Author Topic: Mi-28 & Ka-50/52  (Read 308 times)

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
Mi-28 & Ka-50/52
« on: January 13, 2006, 03:54:18 AM »
I've heard conflicting statements that the MI-28 has an ejection system that blows the rotors off, but from others that it blows the rotors off and the Pilot/Copilot Gunner just roll out and parachute if there is enough altitude. Which is the correct 1?

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Mi-28 & Ka-50/52
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 04:19:47 AM »
http://www.aeronautics.ru/archive/vvs/mi28-01.htm:

"parachutes are mandatory for Russian Federation and Associated States (CIS) military helicopter aircrew; if Mi-28  crew had to parachute, emergency system would jettison doors, blast away stub-wings, and inflate bladder beneath each door sill; as crew jumped, they would bounce off bladders and clear main landing gear; no provision for rotor separation;"

Offline Estel

• Copper Member
Mi-28 & Ka-50/52
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 08:15:14 AM »
Originally posted by Staga
http://www.aeronautics.ru/archive/vvs/mi28-01.htm:

"parachutes are mandatory for Russian Federation and Associated States (CIS) military helicopter aircrew; if Mi-28  crew had to parachute, emergency system would jettison doors, blast away stub-wings, and inflate bladder beneath each door sill; as crew jumped, they would bounce off bladders and clear main landing gear; no provision for rotor separation;"

I'll quote from Mil-24 Aircraft manual... By memory sure.

When executing flights with troops or injured personell as a medical evacuation unit, crew approved to fly without chutes. In this case, the chute socket in the seat should be covered with special pad.

In Mil-24 standart crew have 3. Pilot, Operator and flight-technician (flight-chief?). In case of emergency, the flight-technician will not survive. Usually they have not any time to depressurise the cabin and open doors to jump. So we flyed without chutes. We learned that pilot can not leave aircraft if there is anybody onboard. Captain leaving his ship last.
So, I don't think they'll use chutes.

Offline Harry

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Mi-28 & Ka-50/52
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 09:20:54 AM »
The Ka-50 and Ka-52 gunships use the Zvezda K-37 Helicopter Extraction System.

"The system jettisons the five blades of the main rotor with explosive bolts at the roots on initiation. Then the canopy glass is jettisoned and the rocket assembly, the white cylinder at the top, is catapulted out of the cockpit. This is connected by a lanyard system to the aircrew and once the rocket ignites, this lanyard is used to extract the aircrew. The parachute is deployed rapidly afterwords."

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
Mi-28 & Ka-50/52
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 11:41:37 AM »
Those Russians sure know how to make ejection seats.

I guess they need them more often :D

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Mi-28 & Ka-50/52
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 12:46:06 PM »
Originally posted by Glasses
Those Russians sure know how to make ejection seats.

I guess they need them more often :D

Maybe they just value their experienced pilots more..
Getting shot down can teach a man alot.
Keep in mind; Hartmann was also shot down more than once.

Offline Estel

• Copper Member
Mi-28 & Ka-50/52
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 01:14:07 PM »
Now what is officially said.

Mi-28 use new system to evacuate pilot and operator.
After activating it's dropping doors, detachable wing parts and pressurisating special airbags wich are preventing crew from traumas when they leaving the helicopter. Also there is used the newest passive securing system. Which can help the crew to survive and stay without traumas at sinkrate of 12 m/sec.
Rotor jettisoning is only on Ka-50/52. Also was tested on Mi-8, but wasn't in serial production.

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
Mi-28 & Ka-50/52
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 01:51:38 PM »
Whatever happened to autorotation? There's stories of guys having 20+ hueys, and later on multiple Cobras, shot to pieces in Vietnam, and autorotation kept them alive. A quick pickup & hop back to base, they'd grab a new helo, and back off to battle they went.

Cool Russian system though. Looks like it would make for a pretty crazy ride. I've seen footage of the U.S. testing a similar system, anybody know what happened with it?

Offline Estel

• Copper Member
Mi-28 & Ka-50/52
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 02:18:14 PM »
Autorotation is good enough. But only if main control systems are alive. If you can't control main rotor your only chance is altitude and speed.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Mi-28 & Ka-50/52
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 04:33:46 PM »
auto-rotation is the one and only way to survive in a powerless chopper, with the exception of these few in question. Unless you're only couple of feets high.
It will be extremely difficult without tail rotor and impossible without full control over main rotor - if the controls are severed, you're on your luck.
It simply relies on the air flow through the main rotor and its momentum - like a spinning wheel, which has tilted blades and an airflow going through.

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
Mi-28 & Ka-50/52
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 05:01:58 PM »
I always had a hard time getting them down in Jane's Longbow. Always did the flare too early or too late. Bad views and primitive graphics don't make it any easier. I made some nice craters though.