Author Topic: Joystick and Roll  (Read 525 times)

Offline Orfice

• Zinc Member
Joystick and Roll
« on: November 20, 2005, 12:12:20 PM »
I just downloaded the game a few days ago and playing around in offline mode.  I have a Saitek Evo, which it seems from reading on these forums may not be the favorite stick :).

When I do some test flights, the plane is barely rolls at all using the twist on the stick.  I have played with the settings, but nothing seems to help.  I am used to a plane behaving more like those in BF 1942, where when you roll, it really rolls.

Is this normal for AH, or am I doing something wrong?  I cannot hardly fly without it behaving more like I am used to flying a plane.

Thanks

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Joystick and Roll
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 12:40:53 PM »
For rolling your plane push your stick left and right (aileron control).

The twisty controls your rudder, wich doesnt roll the plane, but makes its longitudinal axis angled compared to of flight path.

Then you also need to calibrate your stick, both in windows and ingame. (SETUP>CONTROLS>JOYSTICK>Calibrate Stick).

Check out NetAces for tons of useful info. I also recommend digging through the HTC help file.

You can also come online and check out the training arena. Youll usually find someone there that can answer questions, help you get started and do some troubleshooting if needed. The first two weeks online are free.
Or contact the trainers at trainers@hitechcreations.com .

Welcome to Aces High :).
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Orfice

• Zinc Member
Joystick and Roll
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 07:05:24 PM »
Thank you.  I will check that out  :)

Offline richard_rd

• Copper Member
Joystick and Roll
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 08:41:46 PM »
After or during your roll (Aileron, move stick left or right) the more up elevator (pull back on stick) you apply will make your plane turn harder/tighter.

Also adding a little bit of rudder (with twisty stick or pedals) while turning will keep your planes nose from skiding thru the turn, this is refered to as a coordinated turn (aileron & rudder). When you can keep the ball centered during turns you have got it down pat!!!  This allows you to turn more efficiently without bleeding 'E' (energy) away.

PS - The way the Joystick works in AH2 is the way a stick works in a real plane:

Left - applies left aileron roll (left Aileron up & right Aileron down)
Right - applies right aileron roll (left Aileron down & right Aileron up)
Up - apllies up elevator
Down - applies down elevator

A real plane uses pedals on the floor for the rudder, The twisty rudder jotstick design is just a alternate way to allow you to control the rudder without having to purchase a set of rudder pedals which cost about $100 bucks.  Do a google search on CH USB Pro pedals.

You can also use the gas and brake pedals from a cheap Steering wheel controler as rudder pedals.  That is what i use. I bought a cheap $35  Logitech racing wheel and use the gas and brake pedals from it. Using this as rudder pedals was very uncomfortable at first because the gas and brake pedal were only 4 inches apart. But after about 10 minutes with my jig saw i fixed that problem by separating the two pedal base in half and connecting them with a 4'  three conductor wire.  Now i can fly with my cheap modified pedals sitting confertably in my chair with my legs about 2-3 feet apart on the left and right rudder pedal.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 09:11:09 PM by richard_rd »

Offline Orfice

• Zinc Member
Joystick and Roll
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 11:10:54 PM »
Good info here fellas, thank you.   It is getting alittle better for me as I am practicing some more and do some studying.  

It is certainly a different feel than I expected, but thats the fun of learning new games.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Joystick and Roll
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 08:52:08 AM »
Heres another article i remebered but didnt find the link to immediatly.

Secondary Flight Controls - Rudder

If you like to read up on stuff and know more about the inner workings of Air Combat.... youll find hours of good reads here as well.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline richard_rd

• Copper Member
Joystick and Roll
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 07:56:05 PM »
Originally posted by Orfice
Good info here fellas, thank you.   It is getting alittle better for me as I am practicing some more and do some studying.  

It is certainly a different feel than I expected, but thats the fun of learning new games.

The nice thing about AH2 is you are not only learning a new game, you are learning with realistic flight envelopes on the planes it uses,  and using similar control techniques as the real plane (stick and rudder, cordinated turns).  Alot of other games will co-ordinate the rudder with the aileron automatically for you, this may make flying the plane eaisier, but at the cost of learning how it is done in real life.  If you ever wanted to go and learn how to fly a real plane, your time spent on AH2 would conrtibute to learning to fly the real thing.