Author Topic: My song to you  (Read 660 times)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
My song to you
« on: December 21, 2001, 02:44:00 AM »
Heh... it aint exactly *my* song... Me and another guy put together a project studio and have been workin' out songs for the last few months (we kicked a coupla people outta the last band). It aint me singing - I suck at that... but I'm doing a ton of guitar, keys, bass and the drums.

Anyway... was reading the CD copy-protection thread here and it inspired me!    :D Yeah. I felt like tossing out a freebie. Har. I pity anyone who d/l's this.    :)

Important disclaimer: These are all scratch tracks. Ie. we use em to write with, but everything has eventually gotta be re-recorded. And it's gotta be mixed - the levels are hosed. Just as importantly, this hasn't been mastered (compressed, basically) which means that if this isn't turned up pretty loud, about half of the sounds aint gonna reach yer ears (compression is the process that makes a whisper as audible as a scream). Please (!!!) use headphones. The tune may be total toejame, and it's gonna sound like toejame... but if this aint either loud or listened to with headphones, it's gonna sound worse than toejame. You may even feel compelled to lash out at family members or your co-workers. That's more responsibility than I can bear.

Anyways... I feel goofy about posting this thing... It's not like I'm particularly proud of it or anything... but, what the hey.

Rock on cosmonauts!

yegads..

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: Nash ]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
My song to you
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2001, 07:37:00 AM »
Sounds great! Reminds me alittle of "YES" from the 70's!
<S>

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
My song to you
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2001, 07:59:00 AM »
You thought they woulda learned after Celine Dion... should be a law in Canada... no more singers!

Hehe, actually, pretty good. Agree with Rip, sorta like Yes.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
My song to you
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2001, 01:37:00 PM »
NICE!

Ok nash I have some questions for you.  My roommate has a korg ds something or another 16 track 28 bit digital recorder.  It outputs wave files.  What kind of compressor could you recomend for us?  We've only recorded about 3 songs and they sound ok, but I can't get all the levels just right and I know it needs compression, but that's the point where my recording knowledge goes kaput.  Any suggestions?  

:) THanks in advance

Offline DA98

• Copper Member
My song to you
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2001, 03:09:00 PM »
Udie, try with Cubase VST, IIRC, it has some processors/effects to play with. Or, if you have money, you can buy a Yamaha 01V mixing board, for 1600-1700$. It comes with tons of dynamic processors, full parametric EQ (4 bands/channel), and 2 decent effects processors. Oh, and motorized faders (it's sooo cool...   :D).

http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gRMC0000801V

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: DA98 ]

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
My song to you
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2001, 03:43:00 PM »
jeese I dunno.  That thing sure does have alot of knobs on it.

:D

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
My song to you
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2001, 08:26:00 PM »
We sound like Yes? Ooh boy... that's a new one.  :) Thanks for the compliments and feedback though.

Udie - yer gonna love me for this...

FMR Audio

It aint pro (but with compression, it's all a bit subjective anway). However, this thing is priced at about a hundred and eighty bucks... Which is a steal - because it's amazing. It compresses very well and doesn't shreck up the sound while doing it.

Check out the RNC section and the reviews/user feedback there. Ya can't go wrong with it.

It's funny - I checked into the Korg digital recording unit, is this it?

... either the D12 or D1600...

In Korg's own write-up, the 1st topic is "Uncompressed recording and playback for top-quality sound". Which is a good thing, mind you... too bad though that it's not an option in this - yer gonna have to rely on outboard gear.

But it's important... On vocals and bass we run the signal through a compressor before it even prints... then usually add more. The trick is to not add too much (sometimes even none)... 'cause you can really screw up a track that way.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
My song to you
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2001, 08:37:00 PM »
Btw... if yer lookin' to spend more, I have other suggestions. I just reckon yer like us though... and need something decent but won't break the bank. Our last record cost us 7 grand (for 4 days) and that didn't include the engineer ($350 day rate)... not to mention pressing.

When we were done and looking to do more, we said screw that and got our own set-up. It won't be run through Neve strips or have the warmth of 2", but it will be good enough and aint gonna make us go broke.

Hail the digital age!  :)

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
My song to you
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2001, 11:34:00 AM »
Nash -- sounds pretty good, I'll be interested to hear the final mix.  The vocals sound a little "precious"; they might work a little better if the rest of the mix was either turned down or (almost always my preference) turned up.
In any case, you really need to crank the noise from the "keyboards".

Then again, I've always been more of an OTC than Modest Mouse fan, so don't look to me to validate your dreams.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
My song to you
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2001, 11:51:00 AM »
hehe I know what you mean Nash.  My last CD cost $5000 for 30 min worth of music (8 songs)  freaking thing got us signed, but the band broke up on the way to Vegas to record the final product and deal with the Capitol Records rep. (that sucked REAL bad as the bass player/ singer who left wrote 2/3 of the music and all of the songs that could have been "hits". hehe I tend to write instrumental music.  LOL that was 3 yrs ago last week.

This way is more cost effective and you don't have 15 people giving you "advice" on how that song should sound.  ;)  Now the only worry my room mate have is wether or not the other one will F up the tracks the other recorded.  :)

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
My song to you
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2001, 06:10:00 PM »
Hmm, Nash, I think this is the *first* time I've ever heard any of your stuff :).
Anyways..I can see the 'Yes' reference, although I'd be more tempted to call it 'Yes meets Pixies'  :). Good stuff!