Author Topic: Why does the Spit VIII roll slower than the IX or XIV?  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Why does the Spit VIII roll slower than the IX or XIV?
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2005, 03:17:30 PM »
If the roll rate, say doing a half roll ends up at the same time, how can this be a big factor?

If you look at the ADM standard Angus some aircraft are simply quicker to begin a roll from the moment the pilot move the stick.

After the ailerons move then roll rate takes over.

All the best,

Crumpp

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2005, 09:31:28 AM »
The Mk VIII had different hinges on the ailerons to allow crisper control.
Did the 190 have rods or cables BTW?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2005, 10:10:40 AM »
Originally posted by Angus
Did the 190 have rods or cables BTW?

Interesting.  This kind of goes to Crump's statements about agility in the two big Luftwaffe threads right now.  If so it could indicate that the SPits I, V, IX, XVI and Seafire should have a bit of a slower start in regards to rolling whereas the VIII and XIV would be a bit more agile, to use Crump's words.

Now, what evidence of this do you have?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Kurfürst

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.kurfurst.org
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2005, 12:26:27 PM »
Originally posted by Angus

Do you have any details of that or what perfromance change it may or may not yielded? I was unable to find any improvement anyway, not MkVIII roll, comparisions (there's one but that's with longspan wings amd its poorer), but the XIV (=heavier VIII airframe) was compared to the IX, the conclusion was that 'Rate of roll [of the XIV/VIII is very much the same [as the IX]'.

Did the 190 have rods or cables BTW? [/B]

Both 109 and 190 had control rods actuating the ailerons.
The Messerschmitt Bf 109 Performance Resource Site
http://www.kurfurst.org

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2005, 01:20:48 PM »
One thing about cables vs rods.  They make no difference in a freshly tuned aircraft.  Cables will lose their effectiveness much faster and to a much larger degree though.

As AH models factory fresh aircraft it is a non-issue.  In ToD, where I understand you keep your aircraft for a long time, it should be modeled as in that case the difference would be significant.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2005, 02:24:20 PM »
From what I can find, the short span ailerons on the VIII were added at the same time as the wing was strengthened.  There had been a number of accidents where earlier Spits were lost in high speed dives where aileron flutter was considered as the reason for the accident.

The shortened ailerons were to reduce the possibilty of aileron flutter.  Nothing seems to indicate there was a reduction in performance because of it.

They were introduced on the high alt Spitfire VII first and were also on the Spit XIV but interestingly not on the Spitfire PR19 which was the recce version of the Spit XIV.

As far as AH is concerned, I've been bouncing between the IX and XVI and I don't know that I don't like the IX a bit better.  It just feels 'smoother' and in fights against XVIs, even down low, I've been able to knock em down.

Nothing to back that up numbers wise, just the feel of the IX vs the XVI.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2005, 05:11:57 AM »
AFAIK, there are three major things that affect the attainable roll-rate: Wintip design in relation to aileron position, torsional rigidity of the wing, and aileron stiffness. The aileron has to be stiff both of its surface and its structure, any deformation eats its effectiviness.

Then there are pressure matters and venting but those are found in detail in NACA 868.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."