Author Topic: ComSoPac  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
ComSoPac
« on: January 27, 2006, 01:56:21 AM »
Well, here it is, a first look at my map: ComSoPac.

There's not a WHOLE lot to see yet, so here's a little information.

One thing I've found a bit disappointing is the Euro-centricness of the maps. Objects, terrain, all seem inspired by the European Theater's Western Front. Even the maps that are supposed to be based around the PTO look like they could be dropped into the ETO and blend in.

As the name suggests, ComSoPac is being built to FEEL like the Pacific Theater. Carriers will be more important than before, as while on most maps bases are evenly distributed across the landmass, in ComSoPac the predominant feature is water. Lots, and LOTS, of water. There are three "mainland" areas, each with a dense concentration of bases. However out to sea, land bases will be largely scattered across miles of ocean with a few places where the islands are clustered (reminiscient of the Solomons and Phillippines). It will LITERALYL be the carriers that are going to make or break the fighting in the heart of the map.

However, ComSoPac will punish the poor useage of carriers so prevelant in the arenas. While parking a task group less than a third of a sector off a base may make it more convenient to head out on a strike, quite often the CVs are left sitting ducks for jabbos and buffs. Typically, the loss of a carrier is no more than a minor inconvenience. Bases are close enough one can just up from another field and continue the fight with only a slight increase in transit time. Not so in ComSoPac. The scattered nature of bases means that losing a carrier will be a SERIOUS setback, depriving a country of what may be its only front-line airfield.

Anyway, on to the pics!

Buffs beware. Each country HQ will be guarded by an additional battery of ack at an elevated position. Any bomber formation looking to milkrun the HQ better be prepared to fly into a flak barrage from guns at elevations of 10k feet.

I'm quite happy with the way the terrain came out. There's some very interesting features, like the "trench" in the bottom picture.

Welcome to the Jungle!

One ubiquitous image of the Pacific Theater is jungle, and ComSoPac will make EXTENSIVE use of forests. Ideally I'd like to modify the trees, both to types more appropriate to the setting, and MUCH denser.

F4U prepping to lift off from a camoflage revetment. While some bases will still be the familiar default large, medium and small airfields, there will be even MORE custom fields of a number of types. That will have to wait until the next pic update.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline mamba2

• Copper Member
      • http://home.mchsi.com/~fightclub/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
ComSoPac
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 05:18:15 PM »
Nice job! can u post the map?

Offline Bogie603rd

• Silver Member
      • http://603sqdrn.collectivelyspaced.com
ComSoPac
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 08:45:53 AM »
Some of those pictures wouldn't show, I also didn't see the trench. Nice job on those valleys and canyons, it looks GREAT!:aok
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare:
http://603sqdrn.collectivelyspaced.com
Join our TeamSpeak server, Click Here.

New forum ID: Denholm

Offline SkyChimp03

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
ComSoPac
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 03:41:00 AM »
cant have objects in ma maps and also elv may be a little high id say go 12k tops

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
ComSoPac
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 07:58:35 AM »
Originally posted by SkyChimp03
cant have objects in ma maps and also elv may be a little high id say go 12k tops
Strange... Only elevation he mentions is 10k. The way a terrain looks in a screen shot doesn't truely represent the elevation of the terrain. 4k valleys can look alot higher.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
ComSoPac
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 03:27:04 PM »
Large Terrain + Great Scenery + Custom Objects = Special Events Arena.:aok
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline SkyChimp03

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
ComSoPac
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 03:46:54 PM »
Can you post clipboard map?:D

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
ComSoPac
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 03:57:45 PM »
Don't you think he wants to surprise you?
FlameThink.com

Offline SkyChimp03

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
ComSoPac
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 04:25:49 PM »
Originally posted by Denholm
Don't you think he wants to surprise you?

lol did you read his whole post? He said what he was making somewhat im all for suprises ;)

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
ComSoPac
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 09:11:46 AM »
True, true, yet parts are still a surprise I believe.
FlameThink.com

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
ComSoPac
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 09:15:50 AM »
Well, I've restarted things. There were a lot of problems on the old map and I decided I'd be better off just starting again from scratch.

