Exalted Grand Pooh-bah Clown
Clowns of Death <Now Defunct>
'A pair of jokers beats a pair of aces'

Offline Kurt

• Silver Member
      • http://www.clowns-of-death.com
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 10:36:44 PM »
Originally posted by AWMac
Heh... If more Americans would use Google they'd find that the so called
"Separation of Church and State" was not written into the Consititution,  

Right, but those who read past the first link... They'd learn that the intent exists in the first amendment which states
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...."

Which in more common words says that the government should maintain something of a 'hands-off' with regard to religion... Neither condone nor exclude.  There are to be no laws that force any specific religion nor are there to be any laws that exclude a specific religion.

Thus, any argument against these books is moot..  Since forbidding them is just as bad as forcing them.

Nothing more and nothing less.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 10:57:39 PM by Kurt »
--Kurt
Supreme Exalted Grand Pooh-bah Clown
Clowns of Death <Now Defunct>
'A pair of jokers beats a pair of aces'

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 10:48:14 PM »
aww, **** it, kill the public school system and the entire ÈstateÈ thing gets blown to ****...

i gave money to a bum, the bum went and bought some weed with  it...do i support weed smokingÉ

according to these morons, y e s.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2005, 01:29:44 AM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
oh but no "this whole go after everything that might resemble a conflict between so called seperation of church and state won't go anywere, these are just harmless lawsuits from the ACLU"

And some of you wonder why we are so adament about protecting religion in this country.  Mark my words it's not those that need protecting FROM religion it's religion itself.

You don't know where the ACLU stands on this issue. They might very well stand with the state.
sand

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2005, 01:37:34 AM »
See thre problem I see here sandy isn't ethics, cause that isn't what school districts and local govts think in......it's budgets.  They don't have the money to fight off some high power lawyer or some local elected official doesn't have the spin to fight them.  Either way they plan to spend money on fighting the suit in court so they give in to them.  I wish the ACLU would take somthing like this up but I doubt they will.  It's about agenda.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2005, 01:44:06 AM »
Well... the ADF is on the school's side. So I don't think it's a budget issue either. AFAIK they've got deep pockets as well.

Personally, I think it's a tragedy in this country that people and corportations with money can blithely throw their weight around with frivolous lawsuits. The MPAA and RIAA come to mind. But that's another topic altogether.
sand