Author Topic: Concerts to Remember  (Read 1976 times)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Concerts to Remember
« on: December 28, 2001, 05:45:00 PM »
I really enjoyed the thread about late 60's rock, brought back some great memories. I had the opportunity to see many wonderful live concerts starring many of the bands mentioned. Some really stand out though:

The Dead and The Who - Day on the Green Candlestick Park 1976.

Jethro Tull - The debute of Tullivision 1975 LA Colliseum. (the opening act was Marshall Tucker..lol go figure). Handed a joint to an undercover LAPD sargeant at this one. I shoulda guessed, he was the only black guy in the crowd.

Genesis - 197? sorry kinda foggy there. But the originators of the laser light show. Had to ask 2 LAPD motorcycle cops to move their bikes (blocking my car) while in no state to drive. One of my braver / dumber moves.

Any of the other dozen or so Dead shows I experienced. Spent one in San Jose partying with about 100 Hells Angels and lived to tell about it.

The riot I personally started at a Rod Stewart concert at Angel Stadium (now Edison Field). Maybe for later in this thread if anyone cares to hear the story. It was sort of an accident.

Anyway, what concerts were memorable for you?

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Concerts to Remember
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2001, 07:20:00 PM »
What a great off topic thread..But I'm gonna deviate and list the top 5 shows I couldn't see(for one reason or another..)

#1:The Who At Leeds(Check out the re-issue 2 CD deluxe version)..Oh what I'd give to have seen that one.
#2:The Sex Pistols Play The Queens Jubilee on Rented Yacht:They play 5 songs then get boarded by the Bobbies..Fighting,rioting,arrests..what a show!!
#3:Jimi Hendrix At Filmores New Years Eve 1970:With Billy Cox and Buddy(Bombast)Miles..One of the scariest live preformances ever recorded.
#4:Rush:1978 Hammersmith Odeon(London)..Every song on this show is way better than the LP versions...You can almost smell the dry ice and those long haired dudes with droopy clothes...  :D (Different Stages CD)
#5:Allman Brothers Live At Filmore:Saving the best for last.They started at 9pm and finished at sunrise.They greatest jam band of all time!!!(Greatfull Dead fans just don't get it!)

:D
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Concerts to Remember
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2001, 07:51:00 PM »
May 18th 1977. Bill Graham, All English Day on the Green, Oakland Colesum. 'Stadium Seating'

Gary Wright (warm up)
Robin Trower
Dave Mason
Fleetwood Mac
Peter Frampton

I'm stunned I even remember this! Twas a fediddlein awsome concert.  :D
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Concerts to Remember
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2001, 08:19:00 PM »
Sirloin - I forgot 1

Opener - Little Feat WOW!
then Dave Mason
then the Allman Bros.
In Santa Barbara surrounded by a sea of beautiful UCSB coeds......aaaaaahhhhhhhhh

I still gotta lean toward the Dead though for jammin...but the best live performers I have ever seen are Little Feat. If you have never heard "Waiting for Columbus" their live album, please try it out.

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
Concerts to Remember
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2001, 08:25:00 PM »
1st show Black Sabbeth and Yes LA Forum '72
Poco Harrm (sp) at Hwd Bowl sept 22nd '72
Calif Jam '73
Dead at Winterland '73
Orzark music festival summer '74 Sadialla MI
David Bowie Spiders from Mars show Santa Monica civic. '74
Gennises Lamb lies down on Broadway show LA Shrine auditorum '74
Elton John at Doger statium '75
Jetrow tull orange co '75
Who orange co '75
Stones Honolulu '75
Stones Oakland '75
Dead Oakland '75
Roxy Music Hwd Paliadum '75
David Bowie Forum '75
Pink Floyd LA sports arena '76 (dark side of the moon show)

(spent 2 yrs working with super rednecks)

Roxy music at pasadena '78
Pink Floyd LA sports arena '80 (the Wall show)
Who & Clash '81 Sports arena
Stones Collisum '81
US festivel '82
US festivel '83
Dead Ventura '86
Dead San Jose '87 (hey we went to the same show)
Dead Calivaris (sp) in serria foothills '87
to name a few...  :)
10B

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
Concerts to Remember
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2001, 09:14:00 PM »
Been to a lot of shows with big productions and fireworks, lasers, and the like. But by far cheap trick put on the best show. They just came out and played and it honestly seemed like they where enjoying it as much as we where. More encores than I could count.

ps sometime in the early 80's

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
Concerts to Remember
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2001, 10:33:00 PM »
Wow great thread,

where to start?
Black Sabbath (Loads of times but most memorable one, in the 3rd row the year they released Volume 4) 197??
Ozzy (Of course),Deep Purple at Knebworth & Wembley Arena, Dio - Holy Diver Tour & recently supporting Alice Cooper, Alice Cooper most recently was earlier this year, still puts on a great show.
Meatloaf, Scorpions, Rush, Hawkwind, Status Quo (When they were good), Budgie (Local band supported Sabbath a few times), Eagles, Montrose, Emerson Lake & Palmer. The list goes on, think it's about time I got the old vinyl out.

TTFN
snafu

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Concerts to Remember
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2001, 12:53:00 AM »
Wow.....

