Author Topic: HO clarification  (Read 3712 times)

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
HO clarification
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2006, 03:13:02 PM »

c202 was an ACM fight.

be sure to post that one.

following your advice now poo.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
HO clarification
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2006, 03:14:23 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Who ever said that manouevering for a rear quarter shot is playing the game properly or realisitcly.  Rear quarter shots are just another tradeoff in the all the tatics availible in dog fights. If you belive that the rear quarter is the best tatic for you to use so be it. But if some one else chooses not to go for the rear quater, so be it, if your tatics are better you should win. But to say that someone else can not use a perfectly valid tatic, I.E. HO , as they choose to use it, is just "Plane" silly.

HiTech

What HT said. If I get a good front 1/4 shot, or even a straight up HO I take it if that is my best option at the time.

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
HO clarification
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2006, 05:52:17 AM »
When possible, mainly in long range merges, I avoid the HO, not because I think it is lame, not because I prefer to dogfight, but simply that by taking the merge-HO it allows my enemy a shot at me, something I usually try to avoid. In an even up 1v1 you lose many angles by pressing the HO, so I don't mind seeing my opponent commit to one at all.

At shorter ranges, while in-the-fur, quite often the time and angles available to detect and avoid the HO is insufficient. Also when fighting a numerically superior enemy in the bang you have to take any shot you can get to try to even up the numbers.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
HO clarification
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2006, 08:15:31 AM »
Only yella-bellied  k0warDz  sneak up on people and shoot em in the back!

;)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
HO clarification
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2006, 09:02:07 AM »
See Rule #5
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 12:48:15 PM by Skuzzy »
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
HO clarification
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2006, 09:53:44 PM »
I actually spent the time to read through the entire thread (OMG its long -- kind of like my reply!), and it seems the main complaints about HOs are a variation of a theme:  "I think I am better than you, but yet you managed to shoot me down, and thus I think the manner in which you did it is unfair."

Better can mean better ACMs, better situation, more E, whatever.  The complainer thought he had an advantage he could press, but instead he got HOed and now the complaints start on 200.

In other words, the guy who HOed had the audacity to defend himself.  You were trying to BnZ him, and he turned into you.  You tried to merge on his 6, and he turned into you.  You were heading at him like a dart, and darn it, he didn't play the good little target and turn away first.

So, IMO, if you have an advantage and it looks like the target is going to HO you, the burden is on you to avoid and go look for another target.  And BTW, you can ALWAYS avoid a HO -- it usually just means you are still toasted, just on another side of the bread.  In such a case, why not try to take your executioner out with you?

The "you should learn ACMs" arguments seem to be the least valid.  I am happy for and I salute everyone who hones his or her skills until you have turned yourself into a killing machine.  But you cannot expect the enemy to cooperate at all times and yield to your advantage.

In the American Revolution, the colonials often had the audacity to hide behind trees and snipe with rifles from 200 yards instead of stand in the open 30 yards away from the Redcoats and get blasted.  How dare they not fight according to the rules of war?  :(

T-34s at Kursk charged the Tigers and engaged at point blank range, at times ramming the German tanks instead of sitting back letting the Tigers pick them off at 2 kilometers.  Those peskie Ruskies should know that isn't the right way to conduct armored warfare.  :huh

More than a few Japanese planes used no ACMs whatsoever when they dove into the St. Lo, the Franklin and etc.  That's no way to properly use a bomber!  :mad:

So-called "insurgents" in Iraq use roadside bombs against US and coalition troops.  Don't they know they are supposed to congregate in one place where superior US firepower can deal with them properly? :furious

Now you are in the MA and want to engage in a fencing match, but your target wants to joust.  The nerve of some people.  :O

Things never change.  There is no point in whining about it.

So to answer ICU2's original question, IMO, there is nothing "wrong" with a HO.  Don't worry about the "stigma".  The complainers will complain no matter what happens.  And anyway, none has your home address, so they can't come beat you up if you annoy them.    :p

Whether a HO is a "smart" thing to do as a "matter of course" is amply answered by the following:

"you have collided with Target"
"Target has collided with you"

But that is the subject of another thread!
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
HO clarification
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2006, 05:45:52 PM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV

c202 was an ACM fight.

be sure to post that one.

following your advice now poo.

Sorry Bat, thats all I could find.  Obviusly not ACM related but you tought me a very good leson.  I'll try to find the one with the real ACM where you keep flying through bullets till you finally get a hit on my radiator.  Does ACM stand for "as long as your guns can't hurt me, I can fly for ever?"

http://www.furballunderground.com/misc/Bat_teaching_acm.ahf
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
HO clarification
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2006, 12:01:55 AM »
Originally posted by DoKGonZo
HO shots are artificially easier in AH than IRL and that allows far lesser skilled players to shoot down better players by leveraging this "feature." When you're new, it seems like a weird thing to gripe about. Once you get better you'll quickly get frustrated with it too.

If you're so much "better" then it should be no problem avoiding the HO.  People just won't accept when the lose, and its always the other guys fault.  Waaaaa!!!  Crybabies all!!
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
HO clarification
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2006, 12:09:00 AM »
HOs are used regularily for the very simple reason that there is no heavy penalty for dying in AH. Unlike RL, where there was...you were really dead.

Not hard to figure out.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
HO clarification
« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2006, 12:14:08 AM »
Originally posted by Sloehand
If you're so much "better" then it should be no problem avoiding the HO.  People just won't accept when the lose, and its always the other guys fault.  Waaaaa!!!  Crybabies all!!

Go play in traffic, sonny.

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
HO clarification
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2006, 12:16:12 AM »
Originally posted by Pooface
HO shots are only taken by pilots that don't know how to fight properly, or they just want to kill and run, and just want a good score. its very sad, and skilless.

going for a guys six instead of his nose means there is no danger to you, and you can kill more easily. i have no idea why people prefer to HO. really silly

Again people get so pissed off when you won't fight their kind of fight -- you know, the one where THEY win and you LOSE!  Sorry, didn't get the memo on the rules.  Next time I fight someone I'll ask for the script so I can play my part correctly.  God forbid I play the game to win whatever way I can, while in whatever situation I've gotton myself in to.
Here's an idea!  Paint in really big letters what I can and cannot do on your fuselage so I'll know in advance.  You know, a custom skin.  Something like "GO SLOW AND NO HO!".  Or maybe, "I'M BETTER THAN YOU, DIE QUIETLY!"
Then, when we meet in combat, I will say, "Hi, welcome to my skies.  I'll be your obedient target tonight."

'Scuse me while I dry these tears.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
HO clarification
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2006, 12:28:15 AM »
Y'know, I didn't see anyone griping here about losing a fight to a HO ... the comments have been more that the prevalence of this "tactic" lowers the ambient skill level of the game and just generally detracts from the overall feeling of realism.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
HO clarification
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2006, 02:38:58 AM »
I WILL take a moment and gripe about the dweebs who will turn into you from d400 out with no other intention but ramming (if you're wondering, yes I DID have that happen SEVERAL times over the last 2-3 days). Going for a forward-quarter shot is one thing, but wtf is with the bumper planes?!
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.