Author Topic: BnZ question  (Read 778 times)

Offline 53gunner

• Copper Member
      • http://calliesworld.com
BnZ question
« on: November 21, 2005, 07:07:54 PM »
Ok fairly new to all this and have some questions.
When in a dive (Fw190) Ill hit around 400 or so. Kinda seems to make the plane really sluggish in pitch, roll, etc. Anywho what do you do to slow the dive to still make it "handle" well? lowering engine power helps a little but is there a better way?
Thanx
Glenn

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
BnZ question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 07:21:25 PM »
the best way to slow down real quick is hit enter 3 times quickly.  :aok

if that slows you down too much the 2nd best alternative is to anticipate the dive and cut throttle before starting it.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
BnZ question
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 07:55:47 PM »
If you are just diving to reduce altitude and it is ok if you slide you can kick in a lot of rudder.  This will create a lot more drag and slow you down as well.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
BnZ question
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 08:27:59 PM »
If you're high and don't want to overshoot in a 190, dive in a shallow spiral. Watch for blackouts, and pull up if you're starting to go to fast, bleed it off gradually. The shortest distance between two points (points "high" and "low") is not always the best path :P

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
BnZ question
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 10:15:48 AM »
Talking of boom and zoom, gunner, you may want to take a look at this: Boom and zoom tactics. I think you can find it interesting and helpful, as well.
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline AutoPilot

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
BnZ question
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 02:07:25 PM »
I use a technique called slip streaming,involves a little practice but is well worth the time too learn.I have had the A-5 model doing over 500 MPH using this method,and still have complete control over the aircraft.

You basically have to take the plane out and put it through a series of tough tests too see what it will take and what it won't take.Matter of fact you should do that with all the planes so that way you know the weaknesses and strenths of that particular aircraft when in a fight.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
BnZ question
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 02:27:43 PM »
hit "e" key to feather engine.  cranks up right away unlike the the multi-engine planes.  if you yank bunches of g's in a 190, or better put, when i find that i have to yank bunches of g's in a 190, i've probably done something wrong like trying to get my nose around on a plane that will out turn me if we get co-energy.  i try to keep them fast,

hap

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
BnZ question
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 05:33:54 PM »
Try flying by adjusting the trim.  Using the constant angle trim will keep the plane trimmed when diving (at that angle).  Once you are at speed, say 400 ias, use up trim to bring the nose up.  That kicks out combat trim, btw.

Flying by trim helps with gunnery by not having to aim above or below the plane you are attacking because of g's pulled from slight stick inputs.  Applying zero g's (other than gravity) will allow the guns point of impact to correspond to the gunsite.  Any stick inputs during firing requires corrections due to pulling g's.

Another approach is to practice gunnery with a fixed trim configuration (i.e. combat trim off) that minimizes stick input at attack speed and scaling the stick so slight inputs have a small effect.  If you are BnZ, bleeding E by slowing down is not the best approach.  But if that's what you want to do, then have fun!

Regards,

Malta

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
BnZ question
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 06:09:48 AM »
Originally posted by stantond

Flying by trim helps with gunnery by not having to aim above or below the plane you are attacking because of g's pulled from slight stick inputs.  Applying zero g's (other than gravity) will allow the guns point of impact to correspond to the gunsite.  Any stick inputs during firing requires corrections due to pulling g's.

While this is correct when the target your shooting at is in convergence, theres still gravity drop to be considered when aiming further out.
Also, dont forget that your bullets need *time* to travel to target, which in turn is *moving* during that time.

In other words: You still have to pull lead.

But its admittedly easier to 'calculte' aiming point when you dont have to consider Gs pulled on top of all.
21 is only half the truth.