Author Topic: BAN art!!!111  (Read 509 times)

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
BAN art!!!111
« on: November 21, 2005, 01:36:32 PM »
GAAAAA i want to kill kill kill...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051121/od_nm/arts_michelangelo_dc

:rofl

the sad thing is there will be some wack job trying to keep kids "safe" from this horrible influence on their precious minds, and conversley there will be some wack job shooting up a public place saying the "art made him do it".
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
BAN art!!!111
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 02:22:57 PM »
Men of 35-40 year of age who are attracted by the extraordinary masculine beauty and at the same time are also agitated."

That explains Creamo's obsession for me. :D

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
BAN art!!!111
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 02:26:36 PM »
Nothing new, my brother and i did that all the time with our lego masterpieces :)
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
BAN art!!!111
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 03:22:26 PM »
I'm confused...

Italian psychiatrists identify a syndrom that makes people want to destroy art... and this makes you mad? Did you read the article?

I thought this was funny..
The David syndrome has links to the somewhat better known Stendhal syndrome, a term Magherini coined more than 20 years ago, which causes viewers of art to be physically overcome by their reaction to art, sometimes leading to hospitalization.

In both syndromes, a large proportion of those affected are Americans, Magherini said, declining to give more details before the study is completed next year.

Maybe because a large proportion of tourists are Americans?

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
BAN art!!!111
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 03:30:57 PM »
You use this word proportion, but I do not think it means what you think it means.

The quotient obtained when the magnitude of a part is divided by the magnitude of the whole.  

Basically, more Americans freak out per capita than people of other backgrounds.  I believe our religionists are the ones responsible for this.  Sad.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
BAN art!!!111
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 05:49:09 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy

Basically, more Americans freak out per capita than people of other backgrounds.  I believe our religionists are the ones responsible for this.  

Oh hell, I just gotta know. :)
Exactly how do you support this theory?
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
BAN art!!!111
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 08:01:07 PM »
I don't know about destroying "David"--it's a priceless artifact--but I still think the guy who sculpted it must have been a bit queer.  

J_A_B

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
BAN art!!!111
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 09:01:01 PM »
I think we need to start giving people lobotomies, elecroshock treatment and other drugs. http://www.cchr.org
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline mora

• Gold Member
BAN art!!!111
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 06:20:32 AM »
Originally posted by nirvana
I think we need to start giving people lobotomies, elecroshock treatment and other drugs. http://www.cchr.org

Really unbiased site.:rolleyes:  Yes, going from one extreme to another will surely help as always. The banner is a really funny piece of PETA style propaganda.

No surprise really:
The Citizens Commission on Human Rights (CCHR) was co-founded in 1969 by the Church of Scientology...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 06:25:10 AM by mora »

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
BAN art!!!111
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 09:50:55 AM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
I'm confused...

Italian psychiatrists identify a syndrom that makes people want to destroy art... and this makes you mad?  
mad? no. it makes me fall out of my chair laughing at how pathetic it is, and why someone would even bother to "study" it. :rofl
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
BAN art!!!111
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 10:20:37 AM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
Oh hell, I just gotta know. :)
Exactly how do you support this theory?
Actually, I don't have anywhere near enough data to call it a theory.  It's more of a feeling.  Basically, it seems to me that our puritan training in the USA includes, among other things, a sense of shame about the human body.  It seems to me that in my country, you would be more likely to find people who would mistake art for obscenity just because, like David, it shows a human body, and that this is an offshoot of said religious background.

That's all.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
BAN art!!!111
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 10:45:08 AM »
They study it because it's an ethical and moral question.  To what degree is allowable to protect the artwork?  Do you shoot someone that's about to damage or destroy non-replaceable artifacts or art?  Would it be justified, and under what circumstances?  What if you're the artist?  Self-defense of personal property or, valuing a material object above human life?

Something to think about.  Of course, the greater the man is behind the brushstrokes, the less it matters whether one's own art is destroyed.  A master would laugh at his own work being destroyed,  (long as he got paid for it.)

Les

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
BAN art!!!111
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 10:58:17 AM »
Good question, Leslie.  I'm reminded of what the Taliban did in Afghanistan with the Buddha statues.  These incredible statues are carved into the side of a cliff for hundreds of years, and the Taliban takes offense at them because it's idol worshipping so they destroy them.  I was enraged when I read about this.  If I had been there, and had shot back at them to prevent the destruction, though, would I have been a righteous defender of art, preserving masterpieces so that future generations can admire them?  Or a crazy person that puts some old statues above human life?

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
BAN art!!!111
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 11:37:15 AM »
The French Resistance thought it was important to protect art and so did General Scholtz.  He was the only one with the balls to defy Hiler's orders when it came to burning Paris.  He said no to Hitler and faced certain death because of that.  He worked with the Resistance to prevent the destruction of Paris.  Fortunately he was taken prisoner by Allied Forces and subjected to humiliation but nothing more than by stead of being a "Nazi" general in the French public's eye.  He was not a Nazi though.

Read the book "Is Paris Burning?"  It is a true story.

An offtake of this is the movie "The Train" with Burt Lancaster.  A very good movie where the museum director convinces Resistance forces to stop a treasure train headed to Germany carrying away "the soul of France."  The treasure was mostly paintings.

Les

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
BAN art!!!111
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 04:57:32 PM »
Originally posted by mora
Really unbiased site.:rolleyes:  Yes, going from one extreme to another will surely help as always. The banner is a really funny piece of PETA style propaganda.

No surprise really:

:lol  I know, they say there are no such things as chemical imbalances.....I believe someone of that religionsaid that on the news once......some cruise ship named Tom or something, I dunno.  I was just reading about the pyschosurgery and lobotomies and stuff.
Who are you to wave your finger?