Author Topic: Copy Protected CDs  (Read 3019 times)

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2001, 05:45:00 PM »
You need more than my lecture.

Offline gavor

• Nickel Member
      • http://users.senet.com.au/~shanga
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2001, 06:06:00 PM »
Actually ive had a CD or two go bad. It depends if you transport them much. I've taken CD's to LAN parties and friends houses for LANs and accidents happen so dont preach to me about whats right and wrong mr high moral ground 'the lord he toucheth me with light hand for my saintlyhood'.

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Gavor ]

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2001, 07:36:00 PM »
I copied IL2 to my hard disk using Virtual CDROM w/o problem.

I did it to avoid having to insert the CD everytime... not for pirating.    ;)

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2001, 07:43:00 PM »
I've lost a ton of CDs when they went through US customs.  CDs and cases shoved in a box with god knows what stuck to them.

I don't advocated infringing copyrights; but I don't see copy protection of CDs as my friend.  If it means I can't listen to a CD I pay for, yet it doesn't stop pirates from copying it (and consequently means that a pirate copy is more appealing to me than a legitimate one), I just don't see it as worthwhile.

Offline scruu

• Zinc Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2001, 07:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by moose:

When I was in school, we didn't all 'pool our money' go out, and buy one copy.

I doubt that actually happens.

Everytime I "pooled" My money, the cashier wouldn't take it cause it was so wet.

NUTTZ

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2001, 08:15:00 PM »
Gavor, the CD didnt "go bad".  You ruined it.  So if you crash your car, Ford should give you a new one?

Justify it all you want, it is stealing.

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2001, 08:19:00 PM »
Uhhh... Gadfly, intellectual property is a little different.  You ever hear of "fair use"?
In any case, CDs are not exactly the most durable form of media.

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2001, 08:29:00 PM »
Dinger, they are, even moreso.  That means that they do not sell you the software, they sell you a license to USE it.  On Copy protected media, you are buying a license to use THAT MEDIA.  If you ruin it, it is no different than ruining a pyhsical possesion.  You have no right to copy the progam, other than the limits laid out in the Users Agreement.

CD's are hardly fragile.

Offline gavor

• Nickel Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2001, 08:36:00 PM »
I call it insurance. I call it intelligent. If i sold my copy, i'd call it illegal.

Justify it all you want, it is stealing.
How can i steal something I already own? If I break the CD I dont expect the developer to send me another one. I am smart enough to have made other plans though. If I could copy my car in a 'car burner' i'm sure i'd look into that too  :D.

That car carshing analogy's the stupidest thing i've seen since steelo undies.

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2001, 08:43:00 PM »
LOL, your funny, all of you scumbag thieves.  Read what you agree to before you use it, if you doubt it.

edit-Actually, Gavor, if that is as far as it went, there is no problem.  Real world facts say that that is not the case(not in your instance perhaps, but overall).

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Gadfly ]

Offline gavor

• Nickel Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2001, 08:46:00 PM »
What a retort. I must come over one day and admire all your debating trophies.

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2001, 08:48:00 PM »
We overlapped, there, sorry.

Offline gavor

• Nickel Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2001, 08:55:00 PM »
np

Look, I understand your edit, but calling me a scumbag thief is not the way to make friends. In the past I copied games, but im a developer myself now and I know what a trial programming is and how much those guys deserve their money. I like a good discussion but i dont like being abused, you're making a judgement on me without knowing me, attack my posts if you wish but not me.
My solution is that I hire a game to see if i like it then I buy it. I know that I like it and I dont want to be out of pocket just cos i enjoy a good network game. I know damn well how durable CD's are, they're not bad but they wear down with lots of use. Some of my games have seen a lot of use. A LOT. I love my half life CD and I have a backup. If the original stops working I sure as hell want to have that backup there so i can play some more if i want.

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2001, 08:57:00 PM »
LOL, your funny, all of you scumbag thieves. Read what you agree to before you use it, if you doubt it.

actually the agreements are not published on the outside of the box(they are either  in the manual, or they pop up while installing).
and since stores wont allow you to return software once the box is open i don't feel particularly obligated by the use agreement because it didn't come up until my money was already spent.

kinda reminds me of those stupid product contests "no purchase necesary, details inside"

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
Copy Protected CDs
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2001, 08:59:00 PM »
I was not talking to you, Gavor, Look up a few posts.