Couple issues, tho.

First of all, ever since I moved to my new computer the editor screen is flickering, like it can't decide if it wants to show it as day or night. It gives me an awful headache and has made me largely stop working.

I may do two versions: one for the MA and one for the SEA with custom objects. However with the arena split would a 512x512 map still be accepted for the Main? Also, while I know custom objects are unacceptable for an MA map, can you modify groups like airfields by adding more AAA, or have airfields with a maproom on the base instead of in town?
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
ComSoPac
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 09:34:22 AM »
Saxman, you should check under the sticky thread in this forum, here is a quick link to it:
http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=176625

Also, someone else has been experiencing this bug with the screen "flickering" where it cna't decide if it's day or night. He made an animation of it and showed it here mentioning that even when the "time" slider is at 12:00 noon, it shows as darkness. It was diagnosed as the video card being the problem.
FlameThink.com

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
ComSoPac
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 12:48:25 PM »
The thread doesn't really answer the questions. It dates from before the arena was broken up. Also, the only statement is that there's no custom OBJECTS. Skuzzy never answered whether or not we can beef up the AAA at airfields, especially if it's done across the board.

The terrain size is my biggest concern, tho. For it to work as intended it NEEDS to be the 512x512. Now the nature of the terrain (many tiny islands, one big ocean) WILL funnel a lot of the fights into a more condensed area, (I expect a few areas will turn into total meat grinders) but I also want to leave plenty of room open for some REAL carrier ops, and I don't think the 256x256 will properly satisfy that.

And is there a fix for that flickering issue?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 01:59:25 PM by Saxman »

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
ComSoPac
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 02:06:26 PM »
Ask skuzzy about the flickering issue, i'm not sure. Now, I do know that they are not accepting larger terrains such as 512 x 512 for the time being. This is due ot the fact that there is a maximum of 250 (or 256) players for each arena, not nearly as many people join one single arena, so it wouldn't be as fun. Hitech said that once they get settled into the new format, they will start allowing larger terrains.

So right now I think a 512 x 512 is out of the question, maybe a 256 x 256, yet as you mentioned, it would ruin the possibilities of carrier ops.
FlameThink.com

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
ComSoPac
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 12:24:52 PM »
Here's a first look at ComSoPac v2.

Features of Note

Each country will have one big "Mainland," surrounded by a number of other large islands. These will be veritable FORTRESSES, with the densest concentration of bases. This means no winning reset with outlying bases, you gotta drive the enemy DEEP into his territory. In addition, this makes the home islands the most heavily and easily defended parts of the map. Large airfields, vehicle bases, and ports will be located here, as will HQ and uncapturable strats.

The small outlying islands will feature scattered bases, divided between large and small airfields and vehicle bases (although the latter will not feature particularly prominently into the map. Sorry, LTARs). Potentially, I may make only fighters/attack (to include planes such as the SBD Il-2) available at small airfields, and all planes available at medium and large. IIRC, HTC never said "no" to this, but no one ever said it WOULD be allowed in the MA, either.

In addition to Fortress Rabaul, there are three other "large" landmasses. Welcome to "Strattin' Island." Capturable strategic targets will be located here, around a large airfield. I MAY put a port here, too, so at least there's a "forward" CV base.

The center island SHOULD look familiar to long-time online sim fans. In here, it's Furball Island. Each country will have one small (inner ring) and one medium (outer ring) airfield. I intend to disable anything that can't be flown as a fighter here. I've intentionally left an open "neutral zone" around the center island to help discourage porkers/captures from the warzone.

You'll notice that the predominant feature of this map--more than any ot the Pacific Theater-style maps--is water. Lots, and LOTS of water.  My hope is that with the scattered nature of bases, CVs will become more than just kamikazee roaming airfields. With your only ports on the "home" island, losing a carrier will hopefully be viewed a MAJOR setback. no just a minor nuissance as it really is now.

Actual distribution of bases has yet to be decided, and I may make further adjustments to the landmasses, however this should give y'all a better idea of what to expect.