First concert was Yes "In the Round" on May 8 1979 Seattle center.  I was 16 adn the crowd I went with all started leaving at the end of the show not realizing there was such a thing as an encore.  We went back in   ;)

Another early notable was Cheap Trick at the Hec Edmonson Pavilion Aug 2 1979

I saw just about every worthwhile show in Seattle between 79-85 too numerous to list but I should try.

Nazareth
Who
Stones
Benatar
Yes
Squire
Bowie
Adams
Van Halen
Yes
Fleetwood Mac
Blondie
Cars
Tull
Yes

I recall seeing Little River Band about 5 times.  Great shows every one.  Loggins and Messina opened for one of those shows.

Many Others I cant remember

and oh yeah, Cheap Trick
              Cheap Trick
             Cheap Trick
              Cheap Trick
               Cheap Trick

LOL

Yeager

[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: Yeager ]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Concerts to Remember
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »
SLAYER

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Concerts to Remember
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2001, 05:11:00 AM »
Skydome Toronto198?:Chuck Berry,Little Richard,Bo Diddley,Jerry Lee Lewis,Ronni Hawkins(and others I can't remember)..Memorable cause Bo Diddley was badly outta tune and some idiots in the crowd of old fogies started booing.Chuck Berry was next and he pissed the crowd off by having the Jumbo-tron turned off for his preformance..All you could hear for the next 30 minutes was 40,000 BOOOOO's!!!..Lol!Then Little Richard came out,started taunting the crowd by tossing his watch and jewellery into the floor seating.It worked!The crown went nuts and he stole the show!!
Kim Mitchell(Kingswood Music Theatre)198?:This was an outdoor venue at Canada's Wonderland.Mostly memerable because of the near riot before he went on.The crowd in the lawn seating proceeded to start ripping chunks of the newley laid sod(mostly at the saps in the reserved seating)I got nailed at the back of the head(OUCH!!!)so I stood up to see who threw it and was promptly pounced on by 3 security guys.They roughed me up a bit,dragged me away but I was able to convince them with my soil free hands that I had not done any sod launching(Yet!..)and they let me return..The show was GREAT and at the end I looked back at the grounds and there was not a patch of grass left anywhere..!
Bob Dylan with Tom Petty & Heartbreakers(Rich Staduim 198?)Great show!You could tell Bob was up for it and you could even make out his vocals..)Opening was the Greatfull Dead(I was impressed but still no Allman Bro's).. :)
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Concerts to Remember
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2001, 05:17:00 AM »
Iggy Pop(Halloween 2000,Warehouse Toronto)..Had to add this too.He and his band were great!near the end he jumped into the crowd,they passed his scrawny frame around the entire floor and when he made it back to the stage he jumped up and you could see he was cut all over from peoples nails.But he kept on rocking!(Prolly so goofed up on drugs he didn't feel it..).. :)
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Broes

• Copper Member
Concerts to Remember
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2001, 05:23:00 AM »
Bjork in Paradiso, Amsterdam, about 1989... Before she got famous, it was an old church rebuild as music hall, 200 fans...  :) Great!

Broes

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
Concerts to Remember
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2001, 08:21:00 AM »
Peter Frampton and Fleetwood Mac opening for the Dead @ RFK in DC. 1975, I think.

Very interesting crowd.

dh
(hard to remember 'cause of all the Thai stick   :D )

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Concerts to Remember
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2001, 08:35:00 AM »
the Who in the Gator Bowl '75

Bob Seager & Fleetwood Mac in Orlando, stadium '76

Kansas, Bad Company 76 & 01, Moody BLues about 4 times, Pink Floyd in JFK stadium, Beach Boys & Outlaws 1st concert '75. Billy Joel, John Cougar & Heart, Eric Clapton, David Bowie

skyhooks, areosmith, ZZtop, Lynard Skynards 2nd to last show, Ted Nugent, Dan Folgerberg last year - amazing one man show. And the Eagles Hell Freezes Over Tour.

seems at one point in HS, we were going to a show once a month   :)

best ones are probably the ones I don't fully recall ...

and you guys thought me a "square"   :)

old age & kids have just turned me into a rectangle   :)

[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: Eagler ]
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Concerts to Remember
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2001, 09:24:00 AM »
:)

My first concert was Tony Orlando and Dawn when I was 3 or 4 yrs old back in '72.  Then at 6 my parents took me to see Captain and Taneal  :D Muskrat love baby!

First "solo" concert was at 12 and I saw Asia in 81.

Fleetwood Mac w/ Men at Work - '82
 Night Ranger w/ John Cougar - '83
 Queensryche, Axe and Quiet Riot - '83
 Ozzy w/ Motley Crue - '83
 DIO w/ Dokken - '84

The next was my best concert night ever 2 different shows one at the Summit and the other at a club called Cardi's in Houston early 1985. Iron Maiden with Wasp, then off the see Metallica at Cardi's  :)  I was at the stage in front of James.  Loudest show I've ever been too, my ears rang for 3 days.

DIO w/ RuffCut (11th row) - '85
 Triumph w/ Saxxon (6th row) - '85
 Ozzy w/ Metallica - '86
 Judas Priest w/ Dokken - '86
 AC/DC w/ Queensryche - '86
 Iron Maiden w/ ? - '86
 Chicago w/ MOM!  :) (2nd row!) - '86
 Chicago @ Houston Rodeo - '87
 Aerosmith and Boston - '87
 Metallica, Van Hagar, Scorpions, Dokken - '88
 Metallica w/ The Cult - '89
 Greg Alman - '89