Author Topic: Mariners: Hottest team in baseball  (Read 1819 times)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Mariners: Hottest team in baseball
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2001, 05:32:00 PM »
Damn.. I'm somewhat disappointed that the Mariners failed to sweep the Yankees in NY again.  Only 2:1 this trip.  They must really be slipping.

AKDejaVu

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2001, 07:33:00 AM »
They haven't lost a road series yet this year.  I considered this the 'test' for post season, they passed with flying colors!  Unbelievable, 55 games over .500!

Offline Yoj

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2001, 10:26:00 AM »
I saw last night If they win one more road series it will be the all time record.  They are currently tied with a record that has stood since 1906 (or thereabouts).  No too shabby - baseball has not been this interesting since the glory days of the Blue Jays  :)

- Yoj

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2001, 11:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort:
They haven't lost a road series yet this year.  I considered this the 'test' for post season, they passed with flying colors!  Unbelievable, 55 games over .500!

The ONLY test for the post-season is winning in the post-season, period.

This, the Yankees do better than anybody else.  A grudgingly admitted fact from a Red Sox fan.

Cobra

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2001, 11:25:00 AM »
Cobra, I meant beating the Yanks on the road, not the "No-road series loss"..and your right, play-offs is all that matters.., why don't we just ignore the 162 games, and just start the play-offs in Spring?  Seems like a waste that those 162 games means squat (Except homefield thru-out the play-offs)..Safeco Field in Seattle is gonna be a-rocking...remember, the "Wave" was invented in Seattle...best sports fans ever, they even clap for teams that beat us fair and square, can the East coast say as much?

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: Ripsnort ]

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2001, 02:40:00 PM »
The ONLY test for the post-season is winning in the post-season, period.

I totally agree.

However, most sporting news people might not.  Especially after the first game of the series where "New York makes a statement" headlines were everywhere.  Then after the second game where "Seattle barely survives late charge from Yankees game 2" headlines were everywhere.  Then on to "Wow... maybe this Seattle team is for real" after they tattoed Pettit for 8 runs in game 3.

The media was ready to make an issue of the outcome, right up until Seattle beat the toejam out of the Yankees.  Now, we must wait until the playoffs to decide ;)

I just get the feeling there will actually be hope this year when the Mariners make the playoffs.

Yankees vs Mariners asside... I can't help but notice that the M's are about to officially eliminate the Rangers from any division championship hopes with some 35 games remaining in the season :D

AKDejaVu

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2001, 02:43:00 PM »
Rip, they're not clapping for the other team, they're just burning off the nervous energy from the millions of gallons of starbucks they've consumed!   :p
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2001, 02:49:00 PM »
LOL Deja!

Nifty, you are correct, this place is aptly named "Latte Land'.

Ripsnort (Tea drinker)

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2001, 02:50:00 PM »
The "Hottest Team in Baseball" is the Oakland Athletics.  Nobody has a better record since the Break.  If they meet the Domedweebs in the playoffs, we'll have to do some betting.   :)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2001, 03:10:00 PM »
at the time of this first post, it was seattle...lately yes, the A's, and they more than any other team worry me.  Of any team having a chance of beating seattle in a first round WC game, the A's have the best chance.

oh, and the dome is long gone.  :)

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: Ripsnort ]

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2001, 03:12:00 PM »
You can take the dweeb out of the dome but you can't take the dome out of the dweeb!   :)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2001, 03:22:00 PM »
Of any team having a chance of beating seattle in a first round WC game, the A's have the best chance.

Seems one of the commentators mentioned that this matchup is not possible in the first round.

AKDejaVu

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2001, 10:51:00 PM »
The "Hottest Team in Baseball" is the Oakland Athletics. Nobody has a better record since the Break. If they meet the Domedweebs in the playoffs, we'll have to do some betting.

They aren't the hottest team anymore.  During the peak of their "hotness" they were 3 games ahead of the M's (for the second half).  That is no longer the case.

AKDejaVu

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2001, 07:38:00 AM »
New team record set last night for most wins in a season.  They are on pace now to break the old MLB record of 118 wins in over 100 years of baseball, but of course, since I posted this, I have jinxed them.   :p

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2001, 12:39:00 AM »
Okay, I've been a disillusioned baseball fan for about 3 years now.  I love the game, and its entire history.  When I went to games, I didn't watch the boat race, didn't watch the moose.  Didn't watch anything except the game. And I scored it too.  Saw Bosio get his no-hitter after Vizquel barehanded that nasty top-hitter just inside his side of second base, and threw to first for the 27th out.  I taped Ken Burns Baseball when it first came out, and still watch it from time to time.  Even played fours years of amateur ball in my thirties (blowing out my right ACL in the process), because I love this game so much.  But, up until recently I stopped listening to the game, buying books by baseball people like Bill James.  I gave up, because baseball has gotten so GD greedy, turning into this mediamonster event of personalities.  I don't even want to get into, it hurts too much.  Anyway, I gave up on baseball.  There was still the history, still AAA, still Little League, but the Majors, they weren't about baseball anymore, so much as entertainment & money.

Then came the Mariners of 2001.  GD, where the hell did they come from???  These guys are the past coming back to do some serious ass-kicking.  This team brings to mind McGraw's Giants of the teens, and the Dodgers of the sixties.  The Mariners of 2001 are baseball incarnate.  They are superb pitching, superb defense, intelligent hitting and running.  Simply put, these guys are a little window into baseball's past, showing just how good it used to be.

I just watched tonight's game against the Indians at Safeco Field on FoxTV.  4-1, Mariners.  When it was over I couldn't help but laugh.  The pitching was awesome, totally dominating.  Not by velocity, but by placement and changing speeds.  The at-bats were steady, supportive, and definitely came through in the clutch(Ichiro hits .490 with guys in scoring position - four-frickin'-ninety).  The fielding was stellar, including a near triple play started off by Boone.  Moyer and Charleton both pulled off excellent 1-3s off difficultly hit balls.  Mclemore did an excellent 6-3 off a grounder, just getting Lofton on the throw.  Yeah, all I could was laugh.  It was like watching something goofy, silly.  Like David stomping on Goliath.

Well, I'm watching baseball again, because in a sport filled with athletic entertainers there is one team with Men at Work.  And as long as the Mariners continue their work, for better or worse, I'll be watching.

[ 08-25-2001: Message edited by: leonid ]
ingame: Raz