Author Topic: Intelligent Design out of Pub Schools in PA  (Read 2461 times)

Offline BigGun

• Silver Member
Intelligent Design out of Pub Schools in PA
« on: December 20, 2005, 12:14:14 PM »
so the court opinion is...

Article
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 01:12:12 PM by BigGun »

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 12:23:18 PM by Sandman »
sand

Offline BigGun

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 01:12:54 PM »
you da man..thanks

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 02:28:20 PM »
knotch one up for the good guys :aok . Religion has its place but that place is not in a science class.

asw
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline lada

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 02:34:13 PM »
pretty good news.
read it on CNN and BBC few hours ago.

The question is.... how did that "chit" manage to get into the school ?
Was it private action of 1 teacher or what ?

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 02:55:22 PM »
intelligent design?  You mean like a North American P-51D ?
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline BigGun

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 03:15:07 PM »
Originally posted by lada
pretty good news.
read it on CNN and BBC few hours ago.

The question is.... how did that "chit" manage to get into the school ?
Was it private action of 1 teacher or what ?

I think it was the action of the local school board.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 03:17:09 PM »
Sanity 1
Sillyness 0

Offline Skilless

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.4remnants.com
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 03:40:30 PM »
When I was in high school (a long time ago), we had an elective called "Bible Mythology".  It was  a class that was taught right alongside Roman and Greek mythology.  

To teach religion as a fact or a science is rediculous, but to leave it out completely or to single out Christianity is silly too.  If it is relevant to teach kids about Greek and Roman gods then why should it be irrelevant to teach them about the befiefs of Judaism or Christianity or even Islam for that matter?  

I'm not saying that these things should be taught as fact and I certainly don't think they should be required, but I think it is important for people to learn about their religious heritage and the religious befiefs of those of different cultures.  

Religious convictions should come from a climate at home, if so desired.  Knowledge of personal heritage and the heritage of others is a powerful tool that can lead to understanding and harmony.

let us all join hands and sing Kumbya

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 03:56:44 PM »
Love the article in the link. I can't imagine what the writer's political affiliation is or what he personally thinks of ID:

"The ruling by U.S. District Judge John Jones dealt a blow to U.S. Christian conservatives who have been pressing for the teaching of creationism in schools and who played a significant role in the re-election of President George W. Bush"

:rofl

It would be like a conservative writing on the ruling and saying "The ruling by U.S. District Judge John Jones handed a victory to secular humanists who have been pressing for the teaching of atheistic materialism in schools and who play a significant role in the Democratic Party"
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 04:00:35 PM by Seagoon »
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 04:00:23 PM »
Why not teach intelligent design is religious studies classes? There doesn't seem to be much common sense applied in this situation.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 04:09:19 PM »
'llo Dowding,

Originally posted by Dowding
Why not teach intelligent design is religious studies classes? There doesn't seem to be much common sense applied in this situation.

Because Intelligent Design isn't Christian (or any other religion for that matter) doctrine or taught in the Bible, Creationism is.

As popular as they are Darwin's Black Box and Darwin on Trial are not part of the bible, neither do they teach biblical creationism. When, for instance, I teach on the creation of the universe, I do not ask the congregation to turn to 1st Behe or 2nd Dembski, I ask them to open their bibles and turn to Genesis 1 & 2.

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline BigGun

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2005, 04:27:48 PM »
Originally posted by Seagoon
'llo Dowding,

Because Intelligent Design isn't Christian (or any other religion for that matter) doctrine or taught in the Bible, Creationism is.

- SEAGOON

I must claim partial ignorance on the Intelligent Design cirriculum. My understanding was that the underlying foundation of ID is creationism, call it religion or whatever. Would be interested in your knowledge of what ID is?

Also, what is your view in regards to creationism being taught in schools? religion?

Offline Booz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2005, 04:46:53 PM »
psst... Seagoon, Intelligent Design IS Creationism. It just carries lots of vacuous scientific sounding terms thrown in to disguise it and make it sound reasonable. This Dover case showed that in spades.

The jig is up.

They just got caught (big time) pretending it isn't creationism so they could get it in the schools. The fundy proponents got nailed lying thier butts off in court, the judge was not amused.  They even found early drafts of Behe's book before they replaced the use of  "creationism" with the "ID" term. Someone always slips up and lets the cat out of the bag. Kansas already screwed the pooch on this too.

from a recent article:

The [Kansas Board of Education's] chairman, Steven Abrams, is a
middle-aged veterinarian who says he is a man who knows science. He insists the
guidelines [for teaching science adopted November 7] will not damage
science teaching in the state. "Eventually people will have to choose
between the Bible's explanation for life on Earth or evolution, which is
just dogma."

Read the rest at:
<http://tinyurl.com/ar7nq>

Words like that just scream "teach my religion", the dope couldn't keep his mouth shut. So as soon as someone sues the Kansas school board it's already lost. They'll probably throw out those religious fundamentalists and re-elect reality based school board members again, just like the last time in Kansas. Just like Dover did.

Watch for "Directed Development" next from those geniuses at the Discovery Institute....but stfu about what it really is ok?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 05:02:29 PM by Booz »

Offline Skilless

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.4remnants.com
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2005, 04:55:38 PM »
Biggun-

Intelligent Design points toward the many holes in the scientific explanation of the universe and suggests that we use "God" to fill in the blanks (I believe God and Creator are interchangeable).  Also the fact that so many unlikely huge coincidences have had to happen to put us here points towards a creator.  What they fail to wrap their minds around is the fact that in an infinite universe there are infinite possibilities (including Intelligent Design)

One thing I know from past discussions around here is that you'll never get anyone to admit they don't know how we got here.