Author Topic: X45.... worth buying?  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
X45.... worth buying?
« on: January 18, 2006, 11:20:03 AM »
After 15 months im pretty sure im gonna stick with flight sims for a while. ;) Time to upgrade my cheap 8-button stick.

Unfortunatly, CH setup is way out of my possible expenses. I have looked at the X52, but didnt really like the way it fit my hand and most of all, i dont want to get a twisty stick. Getting an X52 *and* pedals isnt an option either right now.

Soo, since im used to rocker switch rudder anyway, i thought about getting myself an X45. Now, searches on the web didnt reveal much besides "what a great stick, Saitek wont ever be able to top it". The only drawback it seems to have is a rather unstable ´footing´.

Is it really that good? Any other drawbacks they are not telling about? Id appreciate any comments, experiences, issues, hints, tips.....
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 12:14:55 PM »
I find it to be rather large for my hand. The spring was stiff for my taste so I zip tied a couple of turns of the spring together. The biggest thing though is  the thing is sticky if you want to make fine adjustments. I keep a cotton swab that is greased up to lube the "cup" the stick rides in.

I hated the rocker rudder but that was remedied by a pair of pro pedals off Ebay. Mine has been getting a lot of use in the last year and has held up well although the rear view has started to stick on occasion.  Hehe...wonder why that view. :D

All and all, not a bad stick for the price. Lots of programmability options.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 12:40:36 PM »
I have had one since they replaced the X36 years ago

I tried the X52 and went back to the X45

pick one up at best buy, circuit city  or Compusa and get a service policy - for the price of the service policy, you can get a new one every year like I do

and yes, get a set a pro peds - the rocker is not good for main rudder control but it does work well when programmed for aileron trim

If you go with one, see my sig for saitek profiles
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 01:06:35 PM »
I like my x45. Had to do the same things Lye did though. Zip-tie'd springs, but I used candle wax to lube up the disc. I read anything petroleum based will case it to break down. The only problem I have now... about a year of use into it, is my main hat switch is starting to die. It's getting harder & harder to look right.

I couldn't get used to the paddle rudder either. I ended up getting usb pro-pedals. The setup is great now though. On the stick I've got view on the primary hat, elevator & aileron trim on the second hat, combat trim on/off on the pinky, fire both on the trigger, fire primary on upper left thumb, zoom on upper right thumb, and the usually fire secondary on upper middle thumb. On the throttle, I use a slider for ground/short/medium vis range, the little "mouse" hat for clipboard, look up, look down, & range, the little button next to it for VOX, the big orange button for WEP, and the rotaries for engine 1 & 2 rpm (the 38G got me hooked recently).

I very rarely even have to touch the keyboard now... unless it's to thank DaPup for shooting me down the second I walk back in from a smoke break.

Oh yeah, I tried an X52, but I hated it. I can't stand twisty sticks. Looks like I'm finally going to have to pay up for Cougar HOTAS :(
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 01:10:25 PM by indy007 »

Offline JTs

• Nickel Member
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 01:10:17 PM »
Schatzi
you dont need a new stick your hard enough to kill now.
JT

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 04:41:02 AM »
LoL, JT, i really wish you were right on that one......

I dont think the rocker rudder will be a prob, since im using one now and it works just fine for me.

I think with a little tweaking (as you guys did), i can get quite a nice stick for the price. Sounds like it will be an X45 for me.... If i ever manage to scratch up the money! Thanks for the helpful tips.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 07:45:27 AM »
I don't know that you'll like it schatzi.

I wouldn't buy anything schatzi until you've had your hands on it  & tried it out.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 07:51:38 AM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
I don't know that you'll like it schatzi.

I wouldn't buy anything schatzi until you've had your hands on it  & tried it out.

Well, thats kind of the problem with the X45.... havent seen it anywhere in a store anymore. All they got is the X52 usually (if any). Would love to get my hands on it first, but dont really know how or where.

Why do you think i wouldnt like it?

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 04:10:55 PM »
I have an early model X-45 that despite all attempts to calibrate, tips right.  I love the stick but clearly she's dying LOL

I'd like to upgrade to the X-52.  You can lock the stick and disable the twisty function.  (Go to yuor local best buy and see).  Then replace the rudder function with pedals.  (Although I do like how the X45 handles rudder)

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 06:46:49 AM »
Ahh crap Schatzi been using a chitty cheap JS all this time were all doomed now.... lol

Schatzi, I love my X45, Would have liked to have an X 52 but I think the Twisty would bug me.

The only issues are:

Rocker Rudder:
I find that my hands are to big to get at the rocker rudder, So I  setup one of my rollers as the rudder.

It can be a pain though as it does not auto center. more than once I left the rudder on full lock and let the plane use auto take off. only to find myself being flung to one side when I moved the stick and cleared the auto pilot.

Spring Tension
I also have used zip locs to losen the spring. I tried graphite powder but it did not help.

Its a pitty they did not make it adjustable like the fiction lock on the throttle (a little screw under the throttle)

Calibration
Even though the stick shows as being fully calibrated in Windoze and It looks calibrated in AH I find that I fly a HELL of a lot better if I calibrate it every time I start AH.

Stick Set
I have been working on a stick set up that assigns key strokes to the buttons you have a mode selector on the throttle and a pinky switch on the stick (gives you a hell of a lot of options).... But I have had problems where a button is assigned in AH say button 1 and in the Saitek software it is a key stroke. AH appears to activate the direct x button and the key stroke....

I am going to look at it further but it gets complicated lol

Other than the above Its great.....  I got mine on sale about %30 off

Dont forget that the hook on the pinky switch is removeable, I found that my hands are to big and the hook gets in the way. It does not tell you how to remove the hook in the Manual (stupid I know) but pull it foward and the hook just pops off..... There is an indentation that your finger will sit in so the pinky switch is still Very usable....

Good luck Schatzi let me know if ya get the X-45..... I might stand a better chance agenst ya while your getting used to it LOL

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 06:49:08 AM »
Oh One other thing mate..... reverse the throttle axis in AH.

I find it a hell of a lot more comfortable to have Max throttle all the way back and not all the way forward.

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 03:36:15 PM »
Hi Schatzi

If you buy X45, then stay a way from official saitek drivers. Those POS-wares cause tons of problems to me.

I use Dhauzimmer's excellent X36/X45-driver with powerfull XD-profiler. No problems :)

Tons of X36/X45 info
http://saitekhelp.simhq.com/

Dhauzimmer driver download (x36usb2105d.zip)
http://vega.dyndns.org/x36/

XD-profile
http://xdprofile.freebirdswing.org/index.asp

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 03:49:07 PM »
Ive just let XP find the stick and use the default MS Drivers.  Never had an issue with mapping or the sort.

I, too, have the calibration issue you mention.  I cant take my hand off the stick...it'll commence a right turn.

I've checked some other sticks...I just cant see paying the big bucks for cougars...and Ive never really been a big CH fan.  They are nice, but nothing "neat", you know?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006, 05:13:05 PM »
I use the saitek profile software with XP pro and do not have any issues
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
X45.... worth buying?
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006, 05:33:07 PM »
I don't know if it's still available on the Saitek Homepage or not, but you used to be able to get factory re-furbished X-45's for about $39.00.  They always tell you they are out of them, but if you call them, they'll put you on a list and send you one "when they get it in."  Only took about two weeks for mine to arrive. (It's a back-up - and my son uses it now...)
I second the idea about the pro-pedals, makes a great set-up with the x-45 for those of us unable to upgrade to the all CH